mp3 syncronised with LCD for educational ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on mp3 syncronised with LCD for educational ? - Hardware ; With the low price of flash-mem and maturity of mp3, I'm surprised that 'talking books' are not commonly available - cheaply; where you would just change flash-cards. Syncronising the 'writing with the sound' would also be good for language learning ...

  1. mp3 syncronised with LCD for educational ?

    With the low price of flash-mem and maturity of mp3, I'm
    surprised that 'talking books' are not commonly available
    - cheaply; where you would just change flash-cards.

    Syncronising the 'writing with the sound' would also be
    good for language learning ?

    Perhaps even minimal cartoon-like graphics for stories
    for kiddies ?

    Who knows about the Blackfin CPU from Analog devices ?

    Thanks for any info,

    == Chris Glur.

  2. Re: mp3 syncronised with LCD for educational ?

    On May 11, 12:01 pm, n...@absamail.co.za wrote:
    > With the low price of flash-mem and maturity of mp3, I'm
    > surprised that 'talking books' are not commonly available
    > - cheaply; where you would just change flash-cards.

    They are sold. Barnes & Noble sells them. They are NOT cheap and they
    do NOT use removable media. They also don't use MP3 encoding, they use
    a proprietary CELP system. The only application where this has sold
    significant volumes is talking religious texts, but there is some
    mainstream content also.

    The difficulty of course is licensing the content. Not a lot of
    interest.

    > Syncronising the 'writing with the sound' would also be
    > good for language learning ?

    This is usually done by having a low-frequency control signal embedded
    in the audio stream. Same principle is used to synchronize mouth
    movement on speaking toys.

    > Who knows about the Blackfin CPU from Analog devices ?

    You likely wouldn't use it for this sort of application, you'd use an
    ASIC.

  3. Re: mp3 syncronised with LCD for educational ?

    (news@absamail.co.za) writes:
    > With the low price of flash-mem and maturity of mp3, I'm
    > surprised that 'talking books' are not commonly available
    > - cheaply; where you would just change flash-cards.
    >
    > Syncronising the 'writing with the sound' would also be
    > good for language learning ?
    >
    > Perhaps even minimal cartoon-like graphics for stories
    > for kiddies ?

    You just go back and do things the old way.

    MP3 players are stereo. So you have one track for the audio, and
    then the other track to control the slide projector. At the right
    moment, there's a beep in the control track, which then tells the
    slide projector to advance. If you're willing to add fancy circuitry,
    then there's more you can do, simply by using more complicated control
    scheme than just a beep. Multiple beeps or different tones, or modulate
    the tone, and then you have a audio decoder to handle it all.

    This is nothing new. It was done back in the days of slide projectors,
    with stereo tape decks.

    Michael

  4. Re: mp3 syncronised with LCD for educational ?

    On May 11, 1:08 pm, e...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:

    > MP3 players are stereo. So you have one track for the audio, and
    > then the other track to control the slide projector. At the right

    In practice, it isn't done this way. The last product I'm aware of
    that used an entire channel of a stereo recording for this purpose was
    Teddy Ruxpin.

    The control information is encoded as very low frequency audio, and
    the playback has a high-pass filter to remove control tones.

+ Reply to Thread