LAN Port not Recognized at Suse 10.1 Installation - Hardware

This is a discussion on LAN Port not Recognized at Suse 10.1 Installation - Hardware ; I have new system using Asus P5B MB and Suse 10.1 OS. The installation went well except the LAN port was not recognized. The LAN port LEDs show it is connected to 100Mbps port. Asus says the board has a ...

  1. LAN Port not Recognized at Suse 10.1 Installation

    I have new system using Asus P5B MB and Suse 10.1 OS. The installation went
    well except the LAN port was not recognized. The LAN port LEDs show it is
    connected to 100Mbps port. Asus says the board has a RealTek RTL8111B chip.
    The LAN card during installation has RTL8129/8139 on the list. I tried this
    but this does not seem to work. What is my next step.
    Thank You

  2. Re: LAN Port not Recognized at Suse 10.1 Installation

    I demand that pestocat may or may not have written...

    > I have new system using Asus P5B MB and Suse 10.1 OS. The installation went
    > well except the LAN port was not recognized. The LAN port LEDs show it is
    > connected to 100Mbps port. Asus says the board has a RealTek RTL8111B chip.
    > The LAN card during installation has RTL8129/8139 on the list. I tried this
    > but this does not seem to work. What is my next step.

    Assuming that it is an 8111b (lspci will tell you):

    Use the r8169 module, if available.

    If that fails to recognise your 8111b (versions found in 2.6.19 and later,
    and maybe some earlier ones, should), try r1000 - this is Realtek's own
    driver module.

    If r1000 is not present or doesn't recognise your 8111b, you'll need to visit
    Realtek's web site for its source tarball. You'll also need whatever's
    required for kernel module building - kernel source or headers, probably also
    a kernel or kernel module build package; something equivalent to Debian's
    module-assistant package, I should expect.

    OTOH, if it's actually an 8129 or 8139, then either 8139too or (for 8139C,
    IIRC) 8139cp will work.

    There's small choice in rotten apples.

  3. Re: LAN Port not Recognized at Suse 10.1 Installation

    "Darren Salt" wrote in message
    news:4EE160775C%news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.inva lid...
    >I demand that pestocat may or may not have written...
    >
    >> I have new system using Asus P5B MB and Suse 10.1 OS. The installation
    >> went
    >> well except the LAN port was not recognized. The LAN port LEDs show it is
    >> connected to 100Mbps port. Asus says the board has a RealTek RTL8111B
    >> chip.
    >> The LAN card during installation has RTL8129/8139 on the list. I tried
    >> this
    >> but this does not seem to work. What is my next step.

    > Assuming that it is an 8111b (lspci will tell you):
    >
    > Use the r8169 module, if available.
    >
    > If that fails to recognise your 8111b (versions found in 2.6.19 and later,
    > and maybe some earlier ones, should), try r1000 - this is Realtek's own
    > driver module.
    >
    > If r1000 is not present or doesn't recognise your 8111b, you'll need to
    > visit
    > Realtek's web site for its source tarball. You'll also need whatever's
    > required for kernel module building - kernel source or headers, probably
    > also
    > a kernel or kernel module build package; something equivalent to Debian's
    > module-assistant package, I should expect.
    >
    > OTOH, if it's actually an 8129 or 8139, then either 8139too or (for 8139C,
    > IIRC) 8139cp will work.
    >
    > --
    > | Darren Salt | linux or ds at | nr. Ashington, | Toon
    > | RISC OS, Linux | youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
    > | < URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.....packages.html >
    >
    > There's small choice in rotten apples.

    Darren,
    lspci indicates it is 8168. I downloaded the driver from RealTek it is
    r1000_v1.05.tgz, it is the same driver for RTL8111B as the 8168. So now I
    need load the tar ball and then compile.

+ Reply to Thread