Opinions on this collection of parts please? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Opinions on this collection of parts please? - Hardware ; Chris Cox writes: >Henrik Carlqvist wrote: >>> I have a D600 with a 9200 in it. >>> >>> But let's face it... that's a VERY low end 3d card. >> >> Yes, the 9200 was a low end card when ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Chris Cox writes:
    >Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >>> I have a D600 with a 9200 in it.
    >>>
    >>> But let's face it... that's a VERY low end 3d card.

    >> Yes, the 9200 was a low end card when it was new.

    It may have been low end marketingwise, but it's not much slower than
    the later 9600 that you consider mid-range, and AFAIK it's also not
    much slower than the older 8500/9100 that was a high-end card in its
    day. Just make sure you get a version with a 128-bit memory interface
    (the same applies to cards like the 9600, 9550, X300 and X550).

    >Now that I certainly won't disagree with. The lack of opensource
    >hardware accelerated drivers is somewhat discouraging.

    There are free hardware-accelerated drivers (in particular for the
    cards mentioned above), you just have to buy the right cards. As long
    as the manufacturers don't feel a significant impact on their sales
    from not providing programming details or free drivers, they will
    continue to keep their drivers proprietary.

    >> Today things are a little different. The 9600 and 9800 are supported by
    >> the opensource r300 driver, but still, the latest X1* cards are not
    >> supported by any opensource driver.

    Nor is there any project to develop free drivers for the R500 (X1xxx)
    cards AFAIK; not even 2D acceleration (they don't have that). Stay
    away from these cards.

    But there are still many cards you can buy that have free
    3D-accelerated drivers, in particular Intel graphics (currently only
    chipset graphics), and Radeons up to the X850XT. The X850XT is an
    former high-end card that's now sold at mid-range price.

    >Obviously good news for the opensource community... but as you mention,
    >a problem for users with newer equipment....

    Not necessarily, you can buy, e.g., a new X850XT, or a new motherboard
    with a 965G or 945G chipset.

    >I would love to see ATI or Nvidia open up. I suspect
    >(and this is mere suspicion ONLY) that the reason why the non-free
    >ATI drivers are so bad is because they may be attempting a "clean"
    >driver base... one that could go open without embarrassment or
    >instant lawsuit.

    ATI used to be open and provided R200 programming information. That's
    how we got the R200 driver (and much later the R300 driver, even
    though ATI had become closed by then). Apparently the sales impact
    was not big enough for them to stay open. As long as people recommend
    cards without free drivers without at least cautioning about that
    lack, that's not going to change.

    - anton

  2. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Mark,
    What are your requirements. What do you want to do with the system. When
    buying a desktop, I prefer to define the components and go to store I like
    and that has all the components and let them put it together. I just had a
    system put together and they only charged $30 without installing the OS. I
    like Asus MBs. The Intel CPU is a good one. The power supply is good. I
    choose a case with audio, USB, and Firewire coming out the front. The Core 2
    CPU are efficient but more expensive than some of the older ones. Good luck,
    keep us informed as to what you do.

    "Mark Adams" wrote in message
    news:4638e9e2$0$16380$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    > I'm dangerously close to ordering these parts to assemble a new system.
    > I'll be recycling my LCD display, keyboard and mouse, but here's what I'm
    > looking at:
    >
    > Motherboard - Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel
    > Motherboard
    >
    > Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model
    > BX80557E6600
    >
    > HSF - www.hitechvendors.com Thermaltake CL-P0372 TMG i2 CPU Cooler For
    > Intel LGA775
    >
    > RAM - Crucial CT2KIT12864AA53E 2 x 1GB
    >
    > Video - EVGA 256 GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
    >
    > HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 400GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    >
    > DVDRW - LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA
    >
    > NIC - LINKSYS WMP54G 32bit PCI2.2 Wireless-G Adapter
    >
    > Case - Cool Master Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower black aluminum bezel
    >
    > Power sup. - COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01
    > 500W Power Supply
    >
    > OS will be Mandriva 2007.1
    >
    > --
    > Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    > http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042
    >
    > CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    > Save yourself! Reboot in 5 seconds!
    >
    > --

  3. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    Hey pestocat.

    I want this rig to be able to browse the web, transfer email, and
    irritate the newsgroups comfortably. I also want it to be the primary
    workstation on my LAN.

    From time to time I do photo editing and I'm taking a look at Blender
    with the idea that I might be doing some animation just to see what it's
    all about.

    I occasionally do word processing/desktop publishing and spreadsheet
    crunching on this machine. I also send faxes occasionally from the
    front end on this machine (typically OOo) and the fax server on my
    server box.

    I'm interested in the new movement toward virtualization and plan to
    install a virtual machine (WinXP) probably this summer just to get a
    feel for that.

    I like music and maintain a fair collection of albums and songs acquired
    over the years, and lately I listen to a lot of podcasts on my personal
    music player. I also find myself doing the odd thing like editing mp3's
    for my daughter's telephone (ringtones), or editing and uploading a
    short video clip of myself dropping juggling props for the benefit of
    another news group. And who knows what goofy idea I'll stumble into
    tomorrow. Incidentally, I want to run the Beryl eye candy just because
    it entertains me.

    As for doing it myself, well there's nothing like rolling your own. :-)
    The CPU needs to hold me for awhile. My laptop is a core 2 duo and it
    screams, at least in comparison to this desktop. The case I ordered has
    a patch panel in front that all the sockets. That's something that I
    actually do miss on my current system -- it's all in the back. The case
    also looks like it will ventilate well. Heat kills a system over time.

    I should have parts gathered up by the end of next week. I'll be sure to
    let you now how it goes.

    Mark

    pestocat wrote:
    > Mark,
    > What are your requirements. What do you want to do with the system. When
    > buying a desktop, I prefer to define the components and go to store I like
    > and that has all the components and let them put it together. I just had a
    > system put together and they only charged $30 without installing the OS. I
    > like Asus MBs. The Intel CPU is a good one. The power supply is good. I
    > choose a case with audio, USB, and Firewire coming out the front. The Core 2
    > CPU are efficient but more expensive than some of the older ones. Good luck,
    > keep us informed as to what you do.
    >

    > "Mark Adams" wrote in message
    > news:4638e9e2$0$16380$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >> I'm dangerously close to ordering these parts to assemble a new system.
    >> I'll be recycling my LCD display, keyboard and mouse, but here's what I'm
    >> looking at:
    >>
    >> Motherboard - Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel
    >> Motherboard
    >>
    >> Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model
    >> BX80557E6600
    >>
    >> HSF - www.hitechvendors.com Thermaltake CL-P0372 TMG i2 CPU Cooler For
    >> Intel LGA775
    >>
    >> RAM - Crucial CT2KIT12864AA53E 2 x 1GB
    >>
    >> Video - EVGA 256 GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
    >>
    >> HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 400GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    >>
    >> DVDRW - LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA
    >>
    >> NIC - LINKSYS WMP54G 32bit PCI2.2 Wireless-G Adapter
    >>
    >> Case - Cool Master Centurion 5 ATX Mid Tower black aluminum bezel
    >>
    >> Power sup. - COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01
    >> 500W Power Supply
    >>
    >> OS will be Mandriva 2007.1
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    >> http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042
    >>
    >> CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    >> Save yourself! Reboot in 5 seconds!
    >>
    >> --

    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    QOTD:
    "It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his
    hands in his own pockets."

  4. Re: Opinions on this collection of parts please?

    On May 6, 1:16 am, a...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) wrote:
    > But there are still many cards you can buy that have free
    > 3D-accelerated drivers, in particular Intel graphics (currently only
    > chipset graphics), and Radeons up to the X850XT. The X850XT is an
    > former high-end card that's now sold at mid-range price.
    >
    > >Obviously good news for the opensource community... but as you mention,
    > >a problem for users with newer equipment....

    > Not necessarily, you can buy, e.g., a new X850XT, or a new motherboard
    > with a 965G or 945G chipset.

    i think 965g has a more advanced graphics chip than 945g.
    it's absolutely crucial to decide early on if you'd go the 850XT route
    or
    the g965 early on though because if 850XT is chosen 975 is a much
    better chipset imho. g965 provides a nice fallback path though.

    > ATI used to be open and provided R200 programming information. That's
    > how we got the R200 driver (and much later the R300 driver, even
    > though ATI had become closed by then). Apparently the sales impact
    > was not big enough for them to stay open. As long as people recommend
    > cards without free drivers without at least cautioning about that
    > lack, that's not going to change.

    it won't change even if all linux users put their ati and nvidia cards
    to trash.
    it's even more true now that ogl support has been dropped from
    windows.
    i think they right way to handle this is to give our (and out
    employers') money
    to intel to work on speeding up the x3000 successor (the chip, not the
    r&d).
    amd and nvidia are just two lost cases

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2