How About the ASUS Motherboards for Linux - Hardware

This is a discussion on How About the ASUS Motherboards for Linux - Hardware ; The last few days I visited the Intel, Asus, and several other sites in order to develop a list of components for a new Linux box. I've had good luck with Asus boards with Windows OS and so decided with ...

  1. How About the ASUS Motherboards for Linux

    The last few days I visited the Intel, Asus, and several other sites in
    order to develop a list of components for a new Linux box. I've had good
    luck with Asus boards with Windows OS and so decided with a P5B motherboard,
    an Intel Pentium D, 935 (3.2 GHz, 2x2MB) CPU, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, and SATA
    Harddrive and SATA CD/DVD drive. And a 500 watt PS. There will be no need
    for anything special on the graphics card. How does look?
    Thank You

  2. Re: How About the ASUS Motherboards for Linux

    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:27:57 -0700, pestocat wrote:

    > The last few days I visited the Intel, Asus, and several other sites in
    > order to develop a list of components for a new Linux box. I've had good
    > luck with Asus boards with Windows OS and so decided with a P5B
    > motherboard, an Intel Pentium D, 935 (3.2 GHz, 2x2MB) CPU, 2 GB DDR2
    > RAM, and SATA Harddrive and SATA CD/DVD drive. And a 500 watt PS. There
    > will be no need for anything special on the graphics card. How does
    > look? Thank You

    Wrong CPU, the Pentium D is obsolete, get a Core2. Check the customer
    reviews on Newegg for the motherboards that you might be interested in.
    Search for Linux in the customer comments.

  3. Re: How About the ASUS Motherboards for Linux

    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:27:57 -0700, pestocat wrote:

    > The last few days I visited the Intel, Asus, and several other sites in
    > order to develop a list of components for a new Linux box. I've had good
    > luck with Asus boards with Windows OS and so decided with a P5B motherboard,
    > an Intel Pentium D, 935 (3.2 GHz, 2x2MB) CPU, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, and SATA
    > Harddrive and SATA CD/DVD drive. And a 500 watt PS. There will be no need
    > for anything special on the graphics card. How does look?
    > Thank You

    PC:

    I understand the P-D ... since Core-duo mobos are expensive. But then,
    whynot stay with a legacy IDE HD and cheaper ram? Then, especially check
    the NewEgg reviews ... for Linux comments on mobos. A 2-year-old mobo will
    be supported, but not necessarily a 6-mo-old mobo.

    nss
    *****

  4. Re: How About the ASUS Motherboards for Linux

    "noshellswill" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.04.28.00.32.38.89753@gmail.com...
    > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:27:57 -0700, pestocat wrote:
    >
    >> The last few days I visited the Intel, Asus, and several other sites in
    >> order to develop a list of components for a new Linux box. I've had good
    >> luck with Asus boards with Windows OS and so decided with a P5B
    >> motherboard,
    >> an Intel Pentium D, 935 (3.2 GHz, 2x2MB) CPU, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, and SATA
    >> Harddrive and SATA CD/DVD drive. And a 500 watt PS. There will be no need
    >> for anything special on the graphics card. How does look?
    >> Thank You

    > PC:
    >
    > I understand the P-D ... since Core-duo mobos are expensive. But then,
    > whynot stay with a legacy IDE HD and cheaper ram? Then, especially check
    > the NewEgg reviews ... for Linux comments on mobos. A 2-year-old mobo will
    > be supported, but not necessarily a 6-mo-old mobo.
    >
    > nss
    > *****

    With the Asus P5B, you don't want to use IDE drives. There is only one IDE
    I/O. But 6 SATA I/Os. The RAM requires DDR2 memory. I guess that's the
    direction these days. SATA drives are in now. The shop that is putting the
    computer together also mentioned to not get the latest board for a Linux OS.

  5. Re: How About the ASUS Motherboards for Linux

    "pestocat" wrote in message
    > The last few days I visited the Intel, Asus, and several other sites in
    > order to develop a list of components for a new Linux box. I've had good
    > luck with Asus boards with Windows OS and so decided with a P5B
    > motherboard, an Intel Pentium D, 935 (3.2 GHz, 2x2MB) CPU, 2 GB DDR2 RAM,
    > and SATA Harddrive and SATA CD/DVD drive. And a 500 watt PS. There will be
    > no need for anything special on the graphics card. How does look?
    > Thank You

    I picked up the system this Monday and installed Suse 10.1 ( I purchased
    this last August, as you know 10.2 is out now) or Linux 2.6.16. I installed
    using the DVD and the process is very fast compared to using the CDs. The
    only problem I had was that the on-board LAN controller was not recognized.
    The MB wants a driver for RealTek RTL8111B. Someone mentioned that this
    driver is in versions 2.6.19 or later. I was going to try to compile the
    driver I downloaded from RealTek but then I just added a Netgear LAN card
    and it was immediately recognized. Then I had a network connection. The P5B
    motherboard with Intel Pentium D 935 CPU looks very good and very fast too.
    I like the Gnome interface.

+ Reply to Thread