Hi folks,

does anyone have a clue about the following problem (appears on a
Debian etch, with the kernel updated to 2.6.20.6):

I cannot get the WLAN network running, activating the network
with DHCP and the network gadget fails, it says the "network
settings" are incorrect. Specifically:

I've the following in /etc/network/interfaces:

iface wlan0 inet static
wireless-essid meetingroom
address 172.28.172.228
netmask 255.255.252.0
gateway 172.28.172.1

that should launch the network during bootstrap. Doesn't do that, but
the settings are fine (see below, they do work if "kicked" manually.)

If I use the gnome network gadget to launch the wlan manually, it
still says that the settings are incorrect. However, iwconfig gives
me a connection:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"meetingroom" Nickname:"Prism I"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:15:F9:09:B40
Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
Retry limit:8 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff
Link Quality=76/92 Signal level=-7 dBm Noise level=-140 dBm

so the problem doesn't seem to be on this side. ifconfig gives nothing
except the loopback.

Ok, so shut the interface down:

moses-ma001:/home/thor# ifdown wlan0
ifdown: interface wlan0 not configured

Ok, so it's not configured. So start it up again instead:

moses-ma001:/home/thor# ifup wlan0
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Input/output error
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Input/output error
Failed to bring up wlan0.

What does SIOCSIFFLAGS mean? Which input/output error?

Ok, now if I do the following:

/etc/init.d/networking stop
rmmod orinoco_pci
rmmod orinoco
rmmod hermes
sleep 10
modprobe hermes
modprobe orinoco
modprobe orinoco_pci
/etc/init.d/networking start

then the network is up and running happily. Why doesn't the network
init do this by itself? And what is it doing differently from what
I did manually?

If I want to use the DHCP (yes, a DHCP server is running), nothing
goes. So what's that?

The hardware is an oldish IBM R32, using the orinico/hermes modules
(see above). Everything else works fine on windows.

It is *not* a local network problem - I'm required to use the WLAN
here in a hotel, but the same problem appeared by now in *any* other
network I had to use.

For completion, this is a debian etch, but the same problem happened
already under an oldish Suse 9.3.

So long,
Thomas