Spec CPU2006 numbers for Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Spec CPU2006 numbers for Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core? - Hardware ; Hi, I found that Athlons are conspicually absent from the SPEC CPU2006 official results at www.spec.org ... there's lots about Opterons, but absolutely nothing about the Athlon 64 X2, for instance. I'd like to compare it to, say, the latest ...

  1. Spec CPU2006 numbers for Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core?

    Hi,

    I found that Athlons are conspicually absent from the SPEC CPU2006
    official results
    at www.spec.org... there's lots about Opterons, but absolutely nothing
    about the Athlon 64 X2,
    for instance. I'd like to compare it to, say, the latest Core2-Duos.
    Anybody?

    Cheers,
    JL

  2. Re: Spec CPU2006 numbers for Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core?

    jlmarin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I found that Athlons are conspicually absent from the SPEC CPU2006
    > official results
    > at www.spec.org... there's lots about Opterons, but absolutely nothing
    > about the Athlon 64 X2,
    > for instance. I'd like to compare it to, say, the latest Core2-Duos.
    > Anybody?

    In general, you can compare with like clocked Opterons.

  3. Re: Spec CPU2006 numbers for Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core?

    On May 14, 1:27 am, Chris Cox wrote:
    > In general, you can compare with like clocked Opterons.

    Well, that maybe about right for the "1000 series" Opterons, which are
    the low-end among
    the second-gen Opterons (the 2000 and 8000 series have more HT links
    to RAM). But even in that case
    we would be missing something very important, which is the performance
    of the *combined system*
    (motherboard+CPU). Opteron motherboards are more server-oriented,
    and will definitely have
    better memory bandwidth. I'd like to see SPEC numbers of "home"
    systems, for instance
    Athlon 64 X2 6000+ against Core-2 Duo E6700.

    JL

  4. Re: Spec CPU2006 numbers for Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core?

    jlmarin wrote:
    > On May 14, 1:27 am, Chris Cox wrote:
    >> In general, you can compare with like clocked Opterons.

    > Well, that maybe about right for the "1000 series" Opterons, which are
    > the low-end among
    > the second-gen Opterons (the 2000 and 8000 series have more HT links
    > to RAM). But even in that case
    > we would be missing something very important, which is the performance
    > of the *combined system*
    > (motherboard+CPU). Opteron motherboards are more server-oriented,
    > and will definitely have
    > better memory bandwidth.

    Hmmmm... actually, it's often times the exact opposite. Servers
    rely heavily on registered ECC memory. May find that server
    memory benchmarks suffer because of that.

    > I'd like to see SPEC numbers of "home"
    > systems, for instance
    > Athlon 64 X2 6000+ against Core-2 Duo E6700.

    I think the problem is that nobody wants to pony-up to pay for
    a "home" set of benchmarks (just no money to be had as a
    result).

    > JL

  5. Re: Spec CPU2006 numbers for Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core?

    On 14 mei, 00:28, jlmarin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I found that Athlons are conspicually absent from the SPEC CPU2006
    > official results
    > atwww.spec.org... there's lots about Opterons, but absolutely nothing
    > about the Athlon 64 X2,
    > for instance. I'd like to compare it to, say, the latest Core2-Duos.
    > Anybody?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > JL

    For some reason, SPEC results are more frequent for Intel-based
    systems... It seems Intel is using the SPEC database as a way to
    promote themselves, while AMD doesn't... Try and find somebody who
    owns an Athlon 64 X2 system, and run SPEC CPU2006 on it yourself (if
    you own a registred copy that is), and then publish it into the
    databbase (so other people can benefit from it).

  6. Re: Spec CPU2006 numbers for Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core?

    In comp.arch kenneth.hoste@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 14 mei, 00:28, jlmarin wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I found that Athlons are conspicually absent from the SPEC CPU2006
    >> official results
    >> atwww.spec.org... there's lots about Opterons, but absolutely nothing
    >> about the Athlon 64 X2,
    >> for instance. I'd like to compare it to, say, the latest Core2-Duos.
    >> Anybody?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> JL

    > For some reason, SPEC results are more frequent for Intel-based
    > systems... It seems Intel is using the SPEC database as a way to
    > promote themselves, while AMD doesn't... Try and find somebody who
    > owns an Athlon 64 X2 system, and run SPEC CPU2006 on it yourself (if
    > you own a registred copy that is), and then publish it into the
    > databbase (so other people can benefit from it).

    Are there any open source SPEC benchmark programs that I can download,
    compile and run on my AMD system?

    Thanks.

    --
    Jerry Silverstein - The GOD of Jewish Lightning

+ Reply to Thread