Hi folks,

does anyone have a clue about the following problem (appears on a
Debian etch, with the kernel updated to

I cannot get the WLAN network running, activating the network
with DHCP and the network gadget fails, it says the "network
settings" are incorrect. Specifically:

I've the following in /etc/network/interfaces:

iface wlan0 inet static
wireless-essid meetingroom

that should launch the network during bootstrap. Doesn't do that, but
the settings are fine (see below, they do work if "kicked" manually.)

If I use the gnome network gadget to launch the wlan manually, it
still says that the settings are incorrect. However, iwconfig gives
me a connection:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"meetingroom" Nickname:"Prism I"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:15:F9:09:B40
Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
Retry limit:8 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff
Link Quality=76/92 Signal level=-7 dBm Noise level=-140 dBm

so the problem doesn't seem to be on this side. ifconfig gives nothing
except the loopback.

Ok, so shut the interface down:

moses-ma001:/home/thor# ifdown wlan0
ifdown: interface wlan0 not configured

Ok, so it's not configured. So start it up again instead:

moses-ma001:/home/thor# ifup wlan0
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Input/output error
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Input/output error
Failed to bring up wlan0.

What does SIOCSIFFLAGS mean? Which input/output error?

Ok, now if I do the following:

/etc/init.d/networking stop
rmmod orinoco_pci
rmmod orinoco
rmmod hermes
sleep 10
modprobe hermes
modprobe orinoco
modprobe orinoco_pci
/etc/init.d/networking start

then the network is up and running happily. Why doesn't the network
init do this by itself? And what is it doing differently from what
I did manually?

If I want to use the DHCP (yes, a DHCP server is running), nothing
goes. So what's that?

The hardware is an oldish IBM R32, using the orinico/hermes modules
(see above). Everything else works fine on windows.

It is *not* a local network problem - I'm required to use the WLAN
here in a hotel, but the same problem appeared by now in *any* other
network I had to use.

For completion, this is a debian etch, but the same problem happened
already under an oldish Suse 9.3.

So long,