ETH0 going down: nobody cared...Disabling IRQ #7 - Hardware

This is a discussion on ETH0 going down: nobody cared...Disabling IRQ #7 - Hardware ; I recently purchased a machine with the following specs: Dimension C521,Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.00GHz, 512Kx2) 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz Integrated Graphics 250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM) Integrated 10/100 Ethernet 48X CD-RW/DVD Combination Drive Integrated Audio I also ...

  1. ETH0 going down: nobody cared...Disabling IRQ #7

    I recently purchased a machine with the following specs:

    Dimension C521,Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.00GHz, 512Kx2)
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
    Integrated Graphics
    250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
    48X CD-RW/DVD Combination Drive
    Integrated Audio

    I also purchased a second PCI ethernet adapter so that I could use the
    machine as a router. Here are the details of the ethernet adapters
    from lspci:

    04:07.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0
    100Base-TX (rev 02)
    04:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

    The install of Etch went smoothly and everything works great, except
    that a couple times a day I see this error:

    irq 7: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)

    Call Trace:
    [] __report_bad_irq+0x30/0x7d
    [] note_interrupt+0x1ed/0x22e
    [] __do_IRQ+0xc7/0x105
    [] __do_softirq+0x5e/0xd5
    [] do_IRQ+0x65/0x73
    [] default_idle+0x0/0x50
    [] ret_from_intr+0x0/0xa
    [] default_idle+0x29/0x50
    [] cpu_idle+0x95/0xb8
    [] start_secondary+0x43e/0x44d

    handlers:
    [] (b44_interrupt+0x0/0xaa [b44])
    Disabling IRQ #7

    The integrated ethernet adapter is using interrupt 7, and at this
    point I lose my network connection.

    Here are the contents of /proc/interrupts:

    CPU0 CPU1
    0: 558459 2341 XT-PIC timer
    2: 0 0 XT-PIC cascade
    5: 6470 179 XT-PIC ohci_hcd:usb1, eth1
    7: 7016 571999 XT-PIC eth0
    8: 0 0 XT-PIC rtc
    10: 2788 186 XT-PIC libata, HDA Intel
    11: 0 0 XT-PIC libata
    15: 0 1 XT-PIC ehci_hcd:usb2
    NMI: 65 50
    LOC: 560806 560785
    ERR: 7844
    MIS: 0

    I am currently booting with the following options: noapic acpi=off
    nofb. I tried booting with irqpoll, but that caused more problems.
    Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: ETH0 going down: nobody cared...Disabling IRQ #7

    bdbrowder@gmail.com wrote:

    > I recently purchased a machine with the following specs:
    >
    > Dimension C521,Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.00GHz, 512Kx2)
    > 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
    > Integrated Graphics
    > 250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    > Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
    > 48X CD-RW/DVD Combination Drive
    > Integrated Audio
    >
    > I also purchased a second PCI ethernet adapter so that I could use the
    > machine as a router. Here are the details of the ethernet adapters
    > from lspci:
    >
    > 04:07.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0
    > 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    > 04:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    > RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    >

    > The install of Etch went smoothly and everything works great, except
    > that a couple times a day I see this error:
    >
    > irq 7: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
    >
    > Call Trace:
    > [] __report_bad_irq+0x30/0x7d
    > [] note_interrupt+0x1ed/0x22e
    > [] __do_IRQ+0xc7/0x105
    > [] __do_softirq+0x5e/0xd5
    > [] do_IRQ+0x65/0x73
    > [] default_idle+0x0/0x50
    > [] ret_from_intr+0x0/0xa
    > [] default_idle+0x29/0x50
    > [] cpu_idle+0x95/0xb8
    > [] start_secondary+0x43e/0x44d
    >
    > handlers:
    > [] (b44_interrupt+0x0/0xaa [b44])
    > Disabling IRQ #7
    >

    > The integrated ethernet adapter is using interrupt 7, and at this
    > point I lose my network connection.
    >
    > Here are the contents of /proc/interrupts:
    >
    > CPU0 CPU1
    > 0: 558459 2341 XT-PIC timer
    > 2: 0 0 XT-PIC cascade
    > 5: 6470 179 XT-PIC ohci_hcd:usb1, eth1
    > 7: 7016 571999 XT-PIC eth0
    > 8: 0 0 XT-PIC rtc
    > 10: 2788 186 XT-PIC libata, HDA Intel
    > 11: 0 0 XT-PIC libata
    > 15: 0 1 XT-PIC ehci_hcd:usb2
    > NMI: 65 50
    > LOC: 560806 560785
    > ERR: 7844
    > MIS: 0
    >
    > I am currently booting with the following options: noapic acpi=off
    > nofb. I tried booting with irqpoll, but that caused more problems.
    > Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

    Not that I really have a clue about that, but IRQ7 is the legacy interrupt
    for LPT1: or /dev/lp0 as well. You did disable the lpt port in your bios
    setup, did you?