ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2 - Hardware

This is a discussion on ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2 - Hardware ; This will be my first PC build. I have read the reviews on Newegg and did some research showing that Ubuntu 6.x and Fedora Core 6 have been used with this motherboard. I'm not particularly fond of the hardware compatibility ...

  1. ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    This will be my first PC build. I have read the reviews on Newegg and
    did some research showing that Ubuntu 6.x and Fedora Core 6 have been
    used with this motherboard. I'm not particularly fond of the hardware
    compatibility lists on the openSUSE and Novell web sites. I'm thinking
    about buying this board, but before I do, is there anyone running
    openSUSE 10.2 using this motherboard?

  2. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    Jeff wrote:

    > This will be my first PC build. I have read the reviews on Newegg and
    > did some research showing that Ubuntu 6.x and Fedora Core 6 have been
    > used with this motherboard. I'm not particularly fond of the hardware
    > compatibility lists on the openSUSE and Novell web sites. I'm thinking
    > about buying this board, but before I do, is there anyone running
    > openSUSE 10.2 using this motherboard?

    i use a m2n-sli with opensuse10.2 with no problems

  3. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    Jeff wrote:

    > This will be my first PC build. I have read the reviews on Newegg and
    > did some research showing that Ubuntu 6.x and Fedora Core 6 have been
    > used with this motherboard. I'm not particularly fond of the hardware
    > compatibility lists on the openSUSE and Novell web sites. I'm thinking
    > about buying this board, but before I do, is there anyone running
    > openSUSE 10.2 using this motherboard?

    I'm using an M2N-SLI board here with Debian. The M2N-E is very similar,
    except that the number of PCIE-lanes provided by the chipset is smaller.
    IIRC, the M2N-E uses the NForce550, whereas the -SLI version uses the -570.
    (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

    The chipset is supported fine (SATA, Networking, sound work), however at
    least for the M2N-SLI board, ASUS broke the bios for later versions when
    fixing the bootstrap from network option. My older version works fine, but
    would probably not boot an operating system from the built-in network
    adapter (a feature I don't need). The later bios versions could be made
    to work by, IIRC, the noapic option.

    I do not know whether this issue exists with the M2N-E or has been
    sufficiently worked around by later kernel versions.

    Otherwise, the M2N-SLI is a pretty stable and solid board, I would
    recommend it. I've also seen posts of a lot of users that have been
    disappointed by other vendors (in this specific case, MSI, which had
    an issue with their AMD64 board series) that switched to the Asus
    board and reported it to work just fine.

    So long,
    Thomas

  4. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    Jeff wrote:

    > This will be my first PC build. I have read the reviews on Newegg and
    > did some research showing that Ubuntu 6.x and Fedora Core 6 have been
    > used with this motherboard. I'm not particularly fond of the hardware
    > compatibility lists on the openSUSE and Novell web sites. I'm thinking
    > about buying this board, but before I do, is there anyone running
    > openSUSE 10.2 using this motherboard?

    Be sure to buy appropriate RAM. The motherboard only supplies memory
    with up to 1.95V max. It's possibly my own fault, but with a stick
    of generic RAM and Mandriva mine is not quite stable.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  5. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    On Apr 27, 10:24 pm, Jeff wrote:
    > This will be my first PC build. I have read the reviews on Newegg and
    > did some research showing that Ubuntu 6.x and Fedora Core 6 have been
    > used with this motherboard. I'm not particularly fond of the hardware
    > compatibility lists on the openSUSE and Novell web sites. I'm thinking
    > about buying this board, but before I do, is there anyone running
    > openSUSE 10.2 using this motherboard?

    I appreciate the responses received about this question. I've decided
    to go with the ASUS M2N-SLI board. I have also gone to the Crucial,
    Kingston, Super Talent, and Corsair web sites to do a search for the
    appropriate RAM needed for this board.

    Thanks again

  6. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    Jeff wrote:

    > On Apr 27, 10:24 pm, Jeff wrote:
    >> This will be my first PC build. I have read the reviews on Newegg and
    >> did some research showing that Ubuntu 6.x and Fedora Core 6 have been
    >> used with this motherboard. I'm not particularly fond of the hardware
    >> compatibility lists on the openSUSE and Novell web sites. I'm thinking
    >> about buying this board, but before I do, is there anyone running
    >> openSUSE 10.2 using this motherboard?

    > I appreciate the responses received about this question. I've decided
    > to go with the ASUS M2N-SLI board. I have also gone to the Crucial,
    > Kingston, Super Talent, and Corsair web sites to do a search for the
    > appropriate RAM needed for this board.
    >
    > Thanks again

    if you want i van give you a list of ram but it does not make any difference
    i used ram that was not in the list and pc works fine

  7. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:47:19 +0200, Ingo wrote:

    > I got a pait of 2x1GB Kingston value RAM with ECC, PC677 which runs fine
    > here on my M2N-E and an Athlon 64 4200+X2 under openSUSE 10.2 and Ubuntu
    > 7.04.
    >
    > The only thing I miss is a possibility to monitor CPU-temperature. But
    > if I recall well, this is a general problem with ASUS board, becaus they
    > do not use standard LM-sensors, but their proprietary chip?
    >
    > Does anybody have an idea how to monitor temperature?
    > (also fan speed is just reported as on/off)

    I have M2NE and amd64x2 4200 and Ubuntu 7.04 with 2.6.20-16-generic

    I can monitor CPU with the k8temp module. Have you run sensors-detect?

    - Richard.
    --
    http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

  8. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    Richard Kimber schrieb:
    > On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:47:19 +0200, Ingo wrote:
    >
    >> I got a pait of 2x1GB Kingston value RAM with ECC, PC677 which runs fine
    >> here on my M2N-E and an Athlon 64 4200+X2 under openSUSE 10.2 and Ubuntu
    >> 7.04.
    >>
    >> The only thing I miss is a possibility to monitor CPU-temperature. But
    >> if I recall well, this is a general problem with ASUS board, becaus they
    >> do not use standard LM-sensors, but their proprietary chip?
    >>
    >> Does anybody have an idea how to monitor temperature?
    >> (also fan speed is just reported as on/off)

    > I have M2NE and amd64x2 4200 and Ubuntu 7.04 with 2.6.20-16-generic
    >
    > I can monitor CPU with the k8temp module. Have you run sensors-detect?
    >
    > - Richard.

    Probably I am doing something wrong. On Ubuntu 7.04, same as you.
    I ran sensors-detect, the sensor is recognized and I loaded k8temp
    manually with modprobe (confirmed wizh lsmod). I installed the Desktop
    applets (desklets) for lm_sensors but had to see that
    CPU-temperature is 'fixed' showing constantly 40°C. In the properties
    of the applet it mentions that it is using modules
    powernow_k8 for frequency and
    powernow_k8 for thermal
    there is no possibility to switch to k8term. Is there any dedicated
    application/tool which is using k8term?

    BTW: I realized and was astonished, that as a normal user I am allowed
    to load a module (k8temp), isn't that a security risk?

    On openSUSE 10.2 the module k8temp is not available, kernel 2.6.18.8 and
    homepage for lm_sensors tells me that it is usable only with later
    kernels, so there seems to be no solution:-(

    Ingo

  9. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    Ingo schrieb:
    > Richard Kimber schrieb:
    >> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:47:19 +0200, Ingo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I got a pait of 2x1GB Kingston value RAM with ECC, PC677 which runs fine
    >>> here on my M2N-E and an Athlon 64 4200+X2 under openSUSE 10.2 and Ubuntu
    >>> 7.04.
    >>>
    >>> The only thing I miss is a possibility to monitor CPU-temperature. But
    >>> if I recall well, this is a general problem with ASUS board, becaus they
    >>> do not use standard LM-sensors, but their proprietary chip?
    >>>
    >>> Does anybody have an idea how to monitor temperature?
    >>> (also fan speed is just reported as on/off)

    >> I have M2NE and amd64x2 4200 and Ubuntu 7.04 with 2.6.20-16-generic
    >>
    >> I can monitor CPU with the k8temp module. Have you run sensors-detect?
    >>
    >> - Richard.

    > Probably I am doing something wrong. On Ubuntu 7.04, same as you.
    > I ran sensors-detect, the sensor is recognized and I loaded k8temp
    > manually with modprobe (confirmed wizh lsmod). I installed the Desktop
    > applets (desklets) for lm_sensors but had to see that
    > CPU-temperature is 'fixed' showing constantly 40°C. In the properties
    > of the applet it mentions that it is using modules
    > powernow_k8 for frequency and
    > powernow_k8 for thermal
    > there is no possibility to switch to k8term. Is there any dedicated
    > application/tool which is using k8term?
    >
    > BTW: I realized and was astonished, that as a normal user I am allowed
    > to load a module (k8temp), isn't that a security risk?
    >

    > On openSUSE 10.2 the module k8temp is not available, kernel 2.6.18.8 and
    > homepage for lm_sensors tells me that it is usable only with later
    > kernels, so there seems to be no solution:-(
    >
    > Ingo

    Finally I at least could confirm that hardware works:
    output from 'sensors' in a terminal under Ubuntu 7.04 64-bit gives:

    ingo@pp:~$ sensors
    k8temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Core0 Temp:
    +16°C
    Core1 Temp:
    +31°C

    it8716-isa-0290
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    VCore: +0.99 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
    VDDR: +3.20 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
    +3.3V: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
    +5V: +4.81 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +6.85 V)
    +12V: +11.65 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +16.32 V)
    in5: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
    in6: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
    5VSB: +4.84 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +6.85 V)
    VBat: +2.96 V
    CPU Fan: 492 RPM (min = 399 RPM)
    Case Fan: 704 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
    PWR Fan: 908 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
    CPU Temp: +31°C (low = -1°C, high = +60°C) sensor = diode
    M/B Temp: +36°C (low = -1°C, high = +50°C) sensor =
    thermistor
    vid: +1.100 V

    ingo@pp:~$

    So, sensors are detected correctly and report reasonable values which I
    could assign by comparing with BIOS-values.

    gkrellm is only displaying the output of the 'Super I/O Chip' (module it87).

    I am now searching for a applet which uses the k8temp output which seems
    to be the most reliable way as it reads the temperature directly from
    CPU. Any ideas?

    Best regards and thanks,
    Ingo

  10. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:14:12 +0200, Ingo wrote:

    > On openSUSE 10.2 the module k8temp is not available, kernel 2.6.18.8 and
    > homepage for lm_sensors tells me that it is usable only with later
    > kernels, so there seems to be no solution:-(
    >
    > Ingo

    I am using 2.6.20-16-generic

    So it's likely that a newer kernel will solve things.

    You say that CPU-temperature is 'fixed' showing constantly 40°C. On my
    system I get a similar issue, but it is reported as THRM 'Thermal zone'
    It remains constant, and I'm not sure what it relates to.

    Sensors tells me I have

    Core0 Temp: 39.00 (temp1)
    Core1 Temp: 39.00 (temp3)

    But I also have

    temp2: 35.00 (temp2)

    which I take to be the motherboard temperature.

    Incidentally, a recent kernel upgrade caused my temperature readings to
    drop significantly.

    Using Boinc on both processors, the CPU temperature has dropped from
    around 53C to around 38C (idle is about 28C).

    I have no idea whether this is a real temperature drop (I hope so), or
    some sensors configuration issue, or a bug. The CPU fan revs (which I
    assume don't depend on k8temp, but I may be wrong about this - it's a
    guess) seem to be consistent with a real effect. The bios adjusts fan
    revs according to temperature. Currently, it's about 1680. With a hot
    CPU I'd expect around 2500. On a subjective level, the air coming out of
    the machine has a cooling effect on my hand and the case is not warm.

    - Richard
    --
    http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

  11. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    Richard Kimber schrieb:
    > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:14:12 +0200, Ingo wrote:
    >
    >> On openSUSE 10.2 the module k8temp is not available, kernel 2.6.18.8 and
    >> homepage for lm_sensors tells me that it is usable only with later
    >> kernels, so there seems to be no solution:-(
    >>
    >> Ingo

    > I am using 2.6.20-16-generic
    >
    > So it's likely that a newer kernel will solve things.

    Yes, with Ubuntu 7.04 Kernel 2.6.20-16-generic the same as you I got it
    work., see my previous post in this thread. With openSUSE I have filed a
    kernel bug, especially consideruing that the distribution comes with the
    very same version of lm_sensors as Ubuntu.

    > You say that CPU-temperature is 'fixed' showing constantly 40°C. On my
    > system I get a similar issue, but it is reported as THRM 'Thermal zone'
    > It remains constant, and I'm not sure what it relates to.

    Yes that#s right THRM 'Thermal zone' is obtained via ACPI and it is the
    same under Ubuntu. Maybe caused by buggy ACPI-tables in the BIOS of the MB?

    > Sensors tells me I have
    >
    > Core0 Temp: 39.00 (temp1)
    > Core1 Temp: 39.00 (temp3)

    as mentioned before, under Ubuntu I get those 'core-temperatures' as
    well. They are read via k8temp directly from the CPU which provides the
    readings already digital coded. This is said to be the most accurate way
    to read CPU-temperature. However my CPU (Athlon64 X2 4200+ EE) reports
    drastically different values for the two cores - I am further digging to
    find explanation/solution.

    > But I also have
    >
    > temp2: 35.00 (temp2)
    >
    > which I take to be the motherboard temperature.

    That is correct. In my previous posting I had already edited my
    sensors.conf and (after multiple confirmation and check the BIOS-values)
    assigned:

    temp1 -> CPU
    temp2 -> Motherboard

    Same with the fans, where fan1=CPU, fan2=case, fan3=Powersupply (using
    the according header to connect my Enermax Liberty.

    But please note: these values are read by the in8716 Super I/O Chip.
    This chip also reads the diode in the CPU, but in contrary to k8temp
    relies on the external analog measurement of resistance.
    Within 1 or 2 degrees the values 'core1' and 'temp1'=CPU do match, so I
    am pretty sure they are correct.

    > Incidentally, a recent kernel upgrade caused my temperature readings to
    > drop significantly.
    >
    > Using Boinc on both processors, the CPU temperature has dropped from
    > around 53C to around 38C (idle is about 28C).

    Which value? that one read via k8temp or the one read via in87?
    Here I get a maximum of 51°C when running 'burnK7' twice to keep both
    cores busy.

    > I have no idea whether this is a real temperature drop (I hope so), or
    > some sensors configuration issue, or a bug. The CPU fan revs (which I
    > assume don't depend on k8temp, but I may be wrong about this - it's a
    > guess) seem to be consistent with a real effect. The bios adjusts fan
    > revs according to temperature. Currently, it's about 1680. With a hot
    > CPU I'd expect around 2500. On a subjective level, the air coming out of
    > the machine has a cooling effect on my hand and the case is not warm.

    Yes, I confirm: the Fan-control of the M2N-E is perfect. My CPU-fan
    runs at roughly 500 rpm when desktop idle and CPU-frequency is lowered
    to 1,0 GHz. It raises to 1400rpm when CPU is fully busy at 2,2 GHz.

    Best regards,
    Ingo

    > - Richard

  12. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:03:35 +0200, Ingo wrote:

    >> Using Boinc on both processors, the CPU temperature has dropped from
    >> around 53C to around 38C (idle is about 28C).

    > Which value? that one read via k8temp or the one read via in87?

    k8temp, according to sensors. Actually, it says:

    k8temp-i2c--5-c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter

    > Here I get a maximum of 51°C when running 'burnK7' twice to keep both
    > cores busy.

    That's odd, given that we have similar hardware and the same software.

    The change happened when I upgraded the kernel the time before last - i.e.
    the effect has survived a further kernel upgrade.

    - Richard.
    --
    http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

  13. Re: ASUS M2N-E mobo and openSUSE 10.2

    Richard Kimber schrieb:
    > On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:03:35 +0200, Ingo wrote:
    >
    >>> Using Boinc on both processors, the CPU temperature has dropped from
    >>> around 53C to around 38C (idle is about 28C).

    >> Which value? that one read via k8temp or the one read via in87?

    > k8temp, according to sensors. Actually, it says:
    >
    > k8temp-i2c--5-c3
    > Adapter: PCI adapter

    That is absolutely correct, same here.

    >> Here I get a maximum of 51°C when running 'burnK7' twice to keep both
    >> cores busy.

    > That's odd, given that we have similar hardware and the same software.

    I do consider the 50°C obtained from the it87 ISA-port 290 quite
    realistic. I searched the web to learn more about the precision of such
    readings anf found that also the Win$-Tools have got the same problem
    reporting the temperature digitally direct from the CPU. This seems to
    be an issuo also of the am64x2 design that both cores (like k8temp)
    report contradicting or unrealistic values.
    50°C under full load is still an excellent value, the CPU, depending on
    type are rated at 65 - 72°C max.
    So, trust the ASUS fan regulation, it does a perfect job on the M2N-E
    and without interaction of the CPU you should be on the safe side when
    using a cooler with 4-pin jack to make use of the PWM-feature.

    Ingo

    > The change happened when I upgraded the kernel the time before last - i.e.
    > the effect has survived a further kernel upgrade.

    Maybe, the programmers for Linux also do not know (like the Win$-tools)
    how to obtain correct values;-)

+ Reply to Thread