Re: nothing works on ASUS M2R32-MVP - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: nothing works on ASUS M2R32-MVP - Hardware ; General Schvantzkoph wrote: > > For AMD systems your best bet is an Nvidia Nforce based motherboards. The > Nforce chipsets work flawlessly with Linux. As someone else suggested > always check the customer reviews on Newegg before buying a ...

  1. Re: nothing works on ASUS M2R32-MVP

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > For AMD systems your best bet is an Nvidia Nforce based motherboards. The
    > Nforce chipsets work flawlessly with Linux. As someone else suggested
    > always check the customer reviews on Newegg before buying a motherboard.
    > If you don't see any mention of Linux in the reviews look at a different
    > board.

    Hi

    Just out of interest (and I'm out of date here) do they work flawlessly with
    a vanilla kernel (ie not binary blobs from NVidia)?

    Cheers

    Tim

  2. Re: nothing works on ASUS M2R32-MVP

    Tim S staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> For AMD systems your best bet is an Nvidia Nforce based motherboards.
    >> The Nforce chipsets work flawlessly with Linux.

    > Just out of interest (and I'm out of date here) do they work
    > flawlessly with a vanilla kernel (ie not binary blobs from NVidia)?

    nForce doesn't necessarily mean "nVidia chipset graphics card".
    Everything works on my nForce-based Tyan S2865 board with a vanilla
    2.6.20.1 kernel, though for some reason forcedeth says the onboard
    Ethernet port is eth3 instead of eth1.

    --
    So, what do *you* do for a living?
    I sit in a chair, pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers

  3. Re: nothing works on ASUS M2R32-MVP

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > Tim S staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>> For AMD systems your best bet is an Nvidia Nforce based motherboards.
    >>> The Nforce chipsets work flawlessly with Linux.

    >> Just out of interest (and I'm out of date here) do they work
    >> flawlessly with a vanilla kernel (ie not binary blobs from NVidia)?

    > nForce doesn't necessarily mean "nVidia chipset graphics card".

    Yep. Though I remember the days before forcedeth when binary crap was
    required.

    > Everything works on my nForce-based Tyan S2865 board with a vanilla
    > 2.6.20.1 kernel, though for some reason forcedeth says the onboard
    > Ethernet port is eth3 instead of eth1.

    That is interesting - perhaps I will forgive NForce for existing and give
    one a go.

    Thanks for that.

    Cheers

    Tim

  4. Re: nothing works on ASUS M2R32-MVP

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 07:46:36 +0100, Tim S wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >

    >> For AMD systems your best bet is an Nvidia Nforce based motherboards.
    >> The Nforce chipsets work flawlessly with Linux. As someone else
    >> suggested always check the customer reviews on Newegg before buying a
    >> motherboard. If you don't see any mention of Linux in the reviews look
    >> at a different board.

    > Hi
    >
    > Just out of interest (and I'm out of date here) do they work flawlessly
    > with a vanilla kernel (ie not binary blobs from NVidia)?
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > Tim

    I have several Nforce systems of various flavors, they've all worked out
    of the box with no binary drivers required. I'm not sure what the Nforce
    binary drivers actually do for you, I've never noticed any performance
    difference between the kernel drivers and Nvidia's, the disk performance
    seems to be the same and Ethernet performance seems to be about as good
    as it can be with the open source drivers. NVidia did have some hardware
    firewall support in the Nforce 4 (since dropped in the Nforce5), I
    suppose that the binary drivers may have taken advantage of that. It's
    certainly not like the graphics drivers, the Nvidia binary drivers make a
    big difference vs the open source driver.

+ Reply to Thread