Connecting USB devices to VMware Server? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Connecting USB devices to VMware Server? - Hardware ; I have W2K on VMWare Server running on FC6. I have a Seiko Label Printer that I would like to be able to use with the VM (there is no Linux support for this device). VMware claims to see it, ...

  1. Connecting USB devices to VMware Server?

    I have W2K on VMWare Server running on FC6. I have a Seiko Label Printer
    that I would like to be able to use with the VM (there is no Linux
    support for this device). VMware claims to see it, it's listed under the
    Removable devices menu, but the Label utility doesn't see it. Is there a
    trick to making USB devices work with VMware or is that Removable Devices
    Menu just a tease?

  2. Re: Connecting USB devices to VMware Server?

    On 05/12/2007 01:51 PM, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > I have W2K on VMWare Server running on FC6. I have a Seiko Label Printer
    > that I would like to be able to use with the VM (there is no Linux
    > support for this device). VMware claims to see it, it's listed under the
    > Removable devices menu, but the Label utility doesn't see it. Is there a
    > trick to making USB devices work with VMware or is that Removable Devices
    > Menu just a tease?

    Well, it's Windows' Job to find your device, if it has the correct drivers.

    The Remmovable Devices Menu, is more or less the representation of
    what's plugged into your virtual computer.

    plug in a USB-Stick and see if Windows sees it (and remove it by
    clicking on the stick in the Removable Devices Menu, note how Windows
    complains about it).

    IIRC, there's this System-Configuration in Windows, with that hardware
    manager. Check if your label-printer is listed there.

    cheers, polemon

    --
    -EOF-

  3. Re: Connecting USB devices to VMware Server?

    On 12 May 2007 11:51:40 GMT, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >I have W2K on VMWare Server running on FC6. I have a Seiko Label Printer
    >that I would like to be able to use with the VM (there is no Linux
    >support for this device). VMware claims to see it, it's listed under the
    >Removable devices menu, but the Label utility doesn't see it. Is there a
    >trick to making USB devices work with VMware or is that Removable Devices
    >Menu just a tease?

    No, but sometimes the windows guest OS gets confused especially if the
    device was ever connected before the driver was installed.

    Check the device manager and remove it then hit refresh. For the most
    part, VMWare works extremely well for USB devices.

+ Reply to Thread