Lost MBR after windows installed - Hardware

This is a discussion on Lost MBR after windows installed - Hardware ; Greetings! My difficulty is that the SuSE 10.2 MBR was hosed when I installed Win XP on the first SATA disk (sda1) and the SuSE partitions are on the second drive (sdb1, sdb2 ... sdb5). Since the MBR was originally ...

  1. Lost MBR after windows installed

    Greetings!
    My difficulty is that the SuSE 10.2 MBR was hosed when I installed Win
    XP on the first SATA disk (sda1) and the SuSE partitions are on the
    second drive (sdb1, sdb2 ... sdb5). Since the MBR was originally on what
    is now sdb1 and the MBR is on the other drive there seems to be no way
    to fix this other than to "update" the system. Is this correct? Doing a
    repair from install disk did not seem to work. The built in script kept
    telling me that it was trying to write to a disk that does not exist and
    failed during repeated attempts to fix this. Since the package checks
    seemed to see everything the original partitions are intact but the
    system seemed unable to rewrite the MBR to sda1.

    Has anyone ever seen this before?

    Regards,

    Bob Taylor

  2. Re: Lost MBR after windows installed

    Robert Taylor wrote:
    > Since the MBR was originally on what is now sdb1 and the MBR is on the
    > other drive there seems to be no way to fix this other than to "update"
    > the system. Is this correct?

    I'm not familiar with SuSE, but according to
    http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtorecoverboot.html
    it seems as if you should start by choosing "other" instead of "update".
    Once booted into SuSE use YAST to reconfigure your MBR.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: Lost MBR after windows installed

    Robert Taylor wrote:
    >Greetings!
    >My difficulty is that the SuSE 10.2 MBR was hosed when I
    >installed Win XP on the first SATA disk (sda1) and the
    >SuSE partitions are on the second drive (sdb1, sdb2
    >... sdb5). Since the MBR was originally on what is now
    >sdb1 and the MBR is on the other drive there seems to be
    >no way to fix this other than to "update" the system. Is

    I can't quite see how that happened. I just installed
    WinXp onto a laptop with only a single hard disk, and
    after putting WinXP on the first partition, it rebooted
    the Linux that was on the other partitions without any
    problem at all.

    You are saying that putting Win XP on one disk caused the
    _other_ disk's data to be lost.

    However, it appears there is more to this than you are
    saying. "The MBR was originally on what is now sdb1"
    suggests that what is now sbd1 used to be something
    else?? Such as, perhaps sda1? Did you add a disk, and
    move the original?

    >this correct? Doing a repair from install disk did not
    >seem to work. The built in script kept telling me that
    >it was trying to write to a disk that does not exist and
    >failed during repeated attempts to fix this. Since the
    >package checks seemed to see everything the original
    >partitions are intact but the system seemed unable to
    >rewrite the MBR to sda1.
    >
    >Has anyone ever seen this before?

    I'm not clear on what you had. It appears that what you
    currently have is WinXP installed on sda1 (are there
    other partitions?) and Linux on sdb with multiple
    partitions??.

    The problem would be that WinXP has installed a boot loader
    into the MBR of sda, and with it you cannot boot Linux on
    sdb.

    That's relatively easy to fix with a "rescue disk".

    Obtain virtually any of the "live CD" distributions of
    Linux, and boot Linux from the CD. Get a shell command
    line (exactly how depends on which distribution) running
    as root. Then do approximately this:

    > disk -l # just for fun, look at all of your disk partitions
    > mkdir /u

    # Assuming that sdb1 is the root partition of your Linux
    # installed on sdb, and that all filesystems are ext3.
    # Mount the essential partitions:

    > mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /u
    > mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /u/boot
    > mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb3 /u/usr
    > mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb4 /u/var

    # Now reinstall the lilo boot loader onto sda
    #
    # This assumes that your live CD distribution has an
    # editor (try pico and then vi). You'll need to edit
    # /u/etc/lilo.conf to indicate where the linux kernel
    # is, e.g. at /u/boot/vmlinuz or whatever. You'll also
    # need to edit /u/etc/fstab to show where all the various
    # partitions will be mounted when it reboots Linux.
    #
    > lilo -r /u

    # Now reboot, and it should come up via the LILO boot loader

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson

  4. Re: Lost MBR after windows installed

    Robert Taylor writes:
    >Greetings!
    >My difficulty is that the SuSE 10.2 MBR was hosed when I installed Win
    >XP on the first SATA disk (sda1) and the SuSE partitions are on the
    >second drive (sdb1, sdb2 ... sdb5). Since the MBR was originally on what
    >is now sdb1 and the MBR is on the other drive there seems to be no way
    >to fix this other than to "update" the system. Is this correct?

    The normal way to fix this is to boot from a rescue CD and then run
    the installer of your boot loader. No "update" necessary, whatever
    that may be.

    > Doing a
    >repair from install disk did not seem to work. The built in script kept
    >telling me that it was trying to write to a disk that does not exist and
    >failed during repeated attempts to fix this.

    This sounds like some problem I have had with grub-install, where it
    just did not know which drive I meant. I eventually got it to work,
    but it took many more tries than it should. I have not experienced
    such problems with LILO.

    - anton

  5. Re: Lost MBR after windows installed

    Em Sexta, 1 de Junho de 2007 04:22, Robert Taylor escreveu:

    > Greetings!
    > My difficulty is that the SuSE 10.2 MBR was hosed when I installed Win
    > XP on the first SATA disk (sda1) and the SuSE partitions are on the
    > second drive (sdb1, sdb2 ... sdb5). Since the MBR was originally on what
    > is now sdb1 and the MBR is on the other drive there seems to be no way
    > to fix this other than to "update" the system. Is this correct? Doing a
    > repair from install disk did not seem to work. The built in script kept
    > telling me that it was trying to write to a disk that does not exist and
    > failed during repeated attempts to fix this. Since the package checks
    > seemed to see everything the original partitions are intact but the
    > system seemed unable to rewrite the MBR to sda1.
    >
    > Has anyone ever seen this before?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob Taylor

    you allways have to reinstall the boot-loader after any windows
    installation... that's because windows allways sets the boot just for
    himself.

    google for "reinstall boot-loader" there are lots of ways to do it.

  6. Re: Lost MBR after windows installed

    Em Domingo, 17 de Junho de 2007 23:21, ArameFarpado escreveu:

    > Em Sexta, 1 de Junho de 2007 04:22, Robert Taylor escreveu:
    >
    >> Greetings!
    >> My difficulty is that the SuSE 10.2 MBR was hosed when I installed Win
    >> XP on the first SATA disk (sda1) and the SuSE partitions are on the
    >> second drive (sdb1, sdb2 ... sdb5). Since the MBR was originally on what
    >> is now sdb1 and the MBR is on the other drive there seems to be no way
    >> to fix this other than to "update" the system. Is this correct? Doing a
    >> repair from install disk did not seem to work. The built in script kept
    >> telling me that it was trying to write to a disk that does not exist and
    >> failed during repeated attempts to fix this. Since the package checks
    >> seemed to see everything the original partitions are intact but the
    >> system seemed unable to rewrite the MBR to sda1.
    >>
    >> Has anyone ever seen this before?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Bob Taylor
    >>

    > you allways have to reinstall the boot-loader after any windows
    > installation... that's because windows allways sets the boot just for
    > himself.
    >
    > google for "reinstall boot-loader" there are lots of ways to do it.

    Ah... there is some details i've missed...
    since you change sda to sdb now, boot up using a linux live-cd, and edit
    fstab and your bootloader config file (lilo or grub?).
    /etc/fstab (on the hd, don't confuse with the one created by the live-cd)
    /etc/lilo.conf
    /boot/grub/grub.conf or menu-lst

    then reinstall the bootloader.

  7. Re: Lost MBR after windows installed

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > That's relatively easy to fix with a "rescue disk".
    >
    > Obtain virtually any of the "live CD" distributions of
    > Linux, and boot Linux from the CD. Get a shell command
    > line (exactly how depends on which distribution) running
    > as root. Then do approximately this:
    >
    > > disk -l # just for fun, look at all of your disk partitions
    > > mkdir /u

    Hello,

    here i have no disk command. Maybe you mean fdisk -l to list the partitions?

    As live-CD i like to use RIP (Recovery Is Possible)
    http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-r...looplinux/rip/
    because there is detailed help included for such cases.

    Bernd Mayer

  8. Re: Lost MBR after windows installed

    Bernd Mayer wrote:

    > Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >> That's relatively easy to fix with a "rescue disk".
    >>
    >> Obtain virtually any of the "live CD" distributions of
    >> Linux, and boot Linux from the CD. Get a shell command
    >> line (exactly how depends on which distribution) running
    >> as root. Then do approximately this:
    >>
    >> > disk -l # just for fun, look at all of your disk partitions
    >> > mkdir /u

    > Hello,
    >
    > here i have no disk command. Maybe you mean fdisk -l to list the
    > partitions?
    >
    > As live-CD i like to use RIP (Recovery Is Possible)
    > http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-r...looplinux/rip/
    > because there is detailed help included for such cases.
    >

    > Bernd Mayer

    Personnaly i prefer parted, much more versatile.
    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

+ Reply to Thread