TFT monitor recommendation - Hardware

This is a discussion on TFT monitor recommendation - Hardware ; Hi all, I am Ubuntu dapper user. i use the chipset Intel D845GLAD, samtron 56v CRT monitor,256MB DDr R.A.M etc. now i am planning to upgrade my monitor to a tft monitor (19") now my questions are as follows 1) ...

  1. TFT monitor recommendation

    Hi all,

    I am Ubuntu dapper user. i use the chipset Intel D845GLAD, samtron 56v
    CRT monitor,256MB DDr R.A.M etc. now i am planning to upgrade my
    monitor to a tft monitor (19")

    now my questions are as follows
    1)
    can anyone give a recommendation on tft monitor that i could use
    (dapper of course) without any screen resolution problem.I am posting
    this because i was initially planning to buy viewsonic VA903b

    2)does it mean that all models of viewsonic's 19" L.C.D monitors are
    incompatible with ubuntu?? (ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1459939)

    3) can any one give a list of Ubuntu dapper compatible 19" tft monitor
    list ???
    my chipset is Intel D845GLAD

  2. Re: TFT monitor recommendation

    siju writes:

    > 3) can any one give a list of Ubuntu dapper compatible 19" tft monitor
    > list ???
    > my chipset is Intel D845GLAD

    Sure: any monitor with a VGA or DVI connection. There is simply
    nothing a monitor can do to be incompatible.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: TFT monitor recommendation

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 23:28:41 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > siju writes:
    >
    >> 3) can any one give a list of Ubuntu dapper compatible 19" tft monitor
    >> list ???
    >> my chipset is Intel D845GLAD

    > Sure: any monitor with a VGA or DVI connection. There is simply
    > nothing a monitor can do to be incompatible.

    An LCD can have an unattainable native resolution.

  4. Re: TFT monitor recommendation

    > An LCD can have an unattainable native resolution.

    The monitor shouldn't have any issues outside of getting the refresh/sync
    rates right. Granted that it can only do your max resolution of said
    monitor. And anything less than that which isn't divisible by a whole
    number may look less than desireable on an LCD/TFT type screen.

    Given a choice, go with the highest resolution on the largest screen,
    with the highest contrast ratio you can get for your target $price$.
    LCD's tend to burn in over the years and the contrast fades over time/
    use. And don't let them tell you that one, much less three or four or
    more bad pixels is "acceptable".

  5. Re: TFT monitor recommendation

    siju wrote:
    > 1)
    > can anyone give a recommendation on tft monitor that i could use
    > (dapper of course) without any screen resolution problem.I am posting
    > this because i was initially planning to buy viewsonic VA903b
    >
    > 2)does it mean that all models of viewsonic's 19" L.C.D monitors are
    > incompatible with ubuntu?? (ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1459939)

    Read the above link again! The thread was started with message #1 by
    someone unable to configure his monitor. Next came message #2 were another
    user probably with another monitor also asked for help. In message #3
    there was a good reply and in message #4 the original poster acknowledged
    that he was able to get his monitor working.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  6. Re: TFT monitor recommendation

    ray writes:

    > On Tue, 15 May 2007 23:28:41 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    >> siju writes:
    >>
    >>> 3) can any one give a list of Ubuntu dapper compatible 19" tft monitor
    >>> list ???
    >>> my chipset is Intel D845GLAD

    >> Sure: any monitor with a VGA or DVI connection. There is simply
    >> nothing a monitor can do to be incompatible.

    > An LCD can have an unattainable native resolution.

    A monitor is never incompatible with software. It is theoretically
    possible to build a monitor with so outlandish timing requirements
    that no video card will produce them, but to my knowledge this has
    never been done. With an old, cheap video card you might not be able
    to reach the highest resolution and refresh rates of an LCD requiring
    dual-link DVI. Nowadays dual-link DVI cards are not at all expensive.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  7. Re: TFT monitor recommendation

    Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > ray writes:

    >>> Sure: any monitor with a VGA or DVI connection. There is simply
    >>> nothing a monitor can do to be incompatible.

    >> An LCD can have an unattainable native resolution.

    > A monitor is never incompatible with software. It is theoretically
    > possible to build a monitor with so outlandish timing requirements
    > that no video card will produce them, but to my knowledge this has
    > never been done. With an old, cheap video card you might not be able
    > to reach the highest resolution and refresh rates of an LCD requiring
    > dual-link DVI. Nowadays dual-link DVI cards are not at all expensive.

    I would have to beg to differ, Måns. I have a Samsung 205BW 1680x1050 TFT.
    It is impossible to drive it at native res with a Matrox G550 card over
    DVI, although VGA works. A replacement NVidia 6200A card however is fine.
    Monitor is a single link DVI.

    Common problem apparently with that monitor. I don't understand why, though
    others mentioned the dot-clock frequency requirement being beyond the
    capabilities of a G550.

    Cheers

    Tim

  8. Re: TFT monitor recommendation

    Tim S writes:

    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    >> ray writes:

    >>> An LCD can have an unattainable native resolution.

    >> A monitor is never incompatible with software. It is theoretically
    >> possible to build a monitor with so outlandish timing requirements
    >> that no video card will produce them, but to my knowledge this has
    >> never been done. With an old, cheap video card you might not be able
    >> to reach the highest resolution and refresh rates of an LCD requiring
    >> dual-link DVI. Nowadays dual-link DVI cards are not at all expensive.

    > I would have to beg to differ, Måns. I have a Samsung 205BW 1680x1050 TFT.
    > It is impossible to drive it at native res with a Matrox G550 card over
    > DVI, although VGA works. A replacement NVidia 6200A card however is fine.
    > Monitor is a single link DVI.
    >
    > Common problem apparently with that monitor. I don't understand why, though
    > others mentioned the dot-clock frequency requirement being beyond the
    > capabilities of a G550.

    I've seen a few older cards with a 1600 pixel horizontal limit on the
    DVI output, and the G550 is getting rather long in the tooth... As
    you said, a low-end nvidia is coping well.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  9. Re: TFT monitor recommendation

    Tim S writes:
    >I would have to beg to differ, Måns. I have a Samsung 205BW 1680x1050 TFT.
    >It is impossible to drive it at native res with a Matrox G550 card over
    >DVI, although VGA works.

    This reminds me of the G450 that would not do 1600x1200 over DVI-D.
    After a while I looked in the manual and saw that it claimed that the
    card only supported modes up to 1280x1024 over DVI-D. However, I
    managed to make it work eventually by crafting a mode that used as
    little bandwidth as a 1280x1024 mode (see
    ). Crafting a mode
    for 1680x1050 should be slightly easier.

    >A replacement NVidia 6200A card however is fine.

    That's the smarter way. We eventually used Radeon 7000 cards.
    Cheaper and better than the G450.

    - anton