Opinions on this collection of parts please? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Opinions on this collection of parts please? - Hardware ; I'm dangerously close to ordering these parts to assemble a new system. I'll be recycling my LCD display, keyboard and mouse, but here's what I'm looking at: Motherboard - Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard Processor ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    I'm dangerously close to ordering these parts to assemble a new system.
    I'll be recycling my LCD display, keyboard and mouse, but here's what
    I'm looking at:

    Motherboard - Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel
    Motherboard

    Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model
    BX80557E6600

    HSF - www.hitechvendors.com Thermaltake CL-P0372 TMG i2 CPU Cooler For
    Intel LGA775

    RAM - Crucial CT2KIT12864AA53E 2 x 1GB

    Video - EVGA 256 GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

    HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 400GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

    DVDRW - LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA

    NIC - LINKSYS WMP54G 32bit PCI2.2 Wireless-G Adapter

    Case - Cool Master Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower black aluminum bezel

    Power sup. - COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01
    500W Power Supply

    OS will be Mandriva 2007.1

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Save yourself! Reboot in 5 seconds!

  2. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Mark Adams wrote:

    > OS will be Mandriva 2007.1

    Check it all with a live CD, before you commit, if possible.
    If you require 3d graphics, I would definately go for a card that supports
    open source drivers, so I would choose a different video card at this time.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 14:36:16 -0600, Mark Adams wrote:

    > I'm dangerously close to ordering these parts to assemble a new system.
    > I'll be recycling my LCD display, keyboard and mouse, but here's what
    > I'm looking at:
    >
    > Motherboard - Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel
    > Motherboard
    >
    > Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model
    > BX80557E6600
    >
    > HSF - www.hitechvendors.com Thermaltake CL-P0372 TMG i2 CPU Cooler For
    > Intel LGA775
    >
    > RAM - Crucial CT2KIT12864AA53E 2 x 1GB
    >
    > Video - EVGA 256 GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
    >
    > HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 400GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    >
    > DVDRW - LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA
    >
    > NIC - LINKSYS WMP54G 32bit PCI2.2 Wireless-G Adapter
    >
    > Case - Cool Master Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower black aluminum bezel
    >
    > Power sup. - COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01
    > 500W Power Supply
    >
    > OS will be Mandriva 2007.1
    >
    > --
    > Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    > http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042
    >
    > CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    > Save yourself! Reboot in 5 seconds!

    Just out of curiosity, have you checked to see if a 'barebones' kit might
    be cheaper?

  4. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    >> OS will be Mandriva 2007.1

    > Check it all with a live CD, before you commit, if possible.
    > If you require 3d graphics, I would definately go for a card that supports
    > open source drivers, so I would choose a different video card at this time.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    Live CD is not an option. Would you recommend an older Nvidia card?
    Like say, a 7300?

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is caused by greed and ignorance."
    -- Cal Keegan

  5. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    ray wrote:

    > Just out of curiosity, have you checked to see if a 'barebones' kit might
    > be cheaper?

    I looked at barebones options and Tigerdirect had deal on the core 2 duo
    in the DG965WHMKR mobo that was in a case I didn't like for about $50
    more than I'm pricing this list (mostly NewEgg). Most of their
    barebones systems around this motherboard were no longer available, so I
    looked elsewhere for the components.

    I have looked hard at what I want and I believe the core 2 duo is the
    thing. The best motherboard I could find in the sweetspot between price
    and features was the DG965WHMKR.

    This doesn't have to be a killer gaming rig, just a system that's better
    than what I've got now, with some room to grow down the line.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    I am dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your ass laminated.

  6. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    On May 2, 3:38 pm, Mark Adams wrote:
    > Mark Hobley wrote:
    > > Mark Adams wrote:

    > >> OS will be Mandriva 2007.1

    > > Check it all with a live CD, before you commit, if possible.
    > > If you require 3d graphics, I would definately go for a card that supports
    > > open source drivers, so I would choose a different video card at this time.

    > > Regards,

    > > Mark.

    > Live CD is not an option. Would you recommend an older Nvidia card?
    > Like say, a 7300?

    radeon 850 has oss drivers if you need 3d. if you nsist on nvidia
    7600gt most likely has far fewer hw bugs than 8600gt and you'd have
    more choices
    for which driver to run. 7300 is probably very low end, steer clear of
    that.

    if you don't need 3d the onboard video on g965 would work just fine.
    In fact i'd recommend that you get the system without a graphics card
    first, burn it in and then decide on the graphics card (if you need
    it).

    if you plan to run windows too i'd just buy a ready desktop system
    from hp.
    cheaper and less hassle. problem is that you can't chose xp and would
    be stuck
    with vista: no opengl support there.

  7. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Mark Adams wrote:

    > Live CD is not an option. Would you recommend an older Nvidia card?
    > Like say, a 7300?

    I don't recommend Nvidia cards at all.

    I use Radeon 9000s and 9200s here. They work extremely well with open source
    drivers.

    Newer Radeon cards use the R300 driver, which has some issues, but are
    reported to be working. I have not seen the newer cards in use yet, but maybe
    someone here will advise you.

    http://megahurts.dk/rune/r300_status.html

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  8. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    >> Live CD is not an option. Would you recommend an older Nvidia card?
    >> Like say, a 7300?

    > I don't recommend Nvidia cards at all.
    >
    > I use Radeon 9000s and 9200s here. They work extremely well with open source
    > drivers.
    >
    > Newer Radeon cards use the R300 driver, which has some issues, but are
    > reported to be working. I have not seen the newer cards in use yet, but maybe
    > someone here will advise you.
    >
    > http://megahurts.dk/rune/r300_status.html
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    The fact of the matter is I'm using a Radeon 9250 right now and I've got
    a spare sapphire 9250 in my closet.

    I'm seeing issues with 3d rendering with the 9250 under Mandriva 2007; I
    can't run it because it's so slow. I wanted to give Nvidia a try since
    I've never used an Nvidia card.

    And it's in the budget :-)

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Character is what you are in the dark!
    -- Lord John Whorfin

  9. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 14:36:16 -0600, Mark Adams wrote:

    > I'm dangerously close to ordering these parts to assemble a new system.
    > I'll be recycling my LCD display, keyboard and mouse, but here's what
    > I'm looking at:
    >
    > Motherboard - Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel
    > Motherboard
    >
    > Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model
    > BX80557E6600
    >
    > HSF - www.hitechvendors.com Thermaltake CL-P0372 TMG i2 CPU Cooler For
    > Intel LGA775
    >
    > RAM - Crucial CT2KIT12864AA53E 2 x 1GB
    >
    > Video - EVGA 256 GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
    >
    > HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 400GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    >
    > DVDRW - LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA
    >
    > NIC - LINKSYS WMP54G 32bit PCI2.2 Wireless-G Adapter
    >
    > Case - Cool Master Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower black aluminum bezel
    >
    > Power sup. - COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01
    > 500W Power Supply
    >
    > OS will be Mandriva 2007.1
    >
    > --
    > Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    > http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042
    >
    > CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . . Save
    > yourself! Reboot in 5 seconds!

    It mostly looks fine, the only thing that I'm not sure of is the WiFi
    card, you need to double check that it's Linux compatible. I don't see
    support for the 8600 on Nvidia's site, I'd pick a 7xxx card if I were you.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html

  10. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Mark Adams wrote:

    > The fact of the matter is I'm using a Radeon 9250 right now and I've got
    > a spare sapphire 9250 in my closet.
    >
    > I'm seeing issues with 3d rendering with the 9250 under Mandriva 2007; I
    > can't run it because it's so slow. I wanted to give Nvidia a try since
    > I've never used an Nvidia card.
    >
    > And it's in the budget :-)

    I only use Nvidia. They work very well, performance is within
    just a few percentage points of their Windows driver equivalents
    (assuming you are using Nvidia's Linux drivers).

    ATI's drivers are roughly half the speed of their Windows
    equivalents.

    I own the evga 7600gt... I highly recommend it... perhaps a
    bit louder than it could be though. I also have an xfx 6600gt
    (agp)... and it works quite well. I prefer the midrange
    boards... I've had a 7900gt (briefly)... but it didn't feel
    like it was giving me all that much more performance wise.

    Mandriva is an excellent distro.. HOWEVER, my experience is
    that when Mandriva goes bad... it goes REALLY bad.

    Can't comment too much on the rest of your config. Just wanted
    to reassure you that Nvidia is a better choice if you want
    full-tilt hardware accelerated 3d. ATI isn't even close.

  11. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 01:08:07 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:

    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    >> Live CD is not an option. Would you recommend an older Nvidia card?
    >> Like say, a 7300?

    > I don't recommend Nvidia cards at all.

    What makes you believe your recommendations are worth anything?

    --
    Vladimir

  12. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes:
    >Newer Radeon cards use the R300 driver, which has some issues, but are
    >reported to be working. I have not seen the newer cards in use yet, but maybe
    >someone here will advise you.

    I have tried several R300 and R400 cards, and they work nicely. You
    may remember my reports in

    <2006Dec5.174434@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
    <2006Dec15.200226@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
    <2006Dec15.202458@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
    <2007Feb2.184806@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

    R500 cards (Radeon X1xxx) are not recommended (not even free
    2D-accelerated drivers).

    The OP has already had quite a bit of advice from me
    (e.g., <2007Apr22.092210@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>) and others.

    - anton

  13. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    On May 2, 8:26 pm, Chris Cox wrote:
    > Mark Adams wrote:

    > > The fact of the matter is I'm using a Radeon 9250 right now and I've got
    > > a spare sapphire 9250 in my closet.

    > > I'm seeing issues with 3d rendering with the 9250 under Mandriva 2007; I
    > > can't run it because it's so slow. I wanted to give Nvidia a try since
    > > I've never used an Nvidia card.

    > > And it's in the budget :-)

    > I only use Nvidia. They work very well, performance is within
    > just a few percentage points of their Windows driver equivalents
    > (assuming you are using Nvidia's Linux drivers).
    >
    > ATI's drivers are roughly half the speed of their Windows
    > equivalents.
    >
    > I own the evga 7600gt... I highly recommend it... perhaps a
    > bit louder than it could be though. I also have an xfx 6600gt
    > (agp)... and it works quite well. I prefer the midrange
    > boards... I've had a 7900gt (briefly)... but it didn't feel
    > like it was giving me all that much more performance wise.
    >
    > Mandriva is an excellent distro.. HOWEVER, my experience is
    > that when Mandriva goes bad... it goes REALLY bad.
    >
    > Can't comment too much on the rest of your config. Just wanted
    > to reassure you that Nvidia is a better choice if you want
    > full-tilt hardware accelerated 3d. ATI isn't even close.

    it's a performance versus reliability tradeoff

  14. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    sndive@gmail.com wrote:
    > it's a performance versus reliability tradeoff

    Uh... that's definitely NOT true with regards to ATI's
    drivers. Nvidia's aren't perfect, but development is
    active and fixes are made quite often. ATI has
    more bugs (IMHO) and development goes stagnant for
    long periods of time.

  15. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > ATI has more bugs (IMHO) and development goes stagnant for long periods
    > of time.

    That is true for the ATI binary drivers. With r200 based ATI cards you
    have also very good opensource drivers to choose from. In my experience
    those drivers are really stable. With r300 based ATI cards you once again
    have opensource drivers to choose from. The r300 drivers was developed
    using reverse engineering in lack of specifications. I have no experience
    from the r300 drivers myself, but from what I have read it seems as if
    they have done a lot of progress.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  16. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >> ATI has more bugs (IMHO) and development goes stagnant for long periods
    >> of time.

    > That is true for the ATI binary drivers. With r200 based ATI cards you
    > have also very good opensource drivers to choose from. In my experience
    > those drivers are really stable. With r300 based ATI cards you once again
    > have opensource drivers to choose from. The r300 drivers was developed
    > using reverse engineering in lack of specifications. I have no experience
    > from the r300 drivers myself, but from what I have read it seems as if
    > they have done a lot of progress.

    Ok.... yes... I have used the open source drivers. And if that
    level of performance is good enough.. then sure... go for it.

  17. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >> Chris Cox wrote:
    >>> ATI has more bugs (IMHO) and development goes stagnant for long periods
    >>> of time.

    >> That is true for the ATI binary drivers. With r200 based ATI cards you
    >> have also very good opensource drivers to choose from.

    > Ok.... yes... I have used the open source drivers. And if that level of
    > performance is good enough.. then sure... go for it.

    I once tried the binary driver from ATI on my Radeon 9200. However, the
    OpenSource driver from X.org gave me better performance. I don't have the
    numbers anymore, but part of the explanation might be that I was using a
    color depth of 16 bits with the OpenSource driver. The binary driver only
    supported 24 (or maybe it was 32) bit color. So, in my experience, the
    opensource driver gives better performance than the binary driver.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  18. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > I once tried the binary driver from ATI on my Radeon 9200. However, the
    > OpenSource driver from X.org gave me better performance. I don't have the
    > numbers anymore, but part of the explanation might be that I was using a
    > color depth of 16 bits with the OpenSource driver. The binary driver only
    > supported 24 (or maybe it was 32) bit color. So, in my experience, the
    > opensource driver gives better performance than the binary driver.

    I too like the opensource driver... I have a D600 with a 9200 in it.

    But let's face it... that's a VERY low end 3d card.

  19. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    > I have a D600 with a 9200 in it.
    >
    > But let's face it... that's a VERY low end 3d card.

    Yes, the 9200 was a low end card when it was new. Today it is also an old
    card. However, when the 9200 was new, even though it was low end it was
    one of the fastest cards with OpenSource drivers. A Radeon 9000 Pro which
    had higher clock speeds was slightly faster even though it only supported
    AGP4. A Radeon 8500 (later known as 9100) also was faster even though
    those cards was older. At that time, compared to Radeon 9200, the mid
    range 9600 and the high end 9800 was not supported by any opensource
    driver. If you by then wanted a high end card you had no opensource driver
    to choose from that supported hardware 3D acceleration. If you wanted a
    card with a binary driver an nVidia card would be a better choice.

    Today things are a little different. The 9600 and 9800 are supported by
    the opensource r300 driver, but still, the latest X1* cards are not
    supported by any opensource driver.

    Even though the Radeon 9200 was a low end card and today it is also an old
    card it still outperforms any graphics chip from intel. Today it also
    outperforms any graphics chip from nVidia if opensource drivers are used
    as it leaves nVidia with software rendering only. Maybe one day the
    opensource nouveau driver for nVidia will change this.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  20. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >> I have a D600 with a 9200 in it.
    >>
    >> But let's face it... that's a VERY low end 3d card.

    > Yes, the 9200 was a low end card when it was new. Today it is also an old
    > card. However, when the 9200 was new, even though it was low end it was
    > one of the fastest cards with OpenSource drivers. A Radeon 9000 Pro which

    Now that I certainly won't disagree with. The lack of opensource
    hardware accelerated drivers is somewhat discouraging.

    > had higher clock speeds was slightly faster even though it only supported
    > AGP4. A Radeon 8500 (later known as 9100) also was faster even though
    > those cards was older. At that time, compared to Radeon 9200, the mid
    > range 9600 and the high end 9800 was not supported by any opensource
    > driver. If you by then wanted a high end card you had no opensource driver
    > to choose from that supported hardware 3D acceleration. If you wanted a
    > card with a binary driver an nVidia card would be a better choice.
    >
    > Today things are a little different. The 9600 and 9800 are supported by
    > the opensource r300 driver, but still, the latest X1* cards are not
    > supported by any opensource driver.

    Obviously good news for the opensource community... but as you mention,
    a problem for users with newer equipment.... and thanks (or no thanks)
    to Vista, there's a lot of that happening right now.

    > Even though the Radeon 9200 was a low end card and today it is also an old
    > card it still outperforms any graphics chip from intel. Today it also
    > outperforms any graphics chip from nVidia if opensource drivers are used
    > as it leaves nVidia with software rendering only. Maybe one day the
    > opensource nouveau driver for nVidia will change this.

    We can only hope. I would love to see ATI or Nvidia open up. I suspect
    (and this is mere suspicion ONLY) that the reason why the non-free
    ATI drivers are so bad is because they may be attempting a "clean"
    driver base... one that could go open without embarrassment or
    instant lawsuit. I really do believe that's the main reason why
    neither Nvidia nor ATI will open up. They know the day someone looks at
    their code is the day they have to close their doors (AMD affords ATI
    some extra protection though... maybe).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast