file system over usb-flash memory - Hardware

This is a discussion on file system over usb-flash memory - Hardware ; mkfs TEST over usb-flash memory mkfs /dev/sda1 -t ext3 (a lot of response...) 10 seconds wait... # mount -t ext3 /dev/sda /mnt/usbflash # (OK) REVERSE NOW! # umount /dev/sda1 # mkfs /dev/sda1 -t vfat response: mkfs.vfat 2.11 (12 Mar 2005) ...

  1. file system over usb-flash memory

    mkfs TEST over usb-flash memory

    mkfs /dev/sda1 -t ext3

    (a lot of response...)
    10 seconds wait...

    # mount -t ext3 /dev/sda /mnt/usbflash
    # (OK)

    REVERSE NOW!

    # umount /dev/sda1
    # mkfs /dev/sda1 -t vfat

    response:
    mkfs.vfat 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)

    1 second wait.....

    # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash
    ERROR: (Impossible to read superblock)
    #

    So I must format it using windows
    why?

  2. Re: file system over usb-flash memory

    toni wrote:

    > mkfs TEST over usb-flash memory
    >

    > mkfs /dev/sda1 -t ext3
    >
    > (a lot of response...)
    > 10 seconds wait...
    >
    > # mount -t ext3 /dev/sda /mnt/usbflash
    > # (OK)
    >

    > REVERSE NOW!
    >

    > # umount /dev/sda1
    > # mkfs /dev/sda1 -t vfat
    >
    > response:
    > mkfs.vfat 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
    >
    > 1 second wait.....
    >
    > # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash
    > ERROR: (Impossible to read superblock)
    > #
    >
    > So I must format it using windows
    > why?

    In the first example you mkfs partiton1, then mount the entire device.

    I assume that's a typo?

    Otherwise, nothing wrong with what you are doing - although I usually mkfs
    the entire device - but it VFAT on USB sticks work for me.

    Cheers

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread