my scanner, she no scan - Hardware

This is a discussion on my scanner, she no scan - Hardware ; So I have [1] this scanner, an Acer Acerscan Prisa 620S. It's SCSI, controlled by an Adaptec 2940UW. As I rolled my own kernel, it's entirely possible I left something out. It worked before I went from 2.6.15.1 to 2.6.20.6 ...

  1. my scanner, she no scan

    So I have [1] this scanner, an Acer Acerscan Prisa 620S. It's SCSI,
    controlled by an Adaptec 2940UW. As I rolled my own kernel, it's
    entirely possible I left something out. It worked before I went from
    2.6.15.1 to 2.6.20.6 [2] (I did have to rmmod/modprobe aic7xxx as the
    scanner was probably not "on" during boot), but I couldn't find a way to
    use the working kernel as a starting point. Observations:

    cdrecord -scanbus says:

    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) 'Generic ' 'STORAGE DEVICE ' '0125' Removable Disk
    0,1,0 1) *
    0,2,0 2) *
    0,3,0 3) *
    0,4,0 4) *
    0,5,0 5) *
    0,6,0 6) *
    0,7,0 7) *
    scsibus1:
    1,0,0 100) *
    1,1,0 101) *
    1,2,0 102) *
    1,3,0 103) 'Color ' 'FlatbedScanner_9' '0115' Scanner
    1,4,0 104) *
    1,5,0 105) *
    1,6,0 106) *
    1,7,0 107) *

    That thing on 0,0,0 is probably my (USB) card [5] reader.

    When I run xsane, either with no arguments or "/dev/sg0", "/dev/sg1", or
    DRIVERNAME:/dev/sg0 or DRIVERNAME:/dev/sg1, I get a popup that says "

    Failed to open device `DRIVERNAME:/dev/sgX':
    Invalid argument

    That's if I ran it with an argument. If I didn't, I get

    no devices available

    If I rmmod/modprobe aic7xxx (the driver module for the SCSI card), the
    second bus number increments by 1 but otherwise nothing changes.

    I suspect xsane only looks at the first SCSI bus, and if a scanner
    isn't there, tough. So how do I point it at a particular device?

    [1] Well not _own_, more like "use right now". But that's not important
    right now.

    [2] to get some component [3] on my new motherboard [4] to work

    [3] DMA on the PATA controller?

    [4] Asus M2N-E SLi

    [5] as in CF and SD, not mag stripe

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81

    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
    hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

  2. Re: my scanner, she no scan

    Hactar wrote:
    > So I have [1] this scanner, an Acer Acerscan Prisa 620S. It's SCSI,
    > controlled by an Adaptec 2940UW. As I rolled my own kernel, it's
    > entirely possible I left something out. It worked before I went from
    > 2.6.15.1 to 2.6.20.6 [2] (I did have to rmmod/modprobe aic7xxx as the
    > scanner was probably not "on" during boot), but I couldn't find a way to
    > use the working kernel as a starting point. Observations:
    >
    > cdrecord -scanbus says:

    > scsibus1:
    > 1,0,0 100) *
    > 1,1,0 101) *
    > 1,2,0 102) *
    > 1,3,0 103) 'Color ' 'FlatbedScanner_9' '0115' Scanner
    > 1,4,0 104) *

    > When I run xsane, either with no arguments or "/dev/sg0", "/dev/sg1", or
    > DRIVERNAME:/dev/sg0 or DRIVERNAME:/dev/sg1, I get a popup that says "
    >
    > Failed to open device `DRIVERNAME:/dev/sgX':
    > Invalid argument

    > If I rmmod/modprobe aic7xxx (the driver module for the SCSI card), the
    > second bus number increments by 1 but otherwise nothing changes.
    >
    > I suspect xsane only looks at the first SCSI bus, and if a scanner
    > isn't there, tough. So how do I point it at a particular device?

    I've tryed an acer scanner scsi some time ago, and the only software that worked
    with was "vuescan" from hamrick soft.
    It worked very well but it is to buy, and im my opinion it is worth every cent.
    You can also dl a demo version, of course to try.

    hth Ciao.

    --
    Faciait li signeur!

    Roy Batty
    http://www.regalodautore.it/

  3. Re: my scanner, she no scan

    Hactar wrote:
    > So I have [1] this scanner, an Acer Acerscan Prisa 620S. It's SCSI,
    > controlled by an Adaptec 2940UW. As I rolled my own kernel, it's
    > entirely possible I left something out. It worked before I went from
    > 2.6.15.1 to 2.6.20.6 [2] (I did have to rmmod/modprobe aic7xxx as the
    > scanner was probably not "on" during boot), but I couldn't find a way to
    > use the working kernel as a starting point. Observations:

    [snip]
    > When I run xsane, either with no arguments or "/dev/sg0", "/dev/sg1", or
    > DRIVERNAME:/dev/sg0 or DRIVERNAME:/dev/sg1, I get a popup that says "
    >
    > Failed to open device `DRIVERNAME:/dev/sgX':
    > Invalid argument

    Is the 'sg' kernel module loaded? Do the /dev/sg* entries exist under
    /dev? If not, are you using udev or traditional static /dev?

  4. Re: my scanner, she no scan

    In article <463b2a7d$0$7733$5fc30a8@news.tiscali.it>,
    RRB wrote:
    > Hactar wrote:
    > > So I have [1] this scanner, an Acer Acerscan Prisa 620S. It's SCSI,
    > > controlled by an Adaptec 2940UW. As I rolled my own kernel, it's
    > > entirely possible I left something out. It worked before I went from
    > > 2.6.15.1 to 2.6.20.6 [2] (I did have to rmmod/modprobe aic7xxx as the
    > > scanner was probably not "on" during boot), but I couldn't find a way to
    > > use the working kernel as a starting point. Observations:

    > I've tryed an acer scanner scsi some time ago, and the only software
    > that worked
    > with was "vuescan" from hamrick soft.
    > It worked very well but it is to buy, and im my opinion it is worth every cent.
    > You can also dl a demo version, of course to try.

    It used to work (modulo some manual things) under 2.6.15.1. What
    changed? I don't recall I did anything special then (though a cable was
    hard to find, and I still got the wrong one [need screws, not clips]).

    A. A Top Poster \ http://www.fscked.co.uk/
    B. Who's there? \ writing/
    A. Knock-knock -- from bobward@xxx.com \ top-posting-cuss.html

  5. Re: my scanner, she no scan

    In article ,
    John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    > Hactar wrote:
    > > So I have [1] this scanner, an Acer Acerscan Prisa 620S. It's SCSI,
    > > controlled by an Adaptec 2940UW. As I rolled my own kernel, it's
    > > entirely possible I left something out. It worked before I went from
    > > 2.6.15.1 to 2.6.20.6 [2] (I did have to rmmod/modprobe aic7xxx as the
    > > scanner was probably not "on" during boot), but I couldn't find a way to
    > > use the working kernel as a starting point. Observations:

    > [snip]
    > > When I run xsane, either with no arguments or "/dev/sg0", "/dev/sg1", or
    > > DRIVERNAME:/dev/sg0 or DRIVERNAME:/dev/sg1, I get a popup that says "
    > >
    > > Failed to open device `DRIVERNAME:/dev/sgX':
    > > Invalid argument

    I unplugged & replugged the card reader so now the buses look like this:

    scsibus2:
    2,0,0 200) *
    2,1,0 201) *
    2,2,0 202) *
    2,3,0 203) 'Color ' 'FlatbedScanner_9' '0115' Scanner
    2,4,0 204) *
    2,5,0 205) *
    2,6,0 206) *
    2,7,0 207) *
    scsibus3:
    3,0,0 300) 'Generic ' 'STORAGE DEVICE ' '0125' Removable Disk
    3,1,0 301) *
    3,2,0 302) *
    3,3,0 303) *
    3,4,0 304) *
    3,5,0 305) *
    3,6,0 306) *
    3,7,0 307) *

    And I commented out the firmware line in /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf
    because I read
    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/piper...er/000852.html
    in which a developer(?) says the 620ST uses snapscan and thought just
    maybe I'll get lucky...

    > Is the 'sg' kernel module loaded?

    Yes:

    root@pc:~# lsmod | grep sg
    sg 19160 0

    > Do the /dev/sg* entries exist under /dev?

    Yes:

    root@pc:~# ls -l /dev/sg*
    crw-rw---- 1 root scanner 21, 0 May 4 11:24 /dev/sg0
    crw-rw---- 1 root scanner 21, 1 May 4 11:24 /dev/sg1
    crw-rw---- 1 root scanner 21, 2 May 4 11:24 /dev/sg2
    crw-rw---- 1 root scanner 21, 3 May 4 11:24 /dev/sg3
    crw-rw---- 1 root scanner 21, 4 May 4 02:02 /dev/sg4

    I manually changed their owners from root.root to root.scanner. I'm a
    member of the "scanner" group:

    eben@pc:~$ groups | tr ' ' '\n' | grep scan
    scanner

    Obviously that won't stick over restart, so I guess I'll have to mess
    with udev.

    PISCES: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola
    virus. You are the Lord of the Dance, no matter what those
    idiots at work say. -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

+ Reply to Thread