Logitech Quickcam - Hardware

This is a discussion on Logitech Quickcam - Hardware ; I am a linux Newbie, so treat me like an idiot if you know the answer to this : I recently installed Xandros Linux (I assume the latest version, since it came with "Linux user" magazine) on my home system. ...

  1. Logitech Quickcam

    I am a linux Newbie, so treat me like an idiot if you know the answer
    to this :

    I recently installed Xandros Linux (I assume the latest version, since
    it came with "Linux user" magazine) on my home system. So far I love
    it, but I am having a couple minor problems. The first revolves around
    getting my webcam to work with Linux - I have a "Logitech Quickcam
    Communicate STX" attached to my computer through USB. So far, nothing
    I do will make the installation even see it, much less work with it.
    Is there a simple way to force Linux to use it?

    The other problem is I also have a "Lewmark x1200" printer/scanner
    attached. This isn't that big of a problem, since i don't print or
    scan that much, but it would be nice to have it working. Is there a
    download that will make it work?

    I must say, that I am not seeing very many reasons to go back to
    Windows - Right now the system dual-boots, but (other than to grab my
    firefox favorites) I haven't needed to boot into Windows since
    installing Linux. With the addition of WINE, I get everything I need,
    plus my system runs a bit faster. These two problems are the only ones
    that have popped up...

    I should mention that (as far as Linux goes) I am somewhat confused on
    the installation of new apps. So if you have any ideas on how to get
    it to work, assume I am a user that needs hand holding to install it
    on the system... (In windows, I can do anything - I'm not an idiot,
    just not experienced in Linux).

  2. Re: Logitech Quickcam

    On May 8, 9:58 am, furby wrote:
    > I am a linux Newbie, so treat me like an idiot if you know the answer
    > to this :
    >
    > I recently installed Xandros Linux (I assume the latest version, since
    > it came with "Linux user" magazine) on my home system. So far I love
    > it, but I am having a couple minor problems. The first revolves around
    > getting my webcam to work with Linux - I have a "Logitech Quickcam
    > Communicate STX" attached to my computer through USB. So far, nothing
    > I do will make the installation even see it, much less work with it.
    > Is there a simple way to force Linux to use it?
    >
    > The other problem is I also have a "Lewmark x1200" printer/scanner
    > attached. This isn't that big of a problem, since i don't print or
    > scan that much, but it would be nice to have it working. Is there a
    > download that will make it work?
    >
    > I must say, that I am not seeing very many reasons to go back to
    > Windows - Right now the system dual-boots, but (other than to grab my
    > firefox favorites) I haven't needed to boot into Windows since
    > installing Linux. With the addition of WINE, I get everything I need,
    > plus my system runs a bit faster. These two problems are the only ones
    > that have popped up...
    >
    > I should mention that (as far as Linux goes) I am somewhat confused on
    > the installation of new apps. So if you have any ideas on how to get
    > it to work, assume I am a user that needs hand holding to install it
    > on the system... (In windows, I can do anything - I'm not an idiot,
    > just not experienced in Linux).

    I have only been using Linux myself for a few months, but I'll do the
    best I can to help. I'm running openSUSE 10.2 but have also tried
    Ubuntu. Even though the distributions are a little different, they all
    seem to use the same functionality when it comes to configuring
    hardware and installing software. In openSUSE there is a graphical
    program called YaST (probably something similar in Xandros) that you
    enter to configure your hardware and install or delete software
    applications.

    During installation openSUSE automatically recognized my printer but I
    had to go into YaST and configure it before it would work. There is a
    web site:

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

    where you can enter your make and model of printer to determine if
    it's compatible with Linux. I even had to restart Linux before my
    printer would print anything.

    I also have a Logitech camera but don't use it in Linux. My distro
    didn't recognize the camera either. You might have to configure it
    manually.

    As far as software installation goes, you may have to go into an
    Installation Source option and add Software Repositories. This allows
    you to get updates of the software already installed on your computer
    as well as some software packages that may not be included with your
    distribution. The Xandros web site should tell you what these URLs are
    and how to enter them so your distribution can access these
    repositories.

    I was using openSUSE prior to trying Ubuntu. I liked Ubuntu's ease of
    use for someone not familiar with Linux, but they distribute Ubuntu
    with GNOME by default. I prefer KDE. Their KDE version is called
    Kubuntu. You have to obtain it separately. The openSUSE distro discs
    came with both KDE and GNOME, so I went back to openSUSE.

    I hope this helps. If it's clear as mud then perhaps someone else who
    uses Xandros can shed more light on the subject.

  3. Re: Logitech Quickcam

    Jeff wrote:

    > I was using openSUSE prior to trying Ubuntu. I liked Ubuntu's ease of
    > use for someone not familiar with Linux, but they distribute Ubuntu
    > with GNOME by default. I prefer KDE. Their KDE version is called
    > Kubuntu. You have to obtain it separately.

    Not true, young apprentice. You _can_ install Kubuntu from an Ubuntu
    installation. And have both, KDE and Gnome. Just install the
    kubuntu-desktop package.

    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be glad
    of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;

  4. Re: Logitech Quickcam

    On May 8, 10:58 am, furby wrote:
    > I have a "Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX"
    >
    > I should mention that (as far as Linux goes) I am somewhat confused on
    > the installation of new apps. So if you have any ideas on how to get
    > it to work, assume I am a user that needs hand holding to install it
    > on the system... (In windows, I can do anything - I'm not an idiot,
    > just not experienced in Linux).

    I did some research on the webcam and this is what I found with the
    appropriate web addresses:

    This web site shows some compatible Logitech webcams: http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/

    It appears your webcam isn't compatible with Linux:
    http://osdir.com/ml/linux.drivers.sp.../msg00001.html

    The Xandros package manager (YaST in openSUSE) information can be
    found on Wikipedia and this site may help as well:
    http://lists.clickers.org/linuxsig/e..._programs.html

    Hope this helps

  5. Re: Logitech Quickcam

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 23:07:20 -0700, Jeff wrote:

    > It appears your webcam isn't compatible with Linux:
    > http://osdir.com/ml/linux.drivers.sp.../msg00001.html

    Wrong. This is some old stuff from 2005. The newer versions of the
    spca5xx driver support it just fine.

    --
    Vladimir

  6. Re: Logitech Quickcam

    In comp.os.linux.hardware furby :
    > I am a linux Newbie, so treat me like an idiot if you know the answer
    > to this :

    > I recently installed Xandros Linux (I assume the latest version, since
    > it came with "Linux user" magazine) on my home system. So far I love
    > it, but I am having a couple minor problems. The first revolves around
    > getting my webcam to work with Linux - I have a "Logitech Quickcam
    > Communicate STX" attached to my computer through USB. So far, nothing
    > I do will make the installation even see it, much less work with it.
    > Is there a simple way to force Linux to use it?

    Show us the output from some xterm of the following commands,
    with the cam attached:

    /sbin/lsusb
    uname -r

    [..]

    #bofh excuse 88: Boss' kid ****ed up the machine

  7. Re: Logitech Quickcam

    "Vladimir Florinski" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.05.09.06.26.21@ucr.edu...
    > On Tue, 08 May 2007 23:07:20 -0700, Jeff wrote:
    >

    >> It appears your webcam isn't compatible with Linux:
    >> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.drivers.sp.../msg00001.html
    >>

    > Wrong. This is some old stuff from 2005. The newer versions of the
    > spca5xx driver support it just fine.

    Correction... HALF of it.

    There IS a microphone built into it.

  8. Re: Logitech Quickcam

    On May 9, 9:33 am, Michael Heiming
    wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.hardware furby :
    >
    > > I am a linux Newbie, so treat me like an idiot if you know the answer
    > > to this :
    > > I recently installed Xandros Linux (I assume the latest version, since
    > > it came with "Linux user" magazine) on my home system. So far I love
    > > it, but I am having a couple minor problems. The first revolves around
    > > getting my webcam to work with Linux - I have a "Logitech Quickcam
    > > Communicate STX" attached to my computer through USB. So far, nothing
    > > I do will make the installation even see it, much less work with it.
    > > Is there a simple way to force Linux to use it?

    > Show us the output from some xterm of the following commands,
    > with the cam attached:
    >
    > /sbin/lsusb
    > uname -r
    >
    > [..]
    >
    > --
    > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > mail: echo zvpu...@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > #bofh excuse 88: Boss' kid ****ed up the machine

    I don't have a Isusb directory in my sbin.... but the uname command
    produces this output :
    2.6.18-dcc-smp

  9. Re: Logitech Quickcam

    On May 9, 6:41 pm, furby wrote:
    > On May 9, 9:33 am, Michael Heiming
    > wrote:
    >

    > > In comp.os.linux.hardware furby :

    > > > I am a linux Newbie, so treat me like an idiot if you know the answer
    > > > to this :
    > > > I recently installed Xandros Linux (I assume the latest version, since
    > > > it came with "Linux user" magazine) on my home system. So far I love
    > > > it, but I am having a couple minor problems. The first revolves around
    > > > getting my webcam to work with Linux - I have a "Logitech Quickcam
    > > > Communicate STX" attached to my computer through USB. So far, nothing
    > > > I do will make the installation even see it, much less work with it.
    > > > Is there a simple way to force Linux to use it?

    > > Show us the output from some xterm of the following commands,
    > > with the cam attached:

    > > /sbin/lsusb
    > > uname -r

    > > [..]

    > > --
    > > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > > mail: echo zvpu...@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > > #bofh excuse 88: Boss' kid ****ed up the machine

    > I don't have a Isusb directory in my sbin.... but the uname command
    > produces this output :
    > 2.6.18-dcc-smp

    I actually just got it working! The microphone doesn't work (That's
    okay - I can use an older webcam with the laptop and the microphone'd
    one on my Windows Desktop). Apparently I needed something called
    "Jasper"...

  10. Re: Logitech Quickcam

    In comp.os.linux.hardware furby :
    > On May 9, 6:41 pm, furby wrote:
    >> On May 9, 9:33 am, Michael Heiming
    >> > In comp.os.linux.hardware furby :

    [ getting Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX to work in Xandros ]

    >> > /sbin/lsusb
    >> > uname -r

    >> > [..]

    >> > --
    >> > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    >> > mail: echo zvpu...@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    >> > #bofh excuse 88: Boss' kid ****ed up the machine

    >> I don't have a Isusb directory in my sbin.... but the uname command

    Any other location would be fine.

    >> produces this output :
    >> 2.6.18-dcc-smp

    Good!

    > I actually just got it working! The microphone doesn't work (That's
    > okay - I can use an older webcam with the laptop and the microphone'd
    > one on my Windows Desktop). Apparently I needed something called
    > "Jasper"...

    Glad you solved the problem, as for the microphone, one would
    need the 'lsusb' output to see if it can be made working.

    #bofh excuse 462: A message from the system administrator:
    'I've upped my priority. Now up yours.'

  11. Re: Logitech Quickcam

    furby wrote:
    > On May 9, 9:33 am, Michael Heiming
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> /sbin/lsusb

    [snip]
    > I don't have a Isusb directory in my sbin.

    It's 'lsusb' (lowercase 'L', not upper case 'i'), and it is a command
    (not a directory). Try just 'lsusb' from the command prompt (without
    the quotes, of course).

+ Reply to Thread