sensors (I2C) names - Hardware

This is a discussion on sensors (I2C) names - Hardware ; Hi. I've got an Asus M2N-E SLi motherboard and I put lm_sensors on it. gkrellm could already get the sensor data (I don't know how), but there was no way I knew of to get at it via command line. ...

  1. sensors (I2C) names

    Hi. I've got an Asus M2N-E SLi motherboard and I put lm_sensors on it.
    gkrellm could already get the sensor data (I don't know how), but there
    was no way I knew of to get at it via command line.

    Anyhow the output from "sensors" looks like this:

    it8716-isa-0290
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    in0: +1.26 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
    in1: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
    in2: +3.36 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
    in3: +2.91 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
    in4: +3.01 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
    in5: +3.02 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
    in6: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
    in7: +2.88 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
    in8: +3.06 V
    fan1: 1303 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
    fan2: 2481 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
    fan3: 2755 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
    temp1: +27 C (low = -1 C, high = +127 C) sensor = diode
    temp2: +35 C (low = -1 C, high = +127 C) sensor = thermistor
    temp3: +25 C (low = -1 C, high = +127 C) sensor = thermistor
    vid: +1.525 V

    I've run "sensors -s" as root, and /etc/sensors.conf has an entry
    starting with

    chip "it87-*" "it8712-*"

    which has lines like

    label in0 "VCore 1"
    label in1 "VCore 2"

    So then what can I do to get non-generic names?

    Drive nail here > < for new monitor.

  2. Re: sensors (I2C) names

    Hactar wrote:
    > Hi. I've got an Asus M2N-E SLi motherboard and I put lm_sensors on it.
    > gkrellm could already get the sensor data (I don't know how), but there
    > was no way I knew of to get at it via command line.
    >
    > Anyhow the output from "sensors" looks like this:
    >
    > it8716-isa-0290

    > chip "it87-*" "it8712-*"
    >
    > which has lines like
    >
    > label in0 "VCore 1"
    > label in1 "VCore 2"
    >
    > So then what can I do to get non-generic names?

    The 'chip "it87-*" "it8712-*"' is not relevant for your it8716-*. Do you
    have a line

    chip "it8716-*"

    ? If not, perhaps you should upgrade to a newer lm-sensors package, or
    put that line and the following values into your sensors.conf:

    label in0 "VCore"
    label in1 "VDDR"
    label in2 "+3.3V" # VCC3
    label in3 "+5V" # VCC
    label in4 "+12V"
    # label in5 "-12V"
    # label in6 "-5V"
    label in7 "5VSB" # VCCH
    label in8 "VBat"

    compute in3 ((6.8/10)+1)*@ , @/((6.8/10)+1)
    compute in4 ((30/10)+1)*@ , @/((30/10)+1)
    # compute in5 (1+232/56)*@ - 4.096*232/56 , (@ + 4.096*232/56)/(1+232/56)
    # compute in6 (1+120/56)*@ - 4.096*120/56 , (@ + 4.096*120/56)/(1+120/56)
    compute in7 ((6.8/10)+1)*@ , @/((6.8/10)+1)

    Regards...
    Michael

  3. Re: sensors (I2C) names

    In article ,
    Michael Mauch wrote:
    > Hactar wrote:
    > > Hi. I've got an Asus M2N-E SLi motherboard and I put lm_sensors on it.
    > > gkrellm could already get the sensor data (I don't know how), but there
    > > was no way I knew of to get at it via command line.
    > >
    > > Anyhow the output from "sensors" looks like this:
    > >
    > > it8716-isa-0290

    > > chip "it87-*" "it8712-*"
    > >
    > > which has lines like
    > >
    > > label in0 "VCore 1"
    > > label in1 "VCore 2"
    > >
    > > So then what can I do to get non-generic names?

    > The 'chip "it87-*" "it8712-*"' is not relevant for your it8716-*.

    *smacks head*

    I knew that...

    > Do you have a line
    >
    > chip "it8716-*"

    Thank you, that was the clue I needed. Found the source, grabbed
    etc/sensors.conf.eg and stuck that section in /etc/sensors.conf. I must
    have been overzealous when trimming /etc/sensors.conf earlier, probably
    before I did "sensors -s" when it would have shown generic names no
    matter what.

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein

  4. Re: sensors (I2C) names

    On Sun, 06 May 2007 17:08:00 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Michael Mauch wrote:

    >> chip "it8716-*"

    I have the same MB. One thing that puzzles me is that I get

    temp3: -9.00 (temp3). Is this because 3 temps are not supported, or is
    there a malfunction or misconfiguration? And fan2 is zero, but as I don't
    know which fan this is supposed (in a case with 3 fans) to be I can't say
    for sure whether it's connected. Any suggestion which one this is? Fan1
    is presumably the cpu, and fan3 I think is the PSU.

    - Richard
    --
    http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

  5. Re: sensors (I2C) names

    In article <5rv1h4-9jr.ln1@infinity.localnet>,
    Richard Kimber wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 May 2007 17:08:00 +0000, Hactar wrote:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > Michael Mauch wrote:

    > >> chip "it8716-*"

    > I have the same MB. One thing that puzzles me is that I get
    >
    > temp3: -9.00 (temp3). Is this because 3 temps are not supported, or is
    > there a malfunction or misconfiguration? And fan2 is zero, but as I don't
    > know which fan this is supposed (in a case with 3 fans) to be I can't say
    > for sure whether it's connected. Any suggestion which one this is? Fan1
    > is presumably the cpu, and fan3 I think is the PSU.

    This MB is actually the "SLi" variant. There are three 3-pin fan
    headers on the MB. They're labeled "CPU_FAN", PWR_FAN and CHA_FAN.
    Technically you could hook them up to whatever fans you wanted though.
    In the past I've changed which fan goes to a given sensor because the
    sensor in one fan was intermittently bad.

    I have a variable-speed gizmo on the CPU fan, so I can confirm that it's
    fan1 (the corner header on the MB). The others I've connected to two of
    my case fans, but I'm not sure which two. I guess I'll have to unplug
    them and see what goes to 0 RPM.

    Temps I have this:

    CPU Temp: +27 C (low = +20 C, high = +50 C) sensor = diode
    temp2: +36 C (low = -1 C, high = +127 C) sensor = thermistor
    temp3: +25 C (low = -1 C, high = +127 C) sensor = thermistor

    I've figured that temp1 is CPU, because that one goes up when I compile
    the kernel. The other two, got me. Why do you only have two? Maybe
    the SLi varsiant has an extra sensor? I'm using this:

    sensors version 2.10.3 with libsensors version 2.10.3

    Also, gkrellm shows 5 ("THRM", the three above, and "nVidia GPU core").
    That last one drops when I crank up the CPU fan. I'm guessing better
    circulation in the case. Any way to get at those from CLI?

    My temperature calculation is this (stock):

    Hm, they're not calculated. Maybe the sensor returns the correct value?
    You can put a line "ignore temp3" in there if you're pretty sure it's
    bogus.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    "It can be shown that for any nutty theory, beyond-the-fringe political

  6. Re: sensors (I2C) names

    In article <99b2h4-gd.ln1@royalty.no-ip.org>,
    Hactar wrote:

    > I have a variable-speed gizmo on the CPU fan, so I can confirm that it's
    > fan1 (the corner header on the MB). The others I've connected to two of
    > my case fans, but I'm not sure which two. I guess I'll have to unplug
    > them and see what goes to 0 RPM.

    OK, CPU_FAN is fan1 (I knew that), CHA_FAN is fan2, and PWR_FAN is fan3.

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  7. Re: sensors (I2C) names

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 22:57:03 +0200, Michael Mauch wrote:

    > Try changing the fan divisor for fan3. See the file "fan-divisors" in the
    > lm_sensors docs (e.g. /usr/share/doc/lm_sensors/fan-divisors).
    >
    > Basically write a higher value to /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan3_div,
    > e.g.
    >
    > echo 4 >/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan3_div
    >
    > or
    >
    > echo 8 >/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan3_div

    I tried changing it in /etc/sensors.conf and restarting lm-sensors but
    that didn't make any difference.

    echo 8 >/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan3_div
    gives "Permission denied", even when I'm root.

    Maybe it's time to take the case off again and check the wires.

    - Richard
    --
    http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

  8. Re: sensors (I2C) names

    Hactar wrote:

    > Also, gkrellm shows 5 ("THRM", the three above, and "nVidia GPU core").
    > That last one drops when I crank up the CPU fan. I'm guessing better
    > circulation in the case. Any way to get at those from CLI?

    THRM I found in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature .

    A method for accessing the nVidia core temp was described by MaegRil in
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-109807.html as

    nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp

    or to grab just the number,

    nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp | grep -e Attribute | awk '{print $4}' | tr -d '[unct:],[:blank:]'

    He says that's basically what gkrellm does, so accessing it probably won't
    get much simpler than that. You could reduce it to one nasty command
    (your choice which one; I'd use "sed"), but odds are it wouldn't be any
    shorter.

    PISCES: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola
    virus. You are the Lord of the Dance, no matter what those
    idiots at work say. -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

+ Reply to Thread