Shuttle SB75G2 - No PXE boot?... - Hardware

This is a discussion on Shuttle SB75G2 - No PXE boot?... - Hardware ; Hi all, I've got one of the above, based on an Intel 875 chipset with a Broadcom 57xx NIC. Can't for the life of me persuade it to attempt a PXE boot. I have a working linux DHCP server (well, ...

  1. Shuttle SB75G2 - No PXE boot?...

    Hi all,

    I've got one of the above, based on an Intel 875 chipset with a Broadcom
    57xx NIC.

    Can't for the life of me persuade it to attempt a PXE boot.

    I have a working linux DHCP server (well, it works as far as handing out IPs
    to known MAC addresses - currently the entries to support PXE are
    untested).

    I also have a working atfptd server (tftp will get the
    file /tftpboot/pxelinux.0 sucessfully).

    However, despite enabling the LAN Boot, making Boot From LAN the first item
    and telling the Broadcom BIOS that it's allowed to boot, I cannot get it to
    even send a DHCP packet (or a BOOTP packet) to the server - I've tested for
    both with tcpdump on the DHCP/TFTPD server.

    I've tried forcing the Shuttle to boot from LAN via teh manual boot menu
    (press ESC) and that's ignored too.

    I've even tried setting the Broadcom boot BIOS thingy to "BBS", int18, int19
    and "auto". I don't ever see a "Press F12" message either.

    I know these things *can* PXE boot - so I am wondering what I might have
    done wrong. Must be something silly?...

    Thought's gratefully received

    Cheers

    Tim

  2. Re: Shuttle SB75G2 - No PXE boot?...

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:35:28 +0100, Tim S wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got one of the above, based on an Intel 875 chipset with a Broadcom
    > 57xx NIC.
    >
    > Can't for the life of me persuade it to attempt a PXE boot.
    >
    > I have a working linux DHCP server (well, it works as far as handing out IPs
    > to known MAC addresses - currently the entries to support PXE are
    > untested).
    >
    > I also have a working atfptd server (tftp will get the
    > file /tftpboot/pxelinux.0 sucessfully).
    >
    > However, despite enabling the LAN Boot, making Boot From LAN the first item
    > and telling the Broadcom BIOS that it's allowed to boot, I cannot get it to
    > even send a DHCP packet (or a BOOTP packet) to the server - I've tested for
    > both with tcpdump on the DHCP/TFTPD server.
    >
    > I've tried forcing the Shuttle to boot from LAN via teh manual boot menu
    > (press ESC) and that's ignored too.
    >
    > I've even tried setting the Broadcom boot BIOS thingy to "BBS", int18, int19
    > and "auto". I don't ever see a "Press F12" message either.
    >
    > I know these things *can* PXE boot - so I am wondering what I might have
    > done wrong. Must be something silly?...
    >
    > Thought's gratefully received
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Tim

    Hi Tim-

    I've worked with a variety of broadcom chipsets and found a bit of
    variety in how we got PXE booting to work in the past. One issue we did
    find was that often the boot sequence was set to a timeout too low and
    that the broadcom network cards would simply not be given enough time to
    get the information from the server. You may want to check what timeout
    value you set in the server. I've seen broadcom chipsets be agonizingly
    slow and we reset the timeout value in the server in the hopes of
    coaxing the broadcom chipset to boot. Another thing we noted on a few
    different servers was that the broadcom network card had firmware
    updates available which materially affected at a positive level the
    ability of the chip to PXE boot. Particularly broadcom chips on the
    sunfire servers we used had timeout issues which were positively
    affected by downloading and applying new firmware patches from Sun.

    After applying the firmware upgrades, we got reliable PXE booting. Its
    worthwhile to mention though that there is an amazing variety of these
    chips out there and we did not find a 100% fix for each one of them.

    --
    Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try --Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://mikesplace.wordpress.com

  3. Re: Shuttle SB75G2 - No PXE boot?...

    Michael Perry wrote:

    > Hi Tim-
    >
    > I've worked with a variety of broadcom chipsets and found a bit of
    > variety in how we got PXE booting to work in the past. One issue we did
    > find was that often the boot sequence was set to a timeout too low and
    > that the broadcom network cards would simply not be given enough time to
    > get the information from the server. You may want to check what timeout
    > value you set in the server. I've seen broadcom chipsets be agonizingly
    > slow and we reset the timeout value in the server in the hopes of
    > coaxing the broadcom chipset to boot. Another thing we noted on a few
    > different servers was that the broadcom network card had firmware
    > updates available which materially affected at a positive level the
    > ability of the chip to PXE boot. Particularly broadcom chips on the
    > sunfire servers we used had timeout issues which were positively
    > affected by downloading and applying new firmware patches from Sun.
    >
    > After applying the firmware upgrades, we got reliable PXE booting. Its
    > worthwhile to mention though that there is an amazing variety of these
    > chips out there and we did not find a 100% fix for each one of them.

    Thanks Michael,

    I'll try a BIOS flash - there is an update for mine.

    Cheers

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread