motherboard recommendations? - Hardware

This is a discussion on motherboard recommendations? - Hardware ; I'm choosing a suitable motherboard for a personal Linux workstation, with an emphasis on high reliability/stability, including ECC RAM, proper system monitoring, etc. For several reasons, I also want serial console redirect or IPMI SOL (Serial over LAN) support. I ...

  1. motherboard recommendations?

    I'm choosing a suitable motherboard for a personal Linux workstation, with an
    emphasis on high reliability/stability, including ECC RAM, proper system
    monitoring, etc. For several reasons, I also want serial console redirect or
    IPMI SOL (Serial over LAN) support.

    I don't need excessive amounts of CPU performance (1 dual-core CPU would
    suffice), but I'm really looking for that "enterprise-class" reliability. The
    OS will be Debian GNU/Linux; a RAID drive configuration is planned.
    Low-latency matters for audio work (no IRQ problems with PCI card(s) as in
    my current machine). Binary kernel modules are definitely out so far as I'm
    concerned, and the machine will never be running that other OS.

    I'm considering some of the Opteron 1000 and 2000 boards from Tyan and
    Supermicro. If I bought a 2000-series board I would only populate it with one
    CPU, at least for now. I am also open to other manufacturers.

    Suggestions/Recommendations within the above constraints are welcome; warnings
    (what not to buy) would also help.

  2. Re: motherboard recommendations?

    Jason White writes:
    >I'm choosing a suitable motherboard for a personal Linux workstation, with an
    >emphasis on high reliability/stability, including ECC RAM, proper system
    >monitoring, etc. For several reasons, I also want serial console redirect or
    >IPMI SOL (Serial over LAN) support.
    >
    >I don't need excessive amounts of CPU performance (1 dual-core CPU would
    >suffice), but I'm really looking for that "enterprise-class" reliability. The
    >OS will be Debian GNU/Linux; a RAID drive configuration is planned.
    >Low-latency matters for audio work (no IRQ problems with PCI card(s) as in
    >my current machine). Binary kernel modules are definitely out so far as I'm
    >concerned, and the machine will never be running that other OS.
    >
    >I'm considering some of the Opteron 1000 and 2000 boards from Tyan and
    >Supermicro. If I bought a 2000-series board I would only populate it with one
    >CPU, at least for now. I am also open to other manufacturers.

    AFAIK Supermicro only does boards for Intel Processors.

    Buying an Opteron 2000 board will cost you a lot more for the board, a
    lot more for the RAM (registered instead of unregistered), and more
    for the CPU. I would not do that if you don't need the additional
    features (e.g., more than 8GB RAM).

    >Suggestions/Recommendations within the above constraints are welcome; warnings
    >(what not to buy) would also help.

    We have several Tyan boards, and are happy with them: A S2892 Thunder
    K8SE (2 socket-940), two S2865 Tomcat K8E (one socket-939), two S2882
    Thunder K8S Pro (2 socket-940). You would go for Socket AM2 or Socket
    F, and I have no experience there. I notice that I don't see mention
    of serial console redirect on the Tyan website for most of the current
    boards.

    - anton

  3. Re: motherboard recommendations?

    > AFAIK Supermicro only does boards for Intel Processors.

    Supermicro has been doing Opteron boards for about a year.

  4. Re: motherboard recommendations?

    General Schvantzkoph writes:

    >> AFAIK Supermicro only does boards for Intel Processors.

    >Supermicro has been doing Opteron boards for about a year.

    Now that I know it, I also find them on their website:-).

    - anton

  5. Re: motherboard recommendations?

    On May 22, 4:05 am, General Schvantzkoph
    wrote:
    > > AFAIK Supermicro only does boards for Intel Processors.

    > Supermicro has been doing Opteron boards for about a year.

    that would explain why their g965 board sucks: all the engineers
    and qa personnel that doesn't suck work on opteron boards now

    too many toys too little time
    maybe Intel could buy them and spare a few of their QA engineers?

    after all consolidation is the name of the game in the mobo market
    these days

+ Reply to Thread