Enabling S.M.A.R.T. on Hitachi drives - Hardware

This is a discussion on Enabling S.M.A.R.T. on Hitachi drives - Hardware ; Hello -- See sig for spec. I have a number of hard drives in my system - 12 in fact. They are a mixture of Seagate, Hitachi and Western Digital. I have installed SmartMon tools, and I can get S.M.A.R.T. ...

  1. Enabling S.M.A.R.T. on Hitachi drives

    Hello --

    See sig for spec. I have a number of hard drives in my system - 12 in fact.
    They are a mixture of Seagate, Hitachi and Western Digital.

    I have installed SmartMon tools, and I can get S.M.A.R.T. readings from the
    Seagate and Western Digital drives, but from only one of the Hitachi
    drives, a 7K250.

    From the other Hitachi drives - T7K250 and T7K500 models - I get:

    S.M.A.R.T. Supported: Yes
    S.M.A.R.T. Enabled: No

    How do I enable S.M.A.R.T. on these drives?

    Many thanks for your help,

    Rohan Beckles
    rohan dot beckles at virgin dot net.
    --
    ASUS PC-DL Deluxe
    Intel Xeon @ 3.06GHz (dual)

  2. Re: Enabling S.M.A.R.T. on Hitachi drives

    Rohan Beckles writes:
    >From the other Hitachi drives - T7K250 and T7K500 models - I get:
    >
    >S.M.A.R.T. Supported: Yes
    >S.M.A.R.T. Enabled: No
    >
    >How do I enable S.M.A.R.T. on these drives?

    smartctl -s on /dev/...

    - anton

  3. Re: Enabling S.M.A.R.T. on Hitachi drives

    Rohan Beckles wrote:
    > Hello --
    >
    > See sig for spec. I have a number of hard drives in my system - 12 in fact.
    > They are a mixture of Seagate, Hitachi and Western Digital.
    >
    > I have installed SmartMon tools, and I can get S.M.A.R.T. readings from the
    > Seagate and Western Digital drives, but from only one of the Hitachi
    > drives, a 7K250.
    >
    > From the other Hitachi drives - T7K250 and T7K500 models - I get:
    >
    > S.M.A.R.T. Supported: Yes
    > S.M.A.R.T. Enabled: No
    >
    > How do I enable S.M.A.R.T. on these drives?

    What sort of controller are the problematic drives plugged into?

    If it's a 3ware or HighPoint RAID controller, have a look at the '-d'
    option to smartctl.

  4. Re: Enabling S.M.A.R.T. on Hitachi drives

    Guys --

    Thanks for your help - I found it just after I posted:

    smartctl -d ata --smart=on /dev/sdx

    I am surprised though that Hitachi drives don't come with SMART enabled by
    default.

    Best,

    Rohan Beckles
    rohan dot beckles at virgin dot net