Cannot boot the Kubuntu disk - Hardware

This is a discussion on Cannot boot the Kubuntu disk - Hardware ; I have a PC that was running windows XP and died. It sure looked like that hard disk crashed. I purchased a new hard disk and attempted to load up Kubuntu. The PC read the CDROM and prompted with several ...

  1. Cannot boot the Kubuntu disk

    I have a PC that was running windows XP and died. It
    sure looked like that hard disk crashed. I purchased
    a new hard disk and attempted to load up Kubuntu.

    The PC read the CDROM and prompted with several options,
    one of which is to install Kubuntu. I selected the install
    and it took several minutes but I got the following
    message:

    [17179716.848000] hdd: ide_intr: huh? expected Null handler on exit
    [17179716.848000] Buffer I/O error on device hdd, logical block 177903.

    I swapped out the hard disk for another one and got the same
    error message. I do plan to test the disk drives in another PC
    when I have one available, but I can't test them right now.

    Does anyone have an idea on what the error message means?

    Thank you in advance.

    Jim Anderson

  2. Re: Cannot boot the Kubuntu disk

    Bill,

    I'm not sure that 'hdd' is the CDROM drive, but it is
    worth a try. I have to work the next few days, but I'll
    try to download and create a new CDROM next week. Thank
    you for the suggestion,

    Regards,
    Jim

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 May 2007 22:24:12 GMT, Jim Anderson
    > wrote:
    >>

    >> I have a PC that was running windows XP and died. It
    >> sure looked like that hard disk crashed. I purchased
    >> a new hard disk and attempted to load up Kubuntu.
    >>
    >> The PC read the CDROM and prompted with several options,
    >> one of which is to install Kubuntu. I selected the install
    >> and it took several minutes but I got the following
    >> message:
    >>
    >> [17179716.848000] hdd: ide_intr: huh? expected Null handler on exit
    >> [17179716.848000] Buffer I/O error on device hdd, logical block 177903.
    >>
    >> I swapped out the hard disk for another one and got the same
    >> error message. I do plan to test the disk drives in another PC
    >> when I have one available, but I can't test them right now.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea on what the error message means?
    >>

    > Assuming that hdd is your cdrom drive, you might need to download and
    > burn another CD.

  3. Re: Cannot boot the Kubuntu disk

    Jim Anderson wrote:

    > Bill,
    >
    > I'm not sure that 'hdd' is the CDROM drive, but it is
    > worth a try. I have to work the next few days, but I'll
    > try to download and create a new CDROM next week. Thank
    > you for the suggestion,
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jim
    >
    > Bill Marcum wrote:
    >> On Fri, 04 May 2007 22:24:12 GMT, Jim Anderson
    >> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> I have a PC that was running windows XP and died. It
    >>> sure looked like that hard disk crashed. I purchased
    >>> a new hard disk and attempted to load up Kubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> The PC read the CDROM and prompted with several options,
    >>> one of which is to install Kubuntu. I selected the install
    >>> and it took several minutes but I got the following
    >>> message:
    >>>
    >>> [17179716.848000] hdd: ide_intr: huh? expected Null handler on exit
    >>> [17179716.848000] Buffer I/O error on device hdd, logical block 177903.
    >>>
    >>> I swapped out the hard disk for another one and got the same
    >>> error message. I do plan to test the disk drives in another PC
    >>> when I have one available, but I can't test them right now.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have an idea on what the error message means?
    >>>

    >> Assuming that hdd is your cdrom drive, you might need to download and
    >> burn another CD.

    Usual notation for IDE disks is:
    hda Primary Master
    hdb Primary Slave