PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port - Hardware

This is a discussion on PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port - Hardware ; PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port I recently installed Fedora Core 6, and I cannot get my PCI modem to work. It is _not_ a winmodem and did work on a machine running RedHat 7.2. The output of "/sbin/lspci -vv " looks good: ...

  1. PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port

    PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port

    I recently installed Fedora Core 6, and I cannot
    get my PCI modem to work. It is _not_ a winmodem
    and did work on a machine running RedHat 7.2.

    The output of "/sbin/lspci -vv " looks good:

    01:08.0 Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model
    5610 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
    Subsystem: 3Com Corp, Modem Division Unknown device 00d3
    Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
    Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

    but I can't find the device file in /dev that corresponds
    to the modem (and perhaps there is not one). Below is are
    the results of "setserial":

    # setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
    Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument

    # setserial -a /dev/ttyS1
    /dev/ttyS1: No such device or address

    # setserial -a /dev/ttyS2
    /dev/ttyS2: No such device or address

    # setserial -a /dev/ttyS3
    /dev/ttyS3: No such device or address

    I have been reading David Lawyer's Modem-HOWTO, but
    I am stumped. Can anyone help?

    For completeness, here are the lines with the word
    "serial" that are written to /var/log/messages on boot.

    Apr 25 22:32:54 localhost kernel: Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision:
    1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
    Apr 25 22:32:54 localhost kernel: 8250_pci: Unknown symbol
    serial8250_unregister_port
    Apr 25 22:32:54 localhost kernel: 8250_pci: Unknown symbol
    serial8250_resume_port
    Apr 25 22:32:54 localhost kernel: 8250_pci: Unknown symbol
    serial8250_register_port
    Apr 25 22:32:54 localhost kernel: 8250_pci: Unknown symbol
    serial8250_suspend_port

    Thank you in advance;

  2. Re: PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port

    Ivan K wrote:

    > PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port
    >
    > I recently installed Fedora Core 6, and I cannot
    > get my PCI modem to work. It is _not_ a winmodem
    > and did work on a machine running RedHat 7.2.
    >
    > The output of "/sbin/lspci -vv " looks good:
    >
    > 01:08.0 Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model
    > 5610 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
    > Subsystem: 3Com Corp, Modem Division Unknown device 00d3
    > Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
    > Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
    >
    > but I can't find the device file in /dev that corresponds
    > to the modem (and perhaps there is not one). Below is are
    > the results of "setserial":
    >
    > # setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
    > Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument

    Have you tried manually setting up the serial port according to the info
    form lspci? It looks to me like you could use:

    setserial /dev/ttyS0 port 0xa800 irq 11 uart 16550

    Do you have on-board serial ports too? In that case, those might be
    ttyS0 and ttyS1, making your internal modem ttyS2.

  3. Re: PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port

    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:21:55 -0500, Ivan K wrote:

    > PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port
    >
    > I recently installed Fedora Core 6, and I cannot get my PCI modem to
    > work. It is _not_ a winmodem and did work on a machine running RedHat
    > 7.2.
    >
    > The output of "/sbin/lspci -vv " looks good:
    >
    > 01:08.0 Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model
    > 5610 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
    > Subsystem: 3Com Corp, Modem Division Unknown device 00d3 Control:
    > I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
    > Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
    >
    > but I can't find the device file in /dev that corresponds to the modem
    > (and perhaps there is not one). Below is are the results of
    > "setserial":
    >
    > # setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
    > Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument
    >
    > # setserial -a /dev/ttyS1
    > /dev/ttyS1: No such device or address
    >
    > # setserial -a /dev/ttyS2
    > /dev/ttyS2: No such device or address
    >
    > # setserial -a /dev/ttyS3
    > /dev/ttyS3: No such device or address
    >
    > I have been reading David Lawyer's Modem-HOWTO, but I am stumped. Can
    > anyone help?
    >
    > For completeness, here are the lines with the word "serial" that are
    > written to /var/log/messages on boot.
    >
    > Apr 25 22:32:54 localhost kernel: Serial: 8250/16550 driver
    > $Revision:
    > 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
    > Apr 25 22:32:54 localhost kernel: 8250_pci: Unknown symbol
    > serial8250_unregister_port
    > Apr 25 22:32:54 localhost kernel: 8250_pci: Unknown symbol
    > serial8250_resume_port
    > Apr 25 22:32:54 localhost kernel: 8250_pci: Unknown symbol
    > serial8250_register_port
    > Apr 25 22:32:54 localhost kernel: 8250_pci: Unknown symbol
    > serial8250_suspend_port
    >
    > Thank you in advance;

    Search for 'tty' instead. There will be a line with your modem's PCI ID.
    However, you have another problem - your serial driver appears not to
    work. What motherboard chipset is this? In any event, you need to get
    this fixed before you could proceed any further.

    --
    Vladimir

  4. Re: PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port

    "John-Paul Stewart" wrote in message
    > Ivan K wrote:
    >>
    >> PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port
    >>
    >> I recently installed Fedora Core 6, and I cannot
    >> get my PCI modem to work. It is _not_ a winmodem
    >> and did work on a machine running RedHat 7.2.
    >>
    >> The output of "/sbin/lspci -vv " looks good:
    >>
    >> 01:08.0 Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model
    >> 5610 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
    >> Subsystem: 3Com Corp, Modem Division Unknown device 00d3
    >> Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
    >> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
    >>
    >> but I can't find the device file in /dev that corresponds
    >> to the modem (and perhaps there is not one). Below is are
    >> the results of "setserial":
    >>
    >> # setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
    >> Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument

    > Have you tried manually setting up the serial port according to the info
    > form lspci? It looks to me like you could use:
    >
    > setserial /dev/ttyS0 port 0xa800 irq 11 uart 16550
    >
    > Do you have on-board serial ports too? In that case, those might be ttyS0
    > and ttyS1, making your internal modem ttyS2.

    bingo. ttyS0 on my machines is always the external serial port.

    sometimes the hardware detection figures things out, and links /dev/modem to
    /dev/ttyS0. i don't use Redhat or PCI modems.

    has the OP tried dmesg?

  5. Re: PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port

    I recently installed Fedora Core 6, and I cannot
    get my PCI modem to work. It is _not_ a winmodem
    and did work on a machine running RedHat 7.2.
    The output of "/sbin/lspci -vv " looks good:
    01:08.0 Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model
    5610 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])

    Did you look at usr's website to see if it has an rpm for your type of
    modem?

    Unless you need the onboard serial ports, I would disable them and map
    the modem to COM1. It might make the process a little easier.

    later,
    charles.....

  6. Re: PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port

    Vladimir Florinski wrote:
    >Search for 'tty' instead. There will be a line with your modem's PCI ID.

    You are suggesting I try to find a valid a tty device instead of
    ttyS device?

    > However, you have another problem - your serial driver appears not to
    > work. What motherboard chipset is this?

    It is an ASUS M2N-E motherboard.
    The Chipset is an NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP.

    > In any event, you need to get
    > this fixed before you could proceed any further.

    How might I go about getting the serial driver to
    work?

    Thanks!!

  7. Re: PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:47:05 -0500, Ivan K wrote:

    > Vladimir Florinski wrote:
    >>Search for 'tty' instead. There will be a line with your modem's PCI ID.

    > You are suggesting I try to find a valid a tty device instead of ttyS
    > device?

    No, I suggested you do exactly what I said. Like this: 'dmesg | grep
    tty'. And post the output.

    >> However, you have another problem - your serial driver appears not to
    >> work. What motherboard chipset is this?

    > It is an ASUS M2N-E motherboard.
    > The Chipset is an NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP.
    >
    >> In any event, you need to get
    >> this fixed before you could proceed any further.

    > How might I go about getting the serial driver to work?

    Well, since these errors are most likely due to a kernel bug, I suggest
    upgrading the kernel to the most recent Fedora version (and apply all
    other updates as well). I hope you have a faster internet connection than
    that modem - the updates will probably be a couple of gigabytes if not
    more. What is the output of 'uname -a'?

    --
    Vladimir

  8. Re: PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    , Vladimir Florinski wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:47:05 -0500, Ivan K wrote:
    >
    >> Vladimir Florinski wrote:
    >>>Search for 'tty' instead. There will be a line with your modem's PCI ID.

    >> You are suggesting I try to find a valid a tty device instead of ttyS
    >> device?

    Another place to look is the /var/log/messages file, and search through
    the boot messages for the serial driver. Yes that 3CP5610 should work
    like a champ, but only if the kernel can find the darn thing. I'm not
    using Fedora, but on your old RH7.2 box, you would have seen

    Aug 21 16:23:27 Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS
    SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled
    Aug 21 16:23:27 ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    Aug 21 16:23:27 ttyS1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
    Aug 21 16:23:27 ttyS2 at 0xddf0 (irq = 11) is a 16550A

    >No, I suggested you do exactly what I said. Like this: 'dmesg | grep
    >tty'. And post the output.

    [compton ~]$ whatis dmesg
    dmesg (8) - print or control the kernel ring buffer
    [compton ~]$

    which shows the _current_ contents of the ring buffer. As what you are
    looking for is what is happening at boot time, you might take a hint
    from the system initialization scripts - the bottom of rc.sysinit on
    Red Hat derived boxes at least used to say

    # Now that we have all of our basic modules loaded and the kernel going,
    # let's dump the syslog ring somewhere so we can find it later
    dmesg > /var/log/dmesg

    and thus, /var/log/dmesg should have the ring buffer at the point where
    the serial driver should be loaded, etc.

    >I hope you have a faster internet connection than that modem - the
    >updates will probably be a couple of gigabytes if not more. What is the
    >output of 'uname -a'?

    [compton ~]$ grep -c rpm fc6-updates.04.28.07
    1290
    [compton ~]$ awk '{ total +=$5 } ; END { print total }' fc6-updates.04.28.07
    4.47867e+09
    [compton ~]$

    4.5 Gigs - but the fine print says you don't need anywhere near all of
    that. In fact, the 39 'kde-i18n' packages alone total 290 Megs, while
    updates for openoffice (219 packages totalling 2.07 Gigs) dwarfs that.
    The latest kernel on the updates server is kernel-2.6.20-1.2944 dated
    13 April.

    Old guy

  9. Re: PCI modem/Linux/Serial Port

    Thanks to everyone who volunteered their time
    to help me out.

    I solved the problem by re-installing
    Fedora Core 6, this time, without choosing
    the "Virtualization" package, whatever that is.
    On a custom install, under packages to choose,
    is listed something called "Virtualization".
    I thought 'why not, I'll install the software
    and see what it is' but apparently, when
    you choose to install this package, the
    "xen" kernel is installed rather
    than the "normal" kernel. And according
    to the archives of the Fedora mailing list,
    serial ports don't work with the "xen"
    kernel.

    I think the Fedora installer should have
    been clearer.

    Thanks again.

    Vladimir Florinski wrote:
    > Well, since these errors are most likely due to a kernel bug, I suggest
    > upgrading the kernel to the most recent Fedora version (and apply all
    > other updates as well). I hope you have a faster internet connection than
    > that modem - the updates will probably be a couple of gigabytes if not
    > more. What is the output of 'uname -a'?

+ Reply to Thread