Arno wrote:-

> Don't do this yourself, unless you have extensive experience
> testing and repairing electronics. It may be risky, since you
> can find up to a potential 450V inside that PSU.

Thanks, I expect to be able to measure at the outputs of the
sealed box. Can someone provide insight or a pointer to the
possibly complex interaction of the: 1. PSU, 2. MOBO. 3. VDU ?

In the original PC design the PSU was hardwired for on/off,
and the VDU's inputs controlled only the display.

Now I see that VDU's LED of my 2nd box has a 3rd state:
which showed 'something wrong' when I floppy-disk-booted
between Linux and oberon.

With the new capabilities, there are potential complexities;
like the 'race effect' where the time-out occurs before the
boot-selection is shown on the not-yet-warned-up-VDU.

Obviously, there's a possibility of subtle faults where, instead
of just hardwiring the on/off from the PSU to the MOBO, you
instead:
- toggle a signal to the MOBO, which
- at some later time, depending on conditions determined by
the MOBO,
- sends a signal back to the PSU; which happens to power the
MOBO, which is controlling it [the PSU] !

Thanks for any input,

== Chris Glur.