Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox - Hardware

This is a discussion on Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox - Hardware ; This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work fine but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a wishlist don't. This ...

  1. Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I
    can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work fine
    but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a wishlist
    don't. This is strictly a Firefox issue, Konqueror works fine, but it's
    not my browser of choice, I only use it to make Newegg purchases.
    Cookies, java and Javascript are all enabled. Does anyone else have this
    problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but they haven't been
    able to give me any useful suggestions.

  2. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    General Schvantzkoph wrote in
    newsan.2007.05.08.14.41.24@yahoo.com:

    > This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I
    > can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work fine
    > but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a wishlist
    > don't. This is strictly a Firefox issue, Konqueror works fine, but it's
    > not my browser of choice, I only use it to make Newegg purchases.
    > Cookies, java and Javascript are all enabled. Does anyone else have this
    > problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but they haven't been
    > able to give me any useful suggestions.

    I noticed a similar problem a few days ago with Firefox on a 64 bit RH
    Enterprise 5 Client. We had similar issues with Vista with Newegg and a
    couple of other vendors, but they seemed to have fixed themselves (cough,
    cough).

    Since you have java installed, I assume you are on the 32 bit Firefox.
    True?

    I just though it was a 64-bit Firefox on linux issue but if your browser is
    32 bit then it must be a architecturally independent Firefox on linux
    issue.

    regards,

    mungo

    ------
    The backhoe is the natural predator of the fiber optic cable

  3. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:48:38 +0000, Mungo wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote in
    > newsan.2007.05.08.14.41.24@yahoo.com:
    >
    >> This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I
    >> can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work fine
    >> but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a wishlist
    >> don't. This is strictly a Firefox issue, Konqueror works fine, but it's
    >> not my browser of choice, I only use it to make Newegg purchases.
    >> Cookies, java and Javascript are all enabled. Does anyone else have
    >> this problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but they haven't
    >> been able to give me any useful suggestions.
    >>

    > I noticed a similar problem a few days ago with Firefox on a 64 bit RH
    > Enterprise 5 Client. We had similar issues with Vista with Newegg and a
    > couple of other vendors, but they seemed to have fixed themselves
    > (cough, cough).
    >
    > Since you have java installed, I assume you are on the 32 bit Firefox.
    > True?
    >
    > I just though it was a 64-bit Firefox on linux issue but if your browser
    > is 32 bit then it must be a architecturally independent Firefox on linux
    > issue.
    >

    > regards,
    >
    > mungo
    >
    > ------
    > The backhoe is the natural predator of the fiber optic cable

    My workstation is running 32 bit FC6. My JAVA is JRE 5.0.10.

  4. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I
    > can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work fine
    > but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a wishlist
    > don't. This is strictly a Firefox issue, Konqueror works fine, but it's
    > not my browser of choice, I only use it to make Newegg purchases.
    > Cookies, java and Javascript are all enabled. Does anyone else have this
    > problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but they haven't been
    > able to give me any useful suggestions.

    Irritating isn't it? I ran into that problem with NewEgg last week and
    fell back to Konqueror.

    A month or two ago, I ran into some Firefox-specific problems trying to
    refill a prescription through Wal-Mart's pharmacy. I posted a message
    about it to customer support and they actually called me back several
    times to get clarification and see if they could fix it. I was actually
    kind of impressed, though the problem persists.

    I don't know. Just thought I'd mention it.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Teach children to be polite and courteous in the home, and, when they
    grow up,
    they won't be able to edge a car onto a freeway.

  5. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:41:24 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I
    > can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work fine
    > but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a wishlist
    > don't. This is strictly a Firefox issue, Konqueror works fine, but it's
    > not my browser of choice, I only use it to make Newegg purchases.
    > Cookies, java and Javascript are all enabled. Does anyone else have this
    > problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but they haven't been
    > able to give me any useful suggestions.

    I got the answer from Newegg. In about:config

    set network.http.sendRefererHeader to 1.

  6. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I
    > can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work fine
    > but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a wishlist
    > don't. This is strictly a Firefox issue, Konqueror works fine, but it's
    > not my browser of choice, I only use it to make Newegg purchases.
    > Cookies, java and Javascript are all enabled. Does anyone else have this
    > problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but they haven't been
    > able to give me any useful suggestions.

    I did everything short of submitting the final order Ok (don't need anything today).

    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3
    on FC6
    Linux localhost 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 #1 SMP Mon Oct 16 14:54:20 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

  7. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    On 2007-05-08, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I
    > can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work fine
    > but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a wishlist
    > don't. This is strictly a Firefox issue, Konqueror works fine, but it's
    > not my browser of choice, I only use it to make Newegg purchases.
    > Cookies, java and Javascript are all enabled. Does anyone else have this
    > problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but they haven't been
    > able to give me any useful suggestions.

    I have not had a problem with my few Newegg purchases, and I use Firefox
    native in OS X, in X11 on OS X, and on Slackintosh Linux on ppc. As you
    might imagine, I do not have any JRE for the last two Firefox installs.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  8. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:41:24 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >

    >>This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I
    >>can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work fine
    >>but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a wishlist
    >>don't. This is strictly a Firefox issue, Konqueror works fine, but it's
    >>not my browser of choice, I only use it to make Newegg purchases.
    >>Cookies, java and Javascript are all enabled. Does anyone else have this
    >>problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but they haven't been
    >>able to give me any useful suggestions.

    > I got the answer from Newegg. In about:config
    >
    > set network.http.sendRefererHeader to 1.

    Do you think this is a common website problem?
    With one of my credit card web logins the first attempt to log
    on ALWAYS fails, then the 2nd attempt works. It's sort of like something has
    to be cleared out by the first try for the 2nd to work

    Mark

  9. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 17:46:16 -0400, Mark wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:41:24 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>

    >>>This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I
    >>>can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work fine
    >>>but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a wishlist
    >>>don't. This is strictly a Firefox issue, Konqueror works fine, but it's
    >>>not my browser of choice, I only use it to make Newegg purchases.
    >>>Cookies, java and Javascript are all enabled. Does anyone else have
    >>>this problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but they haven't
    >>>been able to give me any useful suggestions.

    >> I got the answer from Newegg. In about:config
    >>
    >> set network.http.sendRefererHeader to 1.

    > Do you think this is a common website problem? With one of my credit
    > card web logins the first attempt to log on ALWAYS fails, then the 2nd
    > attempt works. It's sort of like something has to be cleared out by the
    > first try for the 2nd to work
    >
    > Mark

    I've experienced this on one of my credit card sites, the login on the
    first page fails, it forwards me to a second page where the same name and
    password work. I have no idea if that's related to the Newegg problem.
    Now that I've made the change I'll see if I have fewer problems.

  10. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    General Schvantzkoph writes:

    > problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but they haven't been
    > able to give me any useful suggestions.

    Here's a useful suggestion: I have no problems finding quality hardware from
    vendors whose websites work perfectly fine. I suggest that you do the same.

  11. OT: Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:48:38 +0000, Mungo wrote:

    > ... a architecturally independent Firefox on linux issue.

    Now that IS a fantastic description. Can I quote it?

    best

    paul_s

  12. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:41:24 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >
    >> This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I
    >> can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work fine
    >> but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a wishlist
    >> don't. This is strictly a Firefox issue, Konqueror works fine, but it's
    >> not my browser of choice, I only use it to make Newegg purchases.
    >> Cookies, java and Javascript are all enabled. Does anyone else have this
    >> problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but they haven't been
    >> able to give me any useful suggestions.

    > I got the answer from Newegg. In about:config
    >
    > set network.http.sendRefererHeader to 1.

    What distro and what Firefox version? A couple months ago I ordered
    from Newegg without a problem, using Suse 10.1 and 1.5.0.9.

  13. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:01:01 +0000, Matt wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:41:24 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>
    >>> This isn't a Linux hardware problem it's a Firefox on Linux problem. I
    >>> can't make a purchase on Newegg using Firefox. Regular logins work
    >>> fine but logins for the purpose of making a purchase or saving a
    >>> wishlist don't. This is strictly a Firefox issue, Konqueror works
    >>> fine, but it's not my browser of choice, I only use it to make Newegg
    >>> purchases. Cookies, java and Javascript are all enabled. Does anyone
    >>> else have this problem? P.S. I've contacted Newegg in the past but
    >>> they haven't been able to give me any useful suggestions.

    >> I got the answer from Newegg. In about:config
    >>
    >> set network.http.sendRefererHeader to 1.

    > What distro and what Firefox version? A couple months ago I ordered
    > from Newegg without a problem, using Suse 10.1 and 1.5.0.9.

    It's FC6 with Firefox 1.5.0.10. If you see another of my posts in this
    thread the problem turned out to be the network.http.sendRefererHeader
    variable.

  14. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:01:01 +0000, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>> I got the answer from Newegg. In about:config
    >>>
    >>> set network.http.sendRefererHeader to 1.

    >> What distro and what Firefox version? A couple months ago I ordered
    >> from Newegg without a problem, using Suse 10.1 and 1.5.0.9.

    > It's FC6 with Firefox 1.5.0.10. If you see another of my posts in this
    > thread the problem turned out to be the network.http.sendRefererHeader
    > variable.

    Oh yeah, I think I saw that post somewhere (see above). :-)

    I was just thinking that that config setting might be peculiar to the
    distro you're using.

  15. Re: Problems with Newegg purchases using Firefox

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 03:32:52 +0000, Matt wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>> What distro and what Firefox version? A couple months ago I ordered
    >>> from Newegg without a problem, using Suse 10.1 and 1.5.0.9.

    >> It's FC6 with Firefox 1.5.0.10. If you see another of my posts in this
    >> thread the problem turned out to be the network.http.sendRefererHeader
    >> variable.

    > Oh yeah, I think I saw that post somewhere (see above). :-)
    >
    > I was just thinking that that config setting might be peculiar to the
    > distro you're using.

    It's hard to imagine that FC, or any distro, would be using anything
    other than the Firefox defaults. There are hundreds of variables, all
    cryptic. You would have to know something about them to change them, who
    besides the Firefox developers knows what the variables are for?

+ Reply to Thread