2.6.18 kernel, AMD 690S and ACPI - Hardware

This is a discussion on 2.6.18 kernel, AMD 690S and ACPI - Hardware ; I've got an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mainboard with an AMD64X2 3800+ processor that I've installed Debian/Etch on. Everything works fine, almost, except for the ACPI function. If I set acpi=on or acpi=force, I get a kernel panic when booting. If ...

  1. 2.6.18 kernel, AMD 690S and ACPI

    I've got an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mainboard with an AMD64X2 3800+ processor
    that I've installed Debian/Etch on. Everything works fine, almost,
    except for the ACPI function. If I set acpi=on or acpi=force, I get a
    kernel panic when booting. If I set acpi=off, the machine doesn't turn
    itself off when shutting down (and presumably other power management
    functions are also blocked).

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: 2.6.18 kernel, AMD 690S and ACPI

    I demand that Gary Dale may or may not have written...

    > I've got an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mainboard with an AMD64X2 3800+ processor that
    > I've installed Debian/Etch on. Everything works fine, almost, except for
    > the ACPI function. If I set acpi=on or acpi=force, I get a kernel panic
    > when booting.

    Details?

    > If I set acpi=off, the machine doesn't turn itself off when shutting down
    > (and presumably other power management functions are also blocked).

    > Any ideas?

    Given the lack of info about the panic, all that I think can reasonably be
    suggested is that you try 2.6.21 from testing/unstable and/or check for a
    BIOS upgrade.

    | + Travel less. Share transport more. PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

    Oh, I couldn't afford a whole new brain.

  3. Re: 2.6.18 kernel, AMD 690S and ACPI

    Darren Salt wrote:
    > I demand that Gary Dale may or may not have written...
    >
    >> I've got an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mainboard with an AMD64X2 3800+ processor that
    >> I've installed Debian/Etch on. Everything works fine, almost, except for
    >> the ACPI function. If I set acpi=on or acpi=force, I get a kernel panic
    >> when booting.

    > Details?
    >
    >> If I set acpi=off, the machine doesn't turn itself off when shutting down
    >> (and presumably other power management functions are also blocked).

    >> Any ideas?

    > Given the lack of info about the panic, all that I think can reasonably be
    > suggested is that you try 2.6.21 from testing/unstable and/or check for a
    > BIOS upgrade.

    Never mind. I switched to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (2.6.20 kernel instead of
    2.6.18 in Etch) and that resolved all the problems I had been having.

+ Reply to Thread