CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y - Hardware

This is a discussion on CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y - Hardware ; I have install Knoppix 5.0.1 on my hard drive and according to a manual for a PCMCIA UMTS-GPRS card ( http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Voda...PCMCIA_Adapter ) I need CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC installed as a module. I found in my /boot/config-2.6.17 that CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y is iinstalled directly in ...

  1. CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y

    I have install Knoppix 5.0.1 on my hard drive and according to a manual for
    a PCMCIA UMTS-GPRS card
    (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Voda...PCMCIA_Adapter)
    I need CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC installed as a module.
    I found in my /boot/config-2.6.17 that
    CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y is iinstalled directly in a kernel
    and
    CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=m

    I downloaded my kernel source (2.6.17) and start
    make menuconfig
    trying to change CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC to a 'm' but that driver don't
    support that option.

    Obviously it is a long way to see this on my Knoppix
    lsusb -v
    idVendor 0x0af0 Option
    idProduct 0x6000
    bcdDevice 0.00
    iManufacturer 1 Option N.V.
    iProduct 2 Fusion UMTS GPRS WLAN
    iSerial 4 Serial Number

    Please help

    Newbie

  2. Re: CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y

    FreeStyler wrote:
    > I have install Knoppix 5.0.1 on my hard drive and according to a manual for
    > a PCMCIA UMTS-GPRS card
    > (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Voda...PCMCIA_Adapter)
    > I need CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC installed as a module.
    > I found in my /boot/config-2.6.17 that
    > CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y is iinstalled directly in a kernel
    > and
    > CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=m
    >
    > I downloaded my kernel source (2.6.17) and start
    > make menuconfig
    > trying to change CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC to a 'm' but that driver don't
    > support that option.

    You can build "USB Serial Converter support" as a module (with[*] "USB
    Generic Serial Driver") in order to get the usbserial module.

    Regards...
    Michael

  3. Re: CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y

    "Michael Mauch" je napisao u poruci interesnoj
    grupi:kf9uh4xm68.ln2@elmicha.333200002251-0001.dialin.t-online.de...
    > FreeStyler wrote:
    > > I have install Knoppix 5.0.1 on my hard drive and according to a manual

    for
    > > a PCMCIA UMTS-GPRS card
    > > (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Voda...PCMCIA_Adapter)
    > > I need CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC installed as a module.
    > > I found in my /boot/config-2.6.17 that
    > > CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y is iinstalled directly in a kernel
    > > and
    > > CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=m
    > >
    > > I downloaded my kernel source (2.6.17) and start
    > > make menuconfig
    > > trying to change CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC to a 'm' but that driver

    don't
    > > support that option.

    > You can build "USB Serial Converter support" as a module (with[*] "USB
    > Generic Serial Driver") in order to get the usbserial module.
    >
    > Regards...
    > Michael

    I was thinking that with[*] I didn't get a module. Ok. But how then is
    marked by Knoppix when I found:
    in my /boot/config-2.6.17 that
    CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y
    What then "y" means?
    I ask that because in a manual:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Voda...PCMCIA_Adapter
    it is wrote that
    USB Serial Converter... ---> USB Generic ...
    must be compiled as a module, to got:
    lsusb -v
    idVendor 0x0af0 Option
    idProduct 0x6000
    bcdDevice 0.00
    iManufacturer 1 Option N.V.
    iProduct 2 Fusion UMTS GPRS WLAN
    iSerial 4 Serial Number
    ...I still don't got that
    And I didn't shore that is on that way set on my Knoppix.

  4. Re: CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y

    FreeStyler wrote:

    > I was thinking that with[*] I didn't get a module. Ok. But how then is
    > marked by Knoppix when I found:
    > in my /boot/config-2.6.17 that
    > CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERiC=y
    > What then "y" means?

    Yes,[*] and "y" mean that you don't get a module, normally. But with

    CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
    CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y

    you really get the usbserial module (I have these options and I got the
    module). And yes, that is a bit confusing.

    > I ask that because in a manual:
    > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Voda...PCMCIA_Adapter
    > it is wrote that
    > USB Serial Converter... ---> USB Generic ...
    > must be compiled as a module, to got:

    That wiki entry probably was correct for older kernels. I updated the
    wiki entry.

    You want to have the usbserial module, because you want to use

    modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0af0 product=0x6000

    ..

    Regards...
    Michael

+ Reply to Thread