"Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux - Hardware

This is a discussion on "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux - Hardware ; Hello, Right now i have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Rev 1012) with 2 S-ATA disks. I've setup the RAID 1 in the BIOS, but the raid is not detected under Mandriva 2006.0. Have you any recommendations for a new hardware ...

  1. "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    Hello,

    Right now i have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Rev 1012) with 2 S-ATA disks.
    I've setup the RAID 1 in the BIOS, but the raid is not detected under
    Mandriva 2006.0.

    Have you any recommendations for a new hardware under linux ? One which
    is detected and works well?

  2. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    Kaiser S. wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Right now i have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Rev 1012) with 2 S-ATA disks.
    > I've setup the RAID 1 in the BIOS, but the raid is not detected under
    > Mandriva 2006.0.
    >
    > Have you any recommendations for a new hardware under linux ? One which
    > is detected and works well?

    Don't bother - use the software raid feature (MD) under linux.

    The on board stuff is usually half-arsed and I've never been very happy with
    any I've tried to use.

    Cheers

    Tim

  3. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    Kaiser S. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Right now i have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Rev 1012) with 2 S-ATA disks.
    > I've setup the RAID 1 in the BIOS, but the raid is not detected under
    > Mandriva 2006.0.
    >
    > Have you any recommendations for a new hardware under linux ? One which
    > is detected and works well?

    I've used these.... they work well:
    http://www.accordance.com.tw/en/product/view.asp?id=90

    Since it's a subsystem, there is no driver issues.

  4. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:52:42 +0100, Tim Southerwood wrote:

    >Kaiser S. wrote:

    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Right now i have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Rev 1012) with 2 S-ATA disks.
    >> I've setup the RAID 1 in the BIOS, but the raid is not detected under
    >> Mandriva 2006.0.
    >>
    >> Have you any recommendations for a new hardware under linux ? One which
    >> is detected and works well?

    >Don't bother - use the software raid feature (MD) under linux.

    >The on board stuff is usually half-arsed and I've never been very happy with
    >any I've tried to use.

    They're software raid anyway. The offer no benefit other than setup through
    the bios.

  5. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:52:42 +0100, Tim Southerwood wrote:
    >

    >>Kaiser S. wrote:

    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> Right now i have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Rev 1012) with 2 S-ATA disks.
    >>> I've setup the RAID 1 in the BIOS, but the raid is not detected under
    >>> Mandriva 2006.0.
    >>>
    >>> Have you any recommendations for a new hardware under linux ? One which
    >>> is detected and works well?

    >>Don't bother - use the software raid feature (MD) under linux.

    >>The on board stuff is usually half-arsed and I've never been very happy
    >>with any I've tried to use.

    > They're software raid anyway. The offer no benefit other than setup
    > through the bios.

    Indeed. I specifically bought a motherboad (ASUS P5B) that supposedly did
    RAID 1+0 across up to 6 disks (4x320Gb SATA). I should have researched more
    because it turns out it's just fake RAID (like a winmodem is a fake modem).
    I was a bit annoyed, and use md instead and have no problems with it.

    Regards,
    Allistar.

  6. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    Kaiser S. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Right now i have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Rev 1012) with 2 S-ATA disks.
    > I've setup the RAID 1 in the BIOS, but the raid is not detected under
    > Mandriva 2006.0.
    >
    > Have you any recommendations for a new hardware under linux ? One which
    > is detected and works well?

    Almost all built in RAID controllers are actually "fake raid". Kind of
    a half way between software raid and hardware raid bastard offspring.
    If you had true hardware raid, the array would have been seen as a
    single drive automatically by Linux. To use fake raid you need to
    install a driver, which may or may not be available for Linux. It's
    usually a hell of a lot easier to just use the built in software raid
    driver of Linux.

  7. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    Allistar wrote:

    > Indeed. I specifically bought a motherboad (ASUS P5B) that supposedly did
    > RAID 1+0 across up to 6 disks (4x320Gb SATA). I should have researched more
    > because it turns out it's just fake RAID (like a winmodem is a fake modem).
    > I was a bit annoyed, and use md instead and have no problems with it.

    I made the same mistake. I bought a rather high end server class
    motherboard and wrongly thought it had hardware RAID. I was building a
    dual boot system so software raid would have been a real pain in the ass
    to implement. This is when I learned about "fake raid". I ended up
    giving each OS it's own drive instead of stripping them as I had
    originally planned.

  8. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    Ogre writes:
    >I was building a
    >dual boot system so software raid would have been a real pain in the ass
    >to implement.

    I would expect Intel's "matrix-RAID" (RAID on partitions, not on
    drives) to help here: Use software RAID for Linux, and hardware/fake
    RAID for the other OS. Does anybody have an experience with such a
    setup?

    - anton

  9. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:44:22 GMT, Anton Ertl wrote:

    >Ogre writes:
    >>I was building a
    >>dual boot system so software raid would have been a real pain in the ass
    >>to implement.

    >I would expect Intel's "matrix-RAID" (RAID on partitions, not on
    >drives) to help here: Use software RAID for Linux, and hardware/fake
    >RAID for the other OS. Does anybody have an experience with such a
    >setup?

    You're using software raid on both operating systems and there isn't a chance
    in hell that they'll be compatible with each other.

  10. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    In article <465d7cc5$0$5093$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, Kaiser S. wrote:
    > Have you any recommendations for a new hardware under linux ? One which
    > is detected and works well?

    If you want hardware RAID, 3Ware controllers work well and have been
    supported in the linux kernel for some time.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

  11. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    AZ Nomad writes:
    >On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:44:22 GMT, Anton Ertl wrote:
    >

    >>Ogre writes:
    >>>I was building a
    >>>dual boot system so software raid would have been a real pain in the ass
    >>>to implement.

    >>I would expect Intel's "matrix-RAID" (RAID on partitions, not on
    >>drives) to help here: Use software RAID for Linux, and hardware/fake
    >>RAID for the other OS. Does anybody have an experience with such a
    >>setup?

    >You're using software raid on both operating systems

    I doubt that I get the advantages of pure software RAID on the other
    OS if I use the Intel driver.

    Or was that a recommendation? If so, is pure software RAID common in
    other OSs?

    > and there isn't a chance
    >in hell that they'll be compatible with each other.

    If they have incompatible file systems, then having incompatible RAIDs
    does not matter. For data exchange between the OSs one could use a
    non-RAID FAT partition.

    - anton

  12. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    Roger Blake wrote:

    > In article <465d7cc5$0$5093$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, Kaiser S. wrote:
    >> Have you any recommendations for a new hardware under linux ? One which
    >> is detected and works well?

    > If you want hardware RAID, 3Ware controllers work well and have been
    > supported in the linux kernel for some time.

    If the OP is interested in SATA, the LSI MegaRAID cards look good on paper
    too.

    Cheers

    Tim

  13. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 06:46:51 GMT, Anton Ertl wrote:

    >AZ Nomad writes:

    >>>I would expect Intel's "matrix-RAID" (RAID on partitions, not on
    >>>drives) to help here: Use software RAID for Linux, and hardware/fake
    >>>RAID for the other OS. Does anybody have an experience with such a
    >>>setup?

    >>You're using software raid on both operating systems

    >I doubt that I get the advantages of pure software RAID on the other
    >OS if I use the Intel driver.

    >Or was that a recommendation? If so, is pure software RAID common in
    >other OSs?

    >> and there isn't a chance
    >>in hell that they'll be compatible with each other.

    >If they have incompatible file systems, then having incompatible RAIDs
    >does not matter. For data exchange between the OSs one could use a
    >non-RAID FAT partition.

    They will use incompatible data structures, data starting offsets, etc.

    If I was dual booting such a system, I'd cough up the 120 bucks and get
    a hardware raid controller.

  14. Re: "Best" RAID 1 configuration for linux

    Tim S a écrit :
    > Roger Blake wrote:
    >
    >> In article <465d7cc5$0$5093$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, Kaiser S. wrote:
    >>> Have you any recommendations for a new hardware under linux ? One which
    >>> is detected and works well?

    >> If you want hardware RAID, 3Ware controllers work well and have been
    >> supported in the linux kernel for some time.
    >>

    > If the OP is interested in SATA, the LSI MegaRAID cards look good on paper
    > too.

    Thx

    In fact, with everything written on this thread. We decided to avoid
    RAID and use "cp".

+ Reply to Thread