Sun Ultra 10 as RAID5 server? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Sun Ultra 10 as RAID5 server? - Hardware ; Hi, I am looking to build a dedicated linux Fileserver for use in my home as a media server. I am eyeing in particular a RAID5 setup of 4 500GB disks (1.5TB effective). I have been investigating purchasing standard PC ...

  1. Sun Ultra 10 as RAID5 server?

    Hi,

    I am looking to build a dedicated linux Fileserver for use in my home
    as a media server. I am eyeing in particular a RAID5 setup of 4 500GB
    disks (1.5TB effective). I have been investigating purchasing standard
    PC components and a SATA RAID card, however my work might have surplus
    Sun Ultra 10 boxes available for free.

    So my question is whether anyone has any experience using PCI SATA
    Raid cards in Sun Ultra 10 machines? In particular I have been looking
    at the Highpoint RocketRaid 1640 PCI cards.

    Will this work? Is there driver support for PCI Raid cards on Sun
    hardware?

    Any advice/guidance is appreciated.

  2. Re: Sun Ultra 10 as RAID5 server?

    In article <1179232740.983740.148390@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking to build a dedicated linux Fileserver for use in my home
    >as a media server. I am eyeing in particular a RAID5 setup of 4 500GB
    >disks (1.5TB effective). I have been investigating purchasing standard
    >PC components and a SATA RAID card, however my work might have surplus
    >Sun Ultra 10 boxes available for free.
    >
    >So my question is whether anyone has any experience using PCI SATA
    >Raid cards in Sun Ultra 10 machines? In particular I have been looking
    >at the Highpoint RocketRaid 1640 PCI cards.
    >
    >Will this work? Is there driver support for PCI Raid cards on Sun
    >hardware?
    >
    >Any advice/guidance is appreciated.

    I'm not sure the Ultra 10 hardware is 100% compatible with
    modern PCI cards.

    I've been experimenting with various Promise SATA cards on
    my Ultra 5 (same mainboard as the Ultra 10), and I consistently
    get errors when using the newest SATAII cards and driving
    disks at 3Gbps. Those errors do not occur when I'm testing
    the same card/cable/disk combination in an x86 PC.

    I suspect PCI revision incompatibilities, non-standard
    PCI bus clocks, or driver issues with MMIO accesses on sparc64.

    However, it would be very interesting to hear how well a
    non-Promise card like the Highpoint one works on your Ultra 10.

    /Mikael
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@it.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

  3. Re: Sun Ultra 10 as RAID5 server?

    mikpe@harpo.csd.uu.se (Mikael Pettersson) writes:
    >I've been experimenting with various Promise SATA cards on
    >my Ultra 5 (same mainboard as the Ultra 10), and I consistently
    >get errors when using the newest SATAII cards and driving
    >disks at 3Gbps. Those errors do not occur when I'm testing
    >the same card/cable/disk combination in an x86 PC.
    >
    >I suspect PCI revision incompatibilities, non-standard
    >PCI bus clocks, or driver issues with MMIO accesses on sparc64.

    Wild guess: Could it be a firmware issue (assuming the PCI card has a
    firmware ROM): I.e., that the firmware on the card is 8086 (or at best
    80386) code for PCs, whereas the Sun expects it in Open Firmware
    format. The result would be that the firmware is not executed and
    does not initialize the card.

    - anton

  4. Re: Sun Ultra 10 as RAID5 server?

    In article <2007May15.163922@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>,
    Anton Ertl wrote:
    >mikpe@harpo.csd.uu.se (Mikael Pettersson) writes:
    >>I've been experimenting with various Promise SATA cards on
    >>my Ultra 5 (same mainboard as the Ultra 10), and I consistently
    >>get errors when using the newest SATAII cards and driving
    >>disks at 3Gbps. Those errors do not occur when I'm testing
    >>the same card/cable/disk combination in an x86 PC.
    >>
    >>I suspect PCI revision incompatibilities, non-standard
    >>PCI bus clocks, or driver issues with MMIO accesses on sparc64.

    >Wild guess: Could it be a firmware issue (assuming the PCI card has a
    >firmware ROM): I.e., that the firmware on the card is 8086 (or at best
    >80386) code for PCs, whereas the Sun expects it in Open Firmware
    >format. The result would be that the firmware is not executed and
    >does not initialize the card.

    While it could be missing firmware initialisation, we are
    compensating for that by doing a full initialisation in the
    sata_promise driver. I've actually been looking at boot-time
    differences in the card's state between the Ultra10 and an x86,
    and the remaining ones appear to be harmless.

    /Mikael
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@it.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

  5. Re: Sun Ultra 10 as RAID5 server?

    On May 15, 9:53 am, m...@harpo.csd.uu.se (Mikael Pettersson) wrote:
    > In article <1179232740.983740.148...@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.c om>,
    >

    > wrote:
    > >Hi,

    > >I am looking to build a dedicated linux Fileserver for use in my home
    > >as a media server. I am eyeing in particular a RAID5 setup of 4 500GB
    > >disks (1.5TB effective). I have been investigating purchasing standard
    > >PC components and a SATA RAID card, however my work might have surplus
    > >Sun Ultra 10 boxes available for free.

    > >So my question is whether anyone has any experience using PCI SATA
    > >Raid cards in Sun Ultra 10 machines? In particular I have been looking
    > >at the Highpoint RocketRaid 1640 PCI cards.

    > >Will this work? Is there driver support for PCI Raid cards on Sun
    > >hardware?

    > >Any advice/guidance is appreciated.

    > I'm not sure the Ultra 10 hardware is 100% compatible with
    > modern PCI cards.
    >
    > I've been experimenting with various Promise SATA cards on
    > my Ultra 5 (same mainboard as the Ultra 10), and I consistently
    > get errors when using the newest SATAII cards and driving
    > disks at 3Gbps. Those errors do not occur when I'm testing
    > the same card/cable/disk combination in an x86 PC.
    >
    > I suspect PCI revision incompatibilities, non-standard
    > PCI bus clocks, or driver issues with MMIO accesses on sparc64.
    >
    > However, it would be very interesting to hear how well a
    > non-Promise card like the Highpoint one works on your Ultra 10.
    >
    > /Mikael
    > --
    > Mikael Pettersson (m...@it.uu.se)
    > Computing Science Department, Uppsala University- Hide quoted text -

    Mikael,

    Are you aware of any cards that are known to work with the Ultra10
    motherboard? My only requirement is that the card support 4-500GB SATA
    drives.

  6. Re: Sun Ultra 10 as RAID5 server?

    In article <1179320234.511702.166960@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >Are you aware of any cards that are known to work with the Ultra10
    >motherboard? My only requirement is that the card support 4-500GB SATA
    >drives.

    No, I don't know of any that are known to work.
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@it.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

+ Reply to Thread