sata2 "raid" support in latest kernels? - Hardware

This is a discussion on sata2 "raid" support in latest kernels? - Hardware ; Greetings! I need a new desktop, I want to dual-boot linux and windows. I'd like a raid1 protection, and I need to be able to access windows ntfs from Linux. Reading through forums on-line, I can see a lot of ...

  1. sata2 "raid" support in latest kernels?

    Greetings!
    I need a new desktop, I want to dual-boot linux and windows. I'd like
    a raid1 protection, and I need to be able to access windows ntfs from
    Linux.
    Reading through forums on-line, I can see a lot of people complaining
    about broken/nonexistent support for sata2 raid (aka fakeraid, pseudo-
    raid, semi-software raid, $#1T-raid, etc).
    Also a lot of complaints for hardware probing timeouts during boot.
    I am particularly interested to know if the latest Linux kernels (say
    2.6.20) have got support for such fake-raid SATA2 raid controllers as
    Jmicron and Intel ICH8R.
    Unfortunately, the system not being a Linux-only, I can't run software
    raid.
    I'd really appreciate some info on the subject, I need a new desktop,
    but any mobo produced in this century will have sata controllers which
    I want to make sure won't be a problem before I buy.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: sata2 "raid" support in latest kernels?

    noident@my-deja.com wrote:

    > Greetings!
    > I need a new desktop, I want to dual-boot linux and windows. I'd like
    > a raid1 protection, and I need to be able to access windows ntfs from
    > Linux.
    > Reading through forums on-line, I can see a lot of people complaining
    > about broken/nonexistent support for sata2 raid (aka fakeraid, pseudo-
    > raid, semi-software raid, $#1T-raid, etc).
    > Also a lot of complaints for hardware probing timeouts during boot.
    > I am particularly interested to know if the latest Linux kernels (say
    > 2.6.20) have got support for such fake-raid SATA2 raid controllers as
    > Jmicron and Intel ICH8R.

    Well, dmraid ( http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/) is intended to
    be used in such cases.

+ Reply to Thread