Hi all,
I have an ECS RS485M-M motherboard with onboard RTL-8139 NIC that is
quite uncooperative in terms of getting wake-on-lan to work
consistently. I've gotten Wake-on-LAN to work with many other
Ethernet cards with no problems, but with this one it was quite a
hassle. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this
situation, and maybe make it easier to set up for future users.

For starters, I had the BIOS properly set up, and with ethtool I found
out that WOL wasn't enabled. So I enabled it:

# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: d
# ethtool -s eth0 wol g
Settings for eth0:
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g

So then I shutdown the computer via GNOME, and sure enough I can start
it back up by sending a magic packet with the wakeonlan program. Very
nice.

But the problem is, every time the computer restarts or if I simple
ifup/ifdown the card, it "forgets" its wake-on-lan setting. So after
a reboot:
# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: d
# ethtool -s eth0 wol pumbg
# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: pumbg
# ifdown eth0
# ifup eth0
# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: pumb

Strange, huh? After cycling the card, it forgets the "g" wakeup
setting, but not the others. Of course, "g" (magic packet) is the
mode that I want. It's really strange behavior, something I've never
seen before. Does anyone know if there's a way to get this card to
REMEMBER the magic packet setting?

The other problem with this card is that if the OS crashes without
fully booting, or if I manually shut it down with the soft-off switch,
there's no way to wake-on-LAN at all. Not sure if this is an ACPI
problem, BIOS problem, or mobo problem... but I've never had it with
another card.

So has anyone seen a problem like this? Any workarounds or permanent
fixes? Thanks!

Dan