Safe to add partition on running system? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Safe to add partition on running system? - Hardware ; I have a system in which the priamry disk (from which / is mounted) has a large amount of unpartitoned space. Is it safe to partiton this space while the system is running, with / mounted rw?...

  1. Safe to add partition on running system?

    I have a system in which the priamry disk (from which / is mounted) has a
    large amount of unpartitoned space.

    Is it safe to partiton this space while the system is running, with /
    mounted rw?

  2. Re: Safe to add partition on running system?

    Whoever wrote:
    > I have a system in which the priamry disk (from which / is mounted) has
    > a large amount of unpartitoned space.
    >
    > Is it safe to partiton this space while the system is running, with /
    > mounted rw?

    No problem as long as you don't change your root slice, swap and boot slice
    (if that is it's own).

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Safe to add partition on running system?

    Whoever writes:

    > I have a system in which the priamry disk (from which / is mounted)
    > has a large amount of unpartitoned space.
    >
    > Is it safe to partiton this space while the system is running, with /
    > mounted rw?

    Yes, just don't touch your main root partition and it will be fine.
    You might have to reboot to see the new partitions; I can't recall if
    they are added dynamically once they are created.

    --
    kruhft

  4. Re: Safe to add partition on running system?

    Whoever wrote:
    > Is it safe to partiton this space while the system is running, with /
    > mounted rw?

    Yes, it is safe to add a new partition on unallocated space. However, when
    you exit from fdisk and save your changes fdisk will make an ioctl to tell
    the kernel to rearead the partition table. The kernel will fail to reread
    the partition table when you have partitions from that disk mounted.
    Therefore you will have to reboot before you mkfs your new partition.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  5. Re: Safe to add partition on running system?

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 20:29:30 -0700, Whoever wrote:

    > I have a system in which the priamry disk (from which / is mounted) has a
    > large amount of unpartitoned space.
    >
    > Is it safe to partiton this space while the system is running, with /
    > mounted rw?

    Gparted will gladly do that - of course, you can't modify mounted
    partitions.

  6. Re: Safe to add partition on running system?

    In comp.os.linux.hardware Henrik Carlqvist :
    > Whoever wrote:
    >> Is it safe to partiton this space while the system is running, with /
    >> mounted rw?

    > Yes, it is safe to add a new partition on unallocated space. However, when
    > you exit from fdisk and save your changes fdisk will make an ioctl to tell
    > the kernel to rearead the partition table. The kernel will fail to reread
    > the partition table when you have partitions from that disk mounted.
    > Therefore you will have to reboot before you mkfs your new partition.

    Alternatively just enter 'partprobe'.

    #bofh excuse 132: SCSI Chain overterminated

  7. Re: Safe to add partition on running system?

    kruhft@kruhft.com wrote:
    > Whoever writes:
    >
    >> I have a system in which the priamry disk (from which / is mounted)
    >> has a large amount of unpartitoned space.
    >>
    >> Is it safe to partiton this space while the system is running, with /
    >> mounted rw?

    > Yes, just don't touch your main root partition and it will be fine.
    > You might have to reboot to see the new partitions; I can't recall if
    > they are added dynamically once they are created.

    No reboot needed, the tools (fdisk, parted and so on) will sync the hard drive
    at save/exit, so you will be able to work with them as soon as you finished
    the slicing.

    --

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread