Is it possible to read partial content of a file from a tape? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Is it possible to read partial content of a file from a tape? - Hardware ; Say, I archived a huge file(with avi format) into a tape. If I want to read some partial content of this file from a specific bit offset. How can I achieve that? Or I must read the whole file from ...

  1. Is it possible to read partial content of a file from a tape?

    Say, I archived a huge file(with avi format) into a tape. If I want to
    read some partial content of this file from a specific bit offset. How
    can I achieve that? Or I must read the whole file from tape into disk
    and read the content what I want from the disk file?

  2. Re: Is it possible to read partial content of a file from a tape?

    alex wrote:

    > Say, I archived a huge file(with avi format) into a tape. If I want to
    > read some partial content of this file from a specific bit offset. How
    > can I achieve that? Or I must read the whole file from tape into disk
    > and read the content what I want from the disk file?

    dd seek= bs= count= if=/dev/
    of=

    or use

    mt -d /dev/ fsr

    then read from the same no-rewind device

    or something like that ;->

    Cheers

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread