SATA2 pci vs onboard - Hardware

This is a discussion on SATA2 pci vs onboard - Hardware ; does anyone know if a pci sata2 controller has the same read/write performance as a motherboard that has onboard sata2? Flamer....

  1. SATA2 pci vs onboard

    does anyone know if a pci sata2 controller has the same read/write
    performance as a motherboard that has onboard sata2?

    Flamer.

  2. Re: SATA2 pci vs onboard

    As far as I am aware, yes. The on board controllers are connected to the PCI
    bus in the same way, so yes they will have the same performance.

    Best,
    --
    ASUS PC-DL Deluxe
    Intel Xeon @ 3.06GHz (dual)

  3. Re: SATA2 pci vs onboard

    Rohan Beckles writes:

    > As far as I am aware, yes. The on board controllers are connected to
    > the PCI bus in the same way, so yes they will have the same
    > performance.

    That's not quite true. If the controller is part of the chipset,
    chances are it is connected to the rest of the system using some other
    type of link (e.g. hypertransport) even if it appears to the OS as a
    PCI device.

    That said, the bottleneck is usually in the transfer of data to/from
    the disk platters, not the system-controller or controller-disk
    interfaces.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com