HP Pavillion Media Center and Linux - Hardware

This is a discussion on HP Pavillion Media Center and Linux - Hardware ; I just picked up an HP Pavillion M7780N. Tomorrow I will get to start playing it with to integrate it into my lab :-) Anybody have experience with installing (any flavor of) Linux on it? Intel 64 bit Core 2 ...

  1. HP Pavillion Media Center and Linux

    I just picked up an HP Pavillion M7780N. Tomorrow I will get to
    start playing it with to integrate it into my lab :-) Anybody have
    experience with installing (any flavor of) Linux on it?

    Intel 64 bit Core 2 Duo Processor
    2 gigs memory
    500 gig harddrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600
    TV Tuner

    I did a couple of searches; while I found info on several Pavillion
    models, I didnt find
    anything on this one.

    thanks,
    kenny

  2. Re: HP Pavillion Media Center and Linux

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:14:08 -0700, kenbo wrote:

    > I just picked up an HP Pavillion M7780N. Tomorrow I will get to start
    > playing it with to integrate it into my lab :-) Anybody have
    > experience with installing (any flavor of) Linux on it?
    >
    > Intel 64 bit Core 2 Duo Processor
    > 2 gigs memory
    > 500 gig harddrive
    > NVIDIA GeForce 7600
    > TV Tuner
    >
    > I did a couple of searches; while I found info on several Pavillion
    > models, I didnt find
    > anything on this one.
    >
    > thanks,
    > kenny

    Use an up to date distro and you shouldn't have any trouble. Chances are
    it uses an Intel 965 chipset which works fine in 2.6.19 and higher
    kernels. If you use Feisty it will work right out of the box. If you use
    FC6 you might have to install a new kernel to get the networking working,
    if you have an old PCI ethernet card laying around you can put that in
    temporarily so that you can get the FC6 updates which will put it at
    2.6.20. If you don't have an old ethernet card you can us a CD or a FLASH
    key to put the 2.6.20 kernel on it.

+ Reply to Thread