Debian Etch Not detecting sound card... - Hardware

This is a discussion on Debian Etch Not detecting sound card... - Hardware ; ....I have a OnBoard soundcard as part of my Asus M2N-MX mobo and it seems that it cant find the card? Before I bought the system the HCL's that I had been reading said that the Asus M2N seres was ...

  1. Debian Etch Not detecting sound card...

    ....I have a OnBoard soundcard as part of my Asus M2N-MX mobo and it
    seems that it cant find the card?

    Before I bought the system the HCL's that I had been reading said that
    the Asus M2N seres was ok, so that why I got it to go with my AMD64.

    Its there in the bio (only choices are off and auto), the alsa and oss
    stuff is installed, all the gstreamer stuff is installed, the mute is
    not on - I have done all the software stuff and all I have left now from
    what I can tell is:

    * Download the next kernal (but this only usually solves the problem if
    it is an ALSA one, and I think this is a HARDWARE one.
    * Get myself a soundcard and disable the onboard (need to find the right
    card there too!!!)
    * Not use sound at all (not really an option, Im joking!)

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Cheers, RichardJW

  2. Re: Debian Etch Not detecting sound card...

    Richard J W writes:
    >...I have a OnBoard soundcard as part of my Asus M2N-MX mobo and it
    >seems that it cant find the card?

    > the mute is
    >not on

    So you have it in the mixer? Then the ALSA driver could find the
    sound card.

    The usual problem is that it's one of the other settings in the mixer
    that's turned off. You need to turn on several in order to get
    anything out, and some of the necessary settings are not obvious.
    Just try turning on every setting there is. And use the right mixer
    program (an OSS mixer program does not cover all the necessary
    settings, at least for my sound card).

    - anton

  3. Re: Debian Etch Not detecting sound card...

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > Richard J W writes:
    >> ...I have a OnBoard soundcard as part of my Asus M2N-MX mobo and it
    >> seems that it cant find the card?

    >> the mute is
    >> not on

    > So you have it in the mixer? Then the ALSA driver could find the
    > sound card.
    >
    > The usual problem is that it's one of the other settings in the mixer
    > that's turned off. You need to turn on several in order to get
    > anything out, and some of the necessary settings are not obvious.
    > Just try turning on every setting there is. And use the right mixer
    > program (an OSS mixer program does not cover all the necessary
    > settings, at least for my sound card).
    >
    > - anton

    Sorry Anton, I must not have made myself clear.

    I have checked the mute as this was a problem on an old machine - the
    program in the task bar is there, but it is connected to nothing at all
    - it tells me either GStreamer isnt installed (tho it is!) or the device
    isnt connected/installed.

    The ALSA driver finds nothing at all, the install program finds nothing
    at all lspci returns a blank command prompt... ...THIS IS A HARDWARE
    problem with the onboard sound used on this M2N-MX mobo.

    If it cant see the hardware - then ANY solution with ALSA or lspci or
    the mixer is useless... ...I started using the ALSA that came
    with the Debian Etch 64bit DVDs - nothing. Used the ALSA drivers on the
    mobo cd and, u guessed it - nothing. Hooked to the net and got the
    latest ALSA through Synaptic and, whoops, - nothing! *laugh*

    (On a side note, seems linux has a problem with this mobos NIC as well,
    not being able to give it a permanent MAC - so I have one Eth card and
    Im up to Eth8 cos I have rebooted 8 times!)

    Im mainly looking for people who may have this mobo model, and have had
    the sound chips detected by the install, or by alsa.

    Seems there is no one and there is no support at the moment for this
    version of the mobo - looks like Ill have to get myself a soundblaster
    pci card and disable the onboard if I want sound - which I do! :P

    Regards, Rich

  4. Re: Debian Etch Not detecting sound card...

    On Sun, 06 May 2007 11:26:38 +1000, Richard J W wrote:

    > ...I have a OnBoard soundcard as part of my Asus M2N-MX mobo and it seems
    > that it cant find the card?
    >
    > Before I bought the system the HCL's that I had been reading said that the
    > Asus M2N seres was ok, so that why I got it to go with my AMD64.
    >
    > Its there in the bio (only choices are off and auto), the alsa and oss
    > stuff is installed, all the gstreamer stuff is installed, the mute is not
    > on - I have done all the software stuff and all I have left now from what
    > I can tell is:
    >
    > * Download the next kernal (but this only usually solves the problem if it
    > is an ALSA one, and I think this is a HARDWARE one. * Get myself a
    > soundcard and disable the onboard (need to find the right card there
    > too!!!)
    > * Not use sound at all (not really an option, Im joking!)
    >

    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers, RichardJW

    So, are you saying that there is nothing about the soundcard in dmesg,
    that it isn't detected when booting or have you not looked there yet? I
    always like to consult logs to see if there is any information in there
    that will point me in the right direction. The info might help others
    answer your question too, even if they don't have the same MB.

    Rodney

  5. Re: Debian Etch Not detecting sound card...

    [snip]

    > (On a side note, seems linux has a problem with this mobos NIC as well,
    > not being able to give it a permanent MAC - so I have one Eth card and Im
    > up to Eth8 cos I have rebooted 8 times!)

    [snip

    You may want to start a new thread about this network card issue. But I
    must say I don't understand what you mean. MAC address is a unique card
    identifier which is assigned by the manufacturer. They can be spoofed but
    from context of your question I don't think that is involved with your
    issue. I don't understand what you mean by "up to Eth8", where are you
    seeing that designation? Maybe a more detailed explanation, including what
    error messages you get, would help.

    Rodney

  6. Re: Debian Etch Not detecting sound card...

    Rodney wrote:

    > So, are you saying that there is nothing about the soundcard in dmesg,
    > that it isn't detected when booting or have you not looked there yet? I
    > always like to consult logs to see if there is any information in there
    > that will point me in the right direction. The info might help others
    > answer your question too, even if they don't have the same MB.
    >
    > Rodney

    Hey Rod!

    I have narrowed it down to a hardware problem - the board is not
    supported as far as the sound goes. SO there is nothing in dmesg - its
    as if linux cant see ANY sound details whatsoever.

    The M2N-MX board simply isnt supported - after 2 weeks of searching HCL
    and forums, thats what U have discovered.

    So thanks for the help, but its a no go - Im on to looking for people
    who either have the board and got it going with other drivers or
    firmware upgrade or a specific kernal number.

    Thanks, Rich

  7. Re: Debian Etch Not detecting sound card...

    Rodney wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> (On a side note, seems linux has a problem with this mobos NIC as well,
    >> not being able to give it a permanent MAC - so I have one Eth card and Im
    >> up to Eth8 cos I have rebooted 8 times!)
    >>

    > [snip
    >
    > You may want to start a new thread about this network card issue. But I
    > must say I don't understand what you mean. MAC address is a unique card
    > identifier which is assigned by the manufacturer. They can be spoofed but
    > from context of your question I don't think that is involved with your
    > issue. I don't understand what you mean by "up to Eth8", where are you
    > seeing that designation? Maybe a more detailed explanation, including what
    > error messages you get, would help.
    >
    > Rodney

    If youre interested...?

    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.p...331&highlight=

    Thanks, Rich

  8. Re: Debian Etch Not detecting sound card...

    I demand that Richard J W may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > I have narrowed it down to a hardware problem - the board is not supported
    > as far as the sound goes. SO there is nothing in dmesg - its as if linux
    > cant see ANY sound details whatsoever.

    > The M2N-MX board simply isnt supported - after 2 weeks of searching HCL and
    > forums, thats what U have discovered.

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m2n-mx+lspci - the first result contains
    what looks like a solution to me.

    Even moderation ought not to be practiced to excess.

  9. SOLVED - Re: Debian Etch Not detecting sound card...

    Darren Salt wrote:
    > I demand that Richard J W may or may not have written...
    >
    > [snip]
    >> I have narrowed it down to a hardware problem - the board is not supported
    >> as far as the sound goes. SO there is nothing in dmesg - its as if linux
    >> cant see ANY sound details whatsoever.

    >> The M2N-MX board simply isnt supported - after 2 weeks of searching HCL and
    >> forums, thats what U have discovered.

    > http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m2n-mx+lspci - the first result contains
    > what looks like a solution to me.

    Yeah that is a good solution - and of course shows that again this
    problem is a SOFTWARE problem.

    The problem is solved now - I have a faulty motherboard, The sound
    chips up and went from day one, and just recently the PS2 mouse port
    died. Even Asus's BIOS cd couldnt talk to the motherboards soundcard!

    Contacted the distributor and apparently they had a "batch" where the
    same thing happened to a lot of the boards, but didnt bother contacting
    customers.

    Hardware problem, not software, so thanks, but its all sorted.

    Rich

  10. Re: Debian Etch Not detecting sound card...

    On Sun, 06 May 2007 11:26:38 +1000, Richard J W wrote:

    > ...I have a OnBoard soundcard as part of my Asus M2N-MX mobo and it
    > seems that it cant find the card?
    >
    > Before I bought the system the HCL's that I had been reading said that
    > the Asus M2N seres was ok, so that why I got it to go with my AMD64.
    >
    > Its there in the bio (only choices are off and auto), the alsa and oss
    > stuff is installed, all the gstreamer stuff is installed, the mute is
    > not on - I have done all the software stuff and all I have left now from
    > what I can tell is:
    >
    > * Download the next kernal (but this only usually solves the problem if
    > it is an ALSA one, and I think this is a HARDWARE one.
    > * Get myself a soundcard and disable the onboard (need to find the right
    > card there too!!!)
    > * Not use sound at all (not really an option, Im joking!)
    >

    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers, RichardJW

    RJW:

    I run an ASUS-m2n on Dapperx64. Onboard sound is not supported. I bought
    an SB16. No problemo.

    nss
    ******

+ Reply to Thread