Re: nothing works on ASUS M2R32-MVP - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: nothing works on ASUS M2R32-MVP - Hardware ; Sorry I just dont have time to become an honorary member of the kernel team and solve linux's hardware problems.. ok that comment was a little jerky, but true I dont have time. Im getting a new board. Most of ...

  1. Re: nothing works on ASUS M2R32-MVP

    Sorry I just dont have time to become an honorary member of the kernel
    team and solve linux's hardware problems.. ok that comment was a little
    jerky, but true I dont have time. Im getting a new board.

    Most of the problems are related to the SB600 south bridge sata. Latest
    kernels supposedly fix some of the problems. Search for that and M2R32
    and you should find some reports. As you stated earlier I think alot of
    it might be BIOS. I am running AMD 64 X2 4200, ATI X1600, 1GB RAM,
    generic DVDR, a SATA 3.0Gbps 250GB HD. Thats about it. Yeah I tried
    openSUSE 10.2, & 10.3.

    I think its a good chipset. Hopefully a future BIOS will straighten this
    board out.

    > You mentioned in a previous post that you have run across other
    > reports of Linux failing this particular board. Can you tell
    > me where to look for these comments? If I have time I will
    > drop in and see if I can suggest anything.
    >
    > Also, I have not seen much in your messages about your total
    > configuration. What have you got attached to the board and
    > where? What CPU?

  2. Re: nothing works on ASUS M2R32-MVP

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 18:25:14 -0700, notname wrote:

    >Sorry I just dont have time to become an honorary member of the kernel
    >team and solve linux's hardware problems.. ok that comment was a little
    >jerky, but true I dont have time.

    Neither do I. I am busy taking care of people. But it seems to
    me that you have probably put enough time jumping around from one
    installation to another, that maybe you would have been better off
    trying to work with one of the teams and they might have been able
    to get it running. But that is hindsight. . . .

    > Im getting a new board.

    Best of luck with that approach.

    >Most of the problems are related to the SB600 south bridge sata. Latest
    >kernels supposedly fix some of the problems. Search for that and M2R32
    >and you should find some reports.

    That was why I asked. I tried "a search" and did not find anything
    about this problem. Where are you looking? (Digresssion: Sometimes
    I find the Internet is not anywhere near as useful as . . . .)

    >As you stated earlier I think alot of
    >it might be BIOS. I am running AMD 64 X2 4200,

    I am running single core

    >ATI X1600

    That is what I am running now, but on my first load I ran
    an old ATi Rage 128 PCI card. That might have helped me.

    >1GB RAM,

    My first boot installation was a single 512MB, which I
    upgraded to 2 x 512MB for theoretical extra speed, but
    it should not make any difference.

    >generic DVDR

    I do not expect the DVD to make a difference.

    >a SATA 3.0Gbps 250GB HD.

    My first drive was a Maxtor 80 GB SATA. Now, I also run
    other drives on the PATA line.

    Thats about it. Yeah I tried

    >openSUSE 10.2, & 10.3.

    >I think its a good chipset. Hopefully a future BIOS will straighten this
    >board out. . . .

    Well, we'll see. The chipset was a very good buy. I
    found that the MSI BIOS has the ability to double the original
    PCIe speed. At first I did not know why they would do such
    a thing. Then it turns out that PCIe was upgraded to double
    the speed. So in effect, MSI's BIOS gives me the upgraded
    PCIe support without any more changes. I would guess that
    they might update it again later to make it change speed
    automatically, but it is nice to know I did not get caught
    with an obsolete board before I even got it running.

  3. Re: nothing works on ASUS M2R32-MVP

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 18:25:14 -0700, notname wrote:

    >Sorry I just dont have time to become an honorary member of the kernel
    >team and solve linux's hardware problems.. ok that comment was a little
    >jerky, but true I dont have time. Im getting a new board.

    .. . .

    Ok, so this reply is probably already too late, but I did try the
    Internet search again yesterday and this is what I found *this time*:

    1. There are almost (note the ALMOST) no other discussions about
    your board having problems with Linux in the first couple of pages
    of searches. There are just a bunch of sites where they have stored
    THIS discussion.

    2. Looking back over this discussion, you have a couple of guys
    who chimed in "I'm having [or have seen] problems just like yours
    -- sort of." Looking closer at those messages, NONE of them confirm
    a problem with your board. In fact, the other boards mentioned were
    nVidia chipset boards. So much for the other guys who have posted
    that nVidia based boards are wonderful and trouble free. They aren't.

    3. A lot of problems seem to be ASUS. Yes, enough that I would
    say that this where the problem seems to be coming from, and I
    think that BIOS changes by ASUS might fix a number of installation
    issues we have seen in Linux. Actually, I *am* surprised by this.

    4. The only thing I found that would confirm your problem is
    a report about Ubuntu, and that guy DID get his board running,
    though not to his satisfaction:

    a. [Go search for "M2R32-MVP" and "Ubuntu" or "Linux"]
    Apparently, this guy found that he could load his Ubuntu
    if he had "ACPI OFF". If I understood the discussion, he
    later found that he could turn "ON" ACPI iff he changed a
    specific interrupt trap.

    Now, this is certainly nowhere near "obvious" and there are
    probably few people in the normal world who would have figured
    this out. I highly doubt that I could have figured it out.
    So there is nothing to make light of in this situation.
    However, it does go back to my previous comment about working
    with the development teams.

    5. About ACPI: If I can run with ACPI I will always
    choose to do so. But really, if you are just running a
    fairly simple system, it should not make all that much
    difference. So I do not know if I rank this a major or
    minor problem.

    6. About "new" motherboards. One thing not mentioned in
    this discussion, but important if you are going to buy yet
    another "new" motherboard. You should NOT buy the latest
    greatest motherboard if you want an easy time getting Linux
    up and running. This has been said many times before.
    Also, forget about "nVidia is wonderful". If you check
    back in any given year there are always complaints about
    "nVidia" chipsets, going back to the 3 series in particular.

    Assuming you do want to buy a current production motherboard
    and you want to buy nVidia, well, I would guess that the
    "4" series products are probably stable. I think there
    are a couple worthwhile products still being made. But
    the same goes for slightly older Via and SiS and yes, ATi
    motherboards.

    But the truth is, if you want a *really* safe Linux system
    they you probably want a motherboard that came out, say
    2 - 3 years ago, and was a fairly good selling motherboard
    back then. The Linux packagers have had a good amount of
    time to fix all the problems.

    So if you are going to buy another motherboard, and you
    go out and buy yet another latest-greatest type product,
    well, good luck.