Low screen resolution running Debian R4.0R0 on old Presario - Hardware

This is a discussion on Low screen resolution running Debian R4.0R0 on old Presario - Hardware ; I'm running Debian V4.0R0 on an old Presario 7588. Yep, 128k RAM, 20th century BIOS (I've been waiting to say that). IT runs well, no issues with install or performance so far, but light usage. The only issue I've had ...

  1. Low screen resolution running Debian R4.0R0 on old Presario

    I'm running Debian V4.0R0 on an old Presario 7588. Yep, 128k RAM, 20th
    century BIOS (I've been waiting to say that). IT runs well, no issues with
    install or performance so far, but light usage.

    The only issue I've had is that the screen resolution is limited to 640x480.
    I'm not given any other options when I go to preferences.

    Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

    There is a BIOS upgrade available from Compaq (circa 2001) that says that
    includes a video BIOS upgrade. I have not applied it yet. And have no idea
    if it would matter. I'm not sure if I actually have to be running MS OS to
    do the upgrade. I'm thinking I do not as long as I can build the upgrade
    floppy on another machine. Problem is that the Presario is the only machine
    I have that still has a floppy on it. But I can solve that one.

    Any thoughts on what I should do next.

  2. Re: Low screen resolution running Debian R4.0R0 on old Presario

    Thanks Bill. That did the trick.

    "Bill Marcum" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 May 2007 21:58:00 -0400, GC
    > wrote:
    >>

    >> I'm running Debian V4.0R0 on an old Presario 7588. Yep, 128k RAM, 20th
    >> century BIOS (I've been waiting to say that). IT runs well, no issues
    >> with
    >> install or performance so far, but light usage.
    >>
    >> The only issue I've had is that the screen resolution is limited to
    >> 640x480.
    >> I'm not given any other options when I go to preferences.
    >>
    >> Is there something obvious that I'm missing?
    >>

    > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >

    > --
    > BOFH excuse #224:
    > Jan 9 16:41:27 huber su: 'su root' succeeded for .... on /dev/pts/1

+ Reply to Thread