PCMCIA Lan card installation - Hardware

This is a discussion on PCMCIA Lan card installation - Hardware ; Hi all, I am new in linux, I wanna to install my pcmcia BUFFALO LPC5-CLX-CB lan card to the Redhat 8.0. But I am not sure how to add ? rebuild kernal ? and I know the linux would be ...

  1. PCMCIA Lan card installation

    Hi all,

    I am new in linux,

    I wanna to install my pcmcia BUFFALO LPC5-CLX-CB lan card to the
    Redhat 8.0. But I am not sure how to add ? rebuild kernal ?

    and I know the linux would be checked any new hardware at every boot
    up time, but it was running before pcmcia device turn on, so it cannot
    detect my buffalo lan card. can I change the bootup procedure?

    thanks

    steve

  2. Re: PCMCIA Lan card installation

    On May 22, 9:47 am, STandard wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am new in linux,
    >
    > I wanna to install my pcmcia BUFFALO LPC5-CLX-CB lan card to the
    > Redhat 8.0. But I am not sure how to add ? rebuild kernal ?
    >
    > and I know the linux would be checked any new hardware at every boot
    > up time, but it was running before pcmcia device turn on, so it cannot
    > detect my buffalo lan card. can I change the bootup procedure?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > steve

    I just did a quick google and discovered the driver you want is called
    axnet_cs.In my current Debian with a vanilla kernel directory it's
    located in /lib/modules//kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia. Check
    there. it should be called axnet_cs.ko. Once you are sure you have it
    type "modprobe axnet_cs" as root. Do a man modprobe for more
    information on the subject. It's been more years than I care to think
    about since I did Red Hat.

    For above of course, I mean the directory with the same
    name as whatever your output is when you type 'uname -r'. If you
    don't have axnet_cs then you may well have to recompile the kernel.
    and make sure you type either 'make xconfig' or 'make menuconfig'
    before you do so, and find the card if you can.

  3. Re: PCMCIA Lan card installation

    thanks your reply,

    and i try it as following:

    # modprobe axnet_cs
    # lsmod
    and I plug the card in, but it still failure to detect the card ?

    my procedure wrong or not this drvier (my card is LPC5-CLX-CB)?

    thanks
    steve

  4. Re: PCMCIA Lan card installation

    On May 28, 2:36 am, STandard wrote:
    > thanks your reply,
    >
    > and i try it as following:
    >
    > # modprobe axnet_cs
    > # lsmod
    > and I plug the card in, but it still failure to detect the card ?
    >
    > my procedure wrong or not this drvier (my card is LPC5-CLX-CB)?
    >
    > thanks
    > steve

    Plug the card in first.

  5. Re: PCMCIA Lan card installation

    hi
    I try to plug the card in first
    and enter modprobe axnet_cs, but it still failed to detect ?

    can you show me the detailed procedure to load the driver?

    thanks

    steve

+ Reply to Thread