Pendrive, device name and ... a problem - Hardware

This is a discussion on Pendrive, device name and ... a problem - Hardware ; Hi, I have a problem using several pendrive's on one system. The first of them was mounted as /dev/sdb1. After unmounting the next one could not be mounted as /dev/sdb1 (message "sdb1 is not a valid block device") but war ...

  1. Pendrive, device name and ... a problem

    Hi,

    I have a problem using several pendrive's on one system. The first of
    them was mounted as /dev/sdb1. After unmounting the next one could not
    be mounted as /dev/sdb1 (message "sdb1 is not a valid block device") but
    war recognized as /dev/sdc1. The next one as /dev/sdd1 etc. What's going
    on? Why are all the pendrives not recognized as the same device i.e.
    /dev/sdb1?

    RedHat Enterprise, 2.4.21.

    Thanks,

    Piotr

  2. Re: Pendrive, device name and ... a problem

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 08:48:47 +0200, Piotr wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem using several pendrive's on one system. The first of
    > them was mounted as /dev/sdb1. After unmounting the next one could not
    > be mounted as /dev/sdb1 (message "sdb1 is not a valid block device") but
    > war recognized as /dev/sdc1. The next one as /dev/sdd1 etc. What's going
    > on? Why are all the pendrives not recognized as the same device i.e.
    > /dev/sdb1?

    Well, they aren't the same device, are they? I'm not familiar with Red
    Hat, but I'm guessing you need to have a look at udev.

    http://www.redhat.com/magazine/002dec04/features/udev/

  3. Re: Pendrive, device name and ... a problem

    thunder wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 May 2007 08:48:47 +0200, Piotr wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a problem using several pendrive's on one system. The first of
    >> them was mounted as /dev/sdb1. After unmounting the next one could not
    >> be mounted as /dev/sdb1 (message "sdb1 is not a valid block device") but
    >> war recognized as /dev/sdc1. The next one as /dev/sdd1 etc. What's going
    >> on? Why are all the pendrives not recognized as the same device i.e.
    >> /dev/sdb1?

    > Well, they aren't the same device, are they? I'm not familiar with Red
    > Hat, but I'm guessing you need to have a look at udev.
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/magazine/002dec04/features/udev/

    I do not use udev.
    I discovered that after umounting a pendrive it is not removed from
    /proc/partitions. Moreover after "ps -el" I get

    1 S 0 3242 1 0 75 0 - 0 down_i ? 00:00:00
    usb-storage-0
    1 S 0 3243 1 0 81 0 - 0 down_i ? 00:00:00
    scsi_eh_5
    1 S 0 3967 1 0 75 0 - 0 down_i ? 00:00:00
    usb-storage-1
    1 S 0 3968 1 0 75 0 - 0 down_i ? 00:00:00
    scsi_eh_6

    This is the situation after mounting and unmounting 2 consecutive
    pendrives. These 4 processes I am not able to kill even as a root.
    What's going on? Why can't I kill a process being root?

    Piotr

+ Reply to Thread