How do you add another hard drive? - Hardware

This is a discussion on How do you add another hard drive? - Hardware ; I have recently installed Ubuntu 7.04, I have a hard drive that is 4.5 GByte capacity. I want to add a second to hold mp3, photo and other files specifically. Paul S. -- Paul Shayler M3TSF/G6TSF Running the Internet accelerator ...

  1. How do you add another hard drive?

    --
    Paul Shayler M3TSF/G6TSF
    Running the Internet accelerator ONSPEED.

  2. Re: How do you add another hard drive?

    Paul Shayler staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I have recently installed Ubuntu 7.04. I have a hard drive that is
    > 4.5 G. I want to add a second [disk]. [How do I do that?]

    4.5G? 1999 called, they want their disk back. Shut down the computer.
    Open computer case. Plug new disk in to power and data cables, then
    attach it to the drive rails using screws, making sure it's jumpered
    properly if it's IDE. Close computer case. Turn computer on.

    IDE disks: Channel 0 master = /dev/hda , channel 0 slave = /dev/hdb ,
    channel 1 master = /dev/hdc , channel 1 slave = /dev/hdd . The pattern
    continues. SCSI and SCSI-like disks: First disk = /dev/sda , second
    disk = /dev/sdb , pattern continues. fdisk the new disk and create
    partitions on it. mke2fs (or mkreiserfs, or whatever) the partitions
    you created. mount the partitions on appropriate mountpoints, and add
    lines in /etc/fstab so that those partitions will be automatically
    mounted on boot. Profit! HTH,

    --
    There was also a recipe for pina colada, in Portuguese, which the
    Google translator told me needed "hand grenades". Someone had put in

  3. Re: How do you add another hard drive?

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > 4.5G? 1999 called, they want their disk back.

    Hilarious.
    I bought a PC in 1999 and it had a 6.4Gig disk. I had no idea how
    cutting-edge that PC really was. PII 300.

    --Benjamin Franklin
    (remove _eh to email)

  4. Re: How do you add another hard drive?

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > Paul Shayler staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >
    >>I have recently installed Ubuntu 7.04. I have a hard drive that is
    >>4.5 G. I want to add a second [disk]. [How do I do that?]

    > 4.5G? 1999 called, they want their disk back.

    Please, don't laugh! I presently run a 4.1G and a 2.1G Fireball combo.
    What should the 2.1G be called? 1997? Why throw away such good disks?
    Chances are the one you buy today will be gone in 3 years from now.

    But, the times they are a'changin'. Most probably, when I upgrade my
    OS, I'll switch to 8G + 4G Fireball combo. 12G, man, can you imagine?
    Solid disks, those Fireball!

  5. Re: How do you add another hard drive?

    Yugo writes:
    >Chances are the one you buy today will be gone in 3 years from now.

    Why do you think so?

    It's hard to believe how cheap hard drives are nowadays, but my
    experience is that they are about as reliable as the older ones; e.g.,
    I bought two very cheap (EUR 55) 40GB drives 3.5 years ago, and both
    of them are still ok.

    Concerning the bad ones, we had some in the old days (Micropolis), and
    some more recently (Maxtor).

    >But, the times they are a'changin'. Most probably, when I upgrade my
    >OS, I'll switch to 8G + 4G Fireball combo. 12G, man, can you imagine?
    > Solid disks, those Fireball!

    I had a Fireball CR 8.4A (8GB), from 1999 or earlier. After replacing
    it with a bigger disk, I gave it to a friend. Recently it went bad.

    - anton

  6. Re: How do you add another hard drive?

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > Yugo writes:
    >
    >>Chances are the one you buy today will be gone in 3 years from now.

    > Why do you think so?
    >
    > It's hard to believe how cheap hard drives are nowadays, but my
    > experience is that they are about as reliable as the older ones; e.g.,
    > I bought two very cheap (EUR 55) 40GB drives 3.5 years ago, and both
    > of them are still ok.

    If a disk lasts for 6 months, in a personal computer use context, it
    will most likely last five years. It's when you get past 8 years that
    wear might set in and that you can tell which are the best products.
    Of course, people working in server environments can tell faster. But
    Quantum, in my opinion, qualified a very good HD company. To me, they
    set a standard of quality.

    What will happen next is hard to tell. Maxtor bought Quantum and was
    never able to bring the quality of its products to the level of the
    company it had bought. Seagate has paid 1.9 G for Maxtor. Will the
    deal be worth it or will it bring pressure on quality to keep prices
    down? It remains to be seen. Not for Quantum.

    > Concerning the bad ones, we had some in the old days (Micropolis), and
    > some more recently (Maxtor).

    And, in between, in the 200 - 700 MB era, WD had problems. I've seen a
    few out of not too many fail, but they must have overcome their
    problems since they're stil in business. I can't tell nowbody I know
    now use WD disks.

    >>But, the times they are a'changin'. Most probably, when I upgrade my
    >>OS, I'll switch to 8G + 4G Fireball combo. 12G, man, can you imagine?
    >> Solid disks, those Fireball!

    > I had a Fireball CR 8.4A (8GB), from 1999 or earlier. After replacing
    > it with a bigger disk, I gave it to a friend. Recently it went bad.

    You should have left a note saying that formatting disks with a hammer
    is not advised

  7. Re: How do you add another hard drive?

    Yugo wrote:

    > What will happen next is hard to tell. Maxtor bought Quantum and was
    > never able to bring the quality of its products to the level of the
    > company it had bought. Seagate has paid 1.9 G for Maxtor.

    All shares, though, it seems. It's still a lot of money. It would
    dilute the value of the shares if the deal is not successful.

  8. Re: How do you add another hard drive?

    To be honest, I've never been a big fan of Seagate drives. Over the years
    the only ones I have never tried are Samsung - I've had Maxtor, Seagate,
    Hitachi and Western Digital.

    In recent years the Seagate and Maxtor drives have fallen over most readily,
    while the Hitachi and WD units have stood up to the task. Of course having
    now written this...

    On a related note, when a drive is failing and goes into "limp home" mode -
    i.e. max sustained transfer is 2MB/sec - what's the official name for that
    condition? (assuming there is one)

    Best,

    Rohan Beckles
    rohan dot beckles at virgin dot net
    --
    ASUS PC-DL Deluxe
    Intel Xeon @ 3.06GHz (dual)

  9. Re: How do you add another hard drive?

    Rohan Beckles wrote:

    > To be honest

    I like people being honest

    > I've never been a big fan of Seagate drives. Over the years
    > the only ones I have never tried are Samsung - I've had Maxtor, Seagate,
    > Hitachi and Western Digital.

    I've had a 700 MB WD and I know 2 persons who had problems with WD
    disks in that time frame. Then, I bought a 4,1 GB Quantum. Then a 2, a
    4.1 and an 8 GB Quantum drives were given to me. Only the 2 and the
    4.1 that I now use and that were given to me have been used
    consecutively, except maybe for one year.

    > In recent years the Seagate and Maxtor drives have fallen over most readily,
    > while the Hitachi and WD units have stood up to the task. Of course having
    > now written this...

    I know nothing of Seagate and nothing of WD today. I suppose they're
    the brands I'd consider. I'd sure appreciate other opinions. One of
    these days, I believe I'll finally have to buy antoher computer

    > On a related note, when a drive is failing and goes into "limp home" mode -
    > i.e. max sustained transfer is 2MB/sec - what's the official name for that
    > condition? (assuming there is one)

    ?

+ Reply to Thread