How can Linux demage a motherboard? - Hardware

This is a discussion on How can Linux demage a motherboard? - Hardware ; "Tom Szabo" wrote: >As far as I can see, some code in Image #2 has changed something in the >machine. If it was part of a normal adjustment, it should be reversed by a >correct image. Not necessarily. If the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    "Tom Szabo" wrote:
    >As far as I can see, some code in Image #2 has changed something in the
    >machine. If it was part of a normal adjustment, it should be reversed by a
    >correct image.

    Not necessarily. If the first image doesn't support initializing the
    monitor chip, it will retain the configuration set by the other image.

    You probably want to try the BIOS setup, and try to set/read just about
    everything there is for it. That might reconfigure the monitor chip.

    Otherwise you'll have to take a really close look at the boot scripts
    you are using with the image that changed things, and figure out what
    it does and how to counter it.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson

  2. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    Mark writes:
    >So you're trying to run the Opteron box off a hard disk linux installation
    >that was setup on a different cpu architecture and motherboard? That's no surprise that
    >didn't work too well.

    Linux is not Windows. Linux can generally handle this situation quite
    fine. I have done so several times. The main thing that could cause
    problems is if the old installation misses a driver that is needed for
    booting the new board, but that does not result in the problems he
    described. Years ago there were problems with the device detection
    code of some drivers, but I have not read about that kind of problem
    in years, and the way modern distributions work, such problems cannot
    be afforded any more.

    > Intel and AMD use different power management systems
    >Opteron uses "Cool-n-Quiet" and Intel uses speedstep. Since the intel and AMD
    >32bit and 64bit architectures are pretty compatible (EMT64<->AMD64 or i386 on either)
    >the kernel itself was ok, it does some hardware detection at boot time so it should
    >work on either. But when it loaded cpuspeed the power driver is hard coded in the
    >/etc/cpuspeed.conf file on most Linux's so it was likely trying to load an
    >inappropriate power module.

    The result would be that the module does not load, because the CPU is
    wrong. E.g., here's what I get on an Athlon 64 X2:

    # modprobe speedstep-centrino
    FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino (/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-amd64-perfctr/kernel/arch/x86_64/kernel/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.ko): No such device

    Then the CPU just runs at full speed, which is no problem on a normal
    machine.

    - anton

  3. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    "Tom Szabo" writes:
    >Hi Floyd,
    >
    >I just tried with one of the machines to put back "Image #1" and started up,
    >buted up fine, got into KDE, looked around a little and suddenly started
    >shutting down. It simply initialises a shutdown process as if I would issue
    >a HALT or REBOOT.

    That does not sound like the thermal protection of the CPU. The CPU
    itself would either just stop or become very slow, but it won't do an
    OS shutdown. So the shutdown comes from either the OS or from the
    BIOS. You should look in /var/log/messages or another file in
    /var/log and you might see what initiated the shutdown (and if it was
    the BIOS, how that happened). This might pinpoint what's wrong.

    - anton

  4. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    Replace the Batteries. They might be down all three!

    regards
    M.

  5. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    Hi Anton,

    It has to be the BIOS or something on that level as the machine doesn't even
    get to the OS after the second startup.

    It is not a true overheat, I know. It is a sensor that gives false value or
    a process that over-reacts, say a valu set to too low.

    The only proble that in the BOIS I can't find anything strange, all looks
    right.

    So what else is there ? This is wnere my knnowledge is missing. I am not a
    hardware engineer, I came from the software side and undestand basin
    concepts but it is beyond me. I thought the BIOS is the only place on th
    motherboard that someone or the OS can make changes. I have applied the
    latest BIOS patch, so that should have overwritten the
    missconfiguration...or not?

    TIA,

    Tom

    "Anton Ertl" wrote in message
    news:2007Apr21.081123@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at.. .
    > "Tom Szabo" writes:
    > >Hi Floyd,
    > >
    > >I just tried with one of the machines to put back "Image #1" and started

    up,
    > >buted up fine, got into KDE, looked around a little and suddenly started
    > >shutting down. It simply initialises a shutdown process as if I would

    issue
    > >a HALT or REBOOT.

    > That does not sound like the thermal protection of the CPU. The CPU
    > itself would either just stop or become very slow, but it won't do an
    > OS shutdown. So the shutdown comes from either the OS or from the
    > BIOS. You should look in /var/log/messages or another file in
    > /var/log and you might see what initiated the shutdown (and if it was
    > the BIOS, how that happened). This might pinpoint what's wrong.
    >
    > - anton
    > --
    > M. Anton Ertl Some things have to be seen to be

    believed
    > anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be

    seen
    > http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html

  6. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    Could installing Windows 2003 server fix it? Or any other OS....

    "Anton Ertl" wrote in message
    news:2007Apr21.075406@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at.. .
    > Mark writes:
    > >So you're trying to run the Opteron box off a hard disk linux

    installation
    > >that was setup on a different cpu architecture and motherboard? That's

    no surprise that
    > >didn't work too well.

    > Linux is not Windows. Linux can generally handle this situation quite
    > fine. I have done so several times. The main thing that could cause
    > problems is if the old installation misses a driver that is needed for
    > booting the new board, but that does not result in the problems he
    > described. Years ago there were problems with the device detection
    > code of some drivers, but I have not read about that kind of problem
    > in years, and the way modern distributions work, such problems cannot
    > be afforded any more.
    >
    > > Intel and AMD use different power management systems
    > >Opteron uses "Cool-n-Quiet" and Intel uses speedstep. Since the intel

    and AMD
    > >32bit and 64bit architectures are pretty compatible (EMT64<->AMD64 or

    i386 on either)
    > >the kernel itself was ok, it does some hardware detection at boot time so

    it should
    > >work on either. But when it loaded cpuspeed the power driver is hard

    coded in the
    > >/etc/cpuspeed.conf file on most Linux's so it was likely trying to load

    an
    > >inappropriate power module.

    > The result would be that the module does not load, because the CPU is
    > wrong. E.g., here's what I get on an Athlon 64 X2:
    >
    > # modprobe speedstep-centrino
    > FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino

    (/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-amd64-perfctr/kernel/arch/x86_64/kernel/cpufreq/speed
    step-centrino.ko): No such device

    > Then the CPU just runs at full speed, which is no problem on a normal
    > machine.
    >
    > - anton
    > --
    > M. Anton Ertl Some things have to be seen to be

    believed
    > anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be

    seen
    > http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html

  7. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    Hi Kirk,

    I have tried, this is what boggles my mind. Where the hell is this value?

    I have reset the bios and also patched it...I will try again ...

    Thanks again,

    Tom

    "Kirk C Aune" wrote in message
    news:aKhWh.537$im2.479@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net. ..
    > Noozer wrote:
    > > "Tom Szabo" wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> What you are saying is correct, almost, just one little but could be
    > >> significant issue.
    > >>
    > >> The first mage was installed on this, Opteron based machine, the second
    > >> was
    > >> installed on Dueal Xeon based machine ans brought over to the

    Opteron...

    > >> I also appreciate your suggestion, but I already tryed everything on

    this
    > >> line, I was twice in the bios looking at the temperature when the

    system
    > >> suddenly wund up and shut down a few seconds later.
    > >>
    > >> All temperatures were stable and in the middle between high and low.
    > >> Unfortunately I haven't found a way to shut down or disable the

    temperatur
    > >> monitoring....

    > > One more item, from way out in left field, is UPS monitoring...
    > >
    > > I'm not aware of any mainboards that handle UPS monitoring, so it's not
    > > likely the issue.
    > >
    > > I have had systems with similar symptoms after a COM port was disabled

    in
    > > the BIOS settings, or a cable moved to allow a serial connection to
    > > something else. This was all at OS level though, so wouldn't happen

    until
    > > the OS was booted.
    > >

    > Check your Motherboard book to locate the CMOS jumper reset and reset.
    > If the temperature/fan/fail sensors were set to something incompatible
    > with standard operation, the power can be arrested. The reset on the
    > motherboard will clear back to default conditions on the bios and give
    > you a shot at use again.

  8. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    Hi Markus,

    Which batteries? I can only find one to start with, also I have a feeling
    it has a very minor chance that 3 new machines will have the same problem...

    Regards,

    Tom

    "Markus Hoffmann" wrote in message
    news:Pine.LNX.4.61.0704211248450.22377@mpyldhoff.d esy.de...

    > Replace the Batteries. They might be down all three!
    >
    > regards
    > M.

  9. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 04:03:49 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, "Tom Szabo"
    wrote:

    > Hi Floyd,
    >
    > I just tried with one of the machines to put back "Image #1" and started up,
    > buted up fine, got into KDE, looked around a little and suddenly started
    > shutting down. It simply initialises a shutdown process as if I would issue
    > a HALT or REBOOT.
    >
    > So I am still stuck....it means the good image doesn't reverse the affect of
    > the old one...but how can it be????

    Many distributions send a copy of syslog to one of your TTY's, usually 10 or 11
    so perhaps you might gather some useful info by switching to that terminal once
    the shutdown process has started. It might tell you what's initiating it and
    why. Failing that, maybe you could mount the drive in a working machine and
    browse the /var/log/messages file on the disk to see if it wil shed any light.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  10. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    "Tom Szabo" writes:

    > Hi Anton,
    >
    > It has to be the BIOS or something on that level as the machine doesn't even
    > get to the OS after the second startup.
    >
    > It is not a true overheat, I know. It is a sensor that gives false value or
    > a process that over-reacts, say a valu set to too low.
    >
    > The only proble that in the BOIS I can't find anything strange, all looks
    > right.
    >
    > So what else is there ? This is wnere my knnowledge is missing. I am not a
    > hardware engineer, I came from the software side and undestand basin
    > concepts but it is beyond me. I thought the BIOS is the only place on th
    > motherboard that someone or the OS can make changes. I have applied the
    > latest BIOS patch, so that should have overwritten the
    > missconfiguration...or not?

    Try a BIOS reset. There's usually a jumper somewhere on the
    motherboard to clear all settings. If there isn't one, disconnect all
    power and remove the BIOS battery for at least a few minutes.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  11. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    Well just did it again to make sure I haven't made any mistakes....no change

    "Måns Rullgård" wrote in message
    > "Tom Szabo" writes:
    >
    > > Hi Anton,
    > >
    > > It has to be the BIOS or something on that level as the machine doesn't

    even
    > > get to the OS after the second startup.
    > >
    > > It is not a true overheat, I know. It is a sensor that gives false value

    or
    > > a process that over-reacts, say a valu set to too low.
    > >
    > > The only proble that in the BOIS I can't find anything strange, all

    looks
    > > right.
    > >
    > > So what else is there ? This is wnere my knnowledge is missing. I am not

    > > hardware engineer, I came from the software side and undestand basin
    > > concepts but it is beyond me. I thought the BIOS is the only place on th
    > > motherboard that someone or the OS can make changes. I have applied the
    > > latest BIOS patch, so that should have overwritten the
    > > missconfiguration...or not?

    > Try a BIOS reset. There's usually a jumper somewhere on the
    > motherboard to clear all settings. If there isn't one, disconnect all
    > power and remove the BIOS battery for at least a few minutes.
    >
    > --
    > Måns Rullgård
    > mans@mansr.com

  12. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    "Tom Szabo" wrote in message
    > Hi Markus,
    >
    > Which batteries? I can only find one to start with, also I have a feeling
    > it has a very minor chance that 3 new machines will have the same

    problem...

    > Regards,
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > "Markus Hoffmann" wrote in message
    > news:Pine.LNX.4.61.0704211248450.22377@mpyldhoff.d esy.de...
    > >
    > > Replace the Batteries. They might be down all three!
    > >
    > > regards
    > > M.

    Tom, been there, feel your pain. Anyway I would try the following:

    1. go to manufacturers website and find out which OS's are officially
    supported on this machine. Get a copy of one of them.
    2. take all the parts out of the case and connect only the motherboard,
    power supply, keyboard, mouse, monitor and cd/dvdrom, no hd.
    3. boot to a live Ubuntu or Knoppix cd and see if it works.
    4. download and flash the bios to THE ORIGINAL version
    5. hook up the hard drive.
    6. boot up and install the OS from step 1.
    7. Do a clean install of whatever version of Linux is supported according
    to the manufacturer.

    let us know how it turned out.

    later,
    charles....

  13. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 22:23:34 +1000, Tom Szabo wrote:

    > Well just did it again to make sure I haven't made any mistakes....no
    > change
    >

    > "Måns Rullgård" wrote in message
    >> "Tom Szabo" writes:
    >>
    >> > Hi Anton,
    >> >
    >> > It has to be the BIOS or something on that level as the machine
    >> > doesn't

    > even
    >> > get to the OS after the second startup.
    >> >
    >> > It is not a true overheat, I know. It is a sensor that gives false
    >> > value

    > or
    >> > a process that over-reacts, say a valu set to too low.
    >> >
    >> > The only proble that in the BOIS I can't find anything strange, all

    > looks
    >> > right.
    >> >
    >> > So what else is there ? This is wnere my knnowledge is missing. I am
    >> > not

    >> > hardware engineer, I came from the software side and undestand basin
    >> > concepts but it is beyond me. I thought the BIOS is the only place on
    >> > th motherboard that someone or the OS can make changes. I have
    >> > applied the latest BIOS patch, so that should have overwritten the
    >> > missconfiguration...or not?

    >> Try a BIOS reset. There's usually a jumper somewhere on the
    >> motherboard to clear all settings. If there isn't one, disconnect all
    >> power and remove the BIOS battery for at least a few minutes.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Måns Rullgård
    >> mans@mansr.com

    Do you have the latest BIOS in these systems? Check on the motherboard
    makers website for a BIOS update.

  14. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    "Tom Szabo" wrote in message
    > Hi Kirk,
    >
    > I have tried, this is what boggles my mind. Where the hell is this value?
    >
    > I have reset the bios and also patched it...I will try again ...
    >
    > Thanks again,

    Is the hardware monitor settings flashed into the monitor chip, or saved in
    the CMOS?

    I've heard of software that wipes out the contents of CMOS and it may be
    more thorough than the battery jumper. I'd also consider leaving the battery
    out of the PC overnight, as well as no power to the PSU.

    I'd consider contacting the mainboard company and ask for a utility to reset
    all the hardware, not just the CMOS, to a good default state.

  15. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    My 2 cents are:

    1) Try to restore the BIOS to the original version for the
    main board. Upgrade BIOS might add problems, and hinder
    trouble shooting.

    2) If you still get yet another replacement system, you
    should install fresh from a well known distro, no matter
    Debian, Red Hat, Suse, or whatever. Put some obvious
    and see if the system can burn-in for 24 hours. I wonder,
    your observed problem is already there with the delivered
    system. Big names are nothing, as they out-sourced their
    production lines anyway. Don't be shocked that well known
    PC (or even server) models are full of hardware faults, but
    problems would not surface when most users using Windoze
    with a 99% idle time.

    3) Check your UPS and interface, and as a trial, disable
    your ups daemon.

    Stephen Wong @ Hong Kong.

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2007, Noozer wrote:

    > "Tom Szabo" wrote in message
    >> Hi Kirk,
    >>
    >> I have tried, this is what boggles my mind. Where the hell is this value?
    >>
    >> I have reset the bios and also patched it...I will try again ...
    >>
    >> Thanks again,

    > Is the hardware monitor settings flashed into the monitor chip, or saved in
    > the CMOS?
    >
    > I've heard of software that wipes out the contents of CMOS and it may be
    > more thorough than the battery jumper. I'd also consider leaving the battery
    > out of the PC overnight, as well as no power to the PSU.
    >
    > I'd consider contacting the mainboard company and ask for a utility to reset
    > all the hardware, not just the CMOS, to a good default state.

  16. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    Tom Szabo wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What you are saying is correct, almost, just one little but could be
    > significant issue.
    >
    > The first mage was installed on this, Opteron based machine, the second
    > was installed on Dueal Xeon based machine ans brought over to the
    > Opteron...
    >
    > I also appreciate your suggestion, but I already tryed everything on this
    > line, I was twice in the bios looking at the temperature when the system
    > suddenly wund up and shut down a few seconds later.
    >
    > All temperatures were stable and in the middle between high and low.
    > Unfortunately I haven't found a way to shut down or disable the temperatur
    > monitoring....
    >
    > I will do a few more tests and get back,
    >
    > Thanks anyway,
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > "Noozer" wrote in message
    >> > I have restarted the server and this time the server only run for about
    >> > 10-15 seconds with increasing fan speed and shut down again.

    >> Just to recap. Let me know if I'm missing something.
    >>
    >> - These machines ran without issues for hours using the first Linux
    >> image. - Because of configuration issues with the first image, a second
    >> Linux

    > image
    >> was installed. The PC's shut down quickly after this image was installed

    > and
    >> started.
    >> - Now the PC's will shut down after only a few seconds, regardless of
    >> what image is installed. The PC's will even shut down automatically even
    >> if no drive is attached, or you are in the BIOS setup.
    >>
    >> IF you can get into the BIOS setup, try and disable the "shutdown at this
    >> temp" settings and "fan detection" settings. Use the PC Health page to
    >> monitor the temps and fan speeds that the PC is seeing.

    Unfortunately an inappropriate image can. Normal installs usually preclude
    this. But when you cross from dual Xeon to Opteron the memory and bus
    configurations are just too different. The issue that it will now kick out
    and die in BIOS is the last straw. The Mobo, the CPU or both are damaged.
    Nor is there any convenient way to prove it without about US $1,000,000 in
    ATE. For troubleshooting purposes try using a clean install on a new MOBO,
    CPU and memory without any of your specific applications (maybe not even
    any X windows). If that installs, run sysbasher for a week. Then solve
    the configuration issues.
    It is not all that frequent but usually when i hear of someone crossing
    images between AMD and Intel hardware the install is very unreliable until
    install detects the difference in devices (Kudzu in some, yast in suse,
    etc.,) and reconfigures correctly. Sometimes even then it remains
    permanently flaky.
    What happens is that though the various sets of control registers are very
    similar the exact meanings of the various values are a bit different. This
    results in timing / voltage / something being a bit off, followed by
    excessive heat in general, and eventually parameter changing heat on one or
    more individual pins. Then even correctly setup it may not be reliable any
    more, or maybe not even be functional.
    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.Â*Â*

  17. Re: How can Linux demage a motherboard?

    Thanks to everybody, the problem is solved.

    Most of the problem was caused by a cable un-done in the macine and loose in
    the other one...

    The conclusion is that there was no demage, but during testing I found that
    while an image can be shifted from one achitecture to another one (Intel to
    AMD in this case), it seems to cause cooling/temperature control problem,
    like fans seem to fluctuate.

    Anyway, thanks for all the help

    Regards,

    Tom

    "Tom Szabo" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have recently purchased a few servers, AMD Opteron based. I have

    installed
    > Linux with the 2.6 kernel and started configuring. I have run into some
    > confguration problems so after a few hours of changing setting and
    > installing components I have abandoned the installed image and decided to
    > plug in a different drive with an image that was installed on a different
    > (Intel based) server. I have started up the server and it booted as

    normal,
    > except the server that previously run quietly during the boot process
    > started to get noisy, the fans started to work harder halfway through the
    > bootup process, after a while the fans started to go run flat out for a

    few
    > seconds and the system decided to initialise a system shutdow, and

    shutdown
    > without a question.
    >
    > I have restarted the server and this time the server only run for about
    > 10-15 seconds with increasing fan speed and shut down again.
    >
    > On the third try the server only ran for a couple of secod, the fans just
    > shad enough time to speed up, and the system shut down straight away. i

    have
    > tried again and again, but no change.
    >
    > I check the CPU and all components for heat, non was overheating, all

    seemed
    > fine.
    >
    > I had the second server unpacked and started using it. After pluging in

    the
    > "second" image, that was created on s different system the server started
    > the same behaviour and became unusable. At this stage I had no idea what

    is
    > causing the problem. I had the two servers to rest, and after a few hours

    of
    > rest I did a few tests.
    >
    > After "cooling off", the servers will turn on and operate for a few

    minutes,
    > but once they do the first shutdown as previously did, they will only
    > operate for another 10-15 second, and any subsequent attempt of fireing

    them
    > up will last for a seccond or two. Again lleaving them for a few hour
    > allows too get them goind for a few minutes.
    >
    > I have called the manufacturer and explained the situation, at this stage

    > was not aware of the affect of the second image, going through the simptom
    > together with the tech guy on the other end of the line, we ame to the
    > conclusion that this is a MotherBoard problem and they are dspatching one
    > for me.
    >
    > In the evening I decided to unpack the third server and using the "first
    > image" I started to continue the abandoned configuration. Another 2 hours
    > went past using the 3rd server without any problem, but I could not get

    the
    > ystem configured the way I needed so plugged in the "second image" and
    > booted up the 3rd server again. During the boot while the server was going
    > through the different run levels I heard the fans speeding up and somewhat
    > fluctuating. I suddenly realises the situation and understood that this

    this
    > problem only started on all 3 servers when I booted up with this image, I
    > halted the boot process, but it was too late. After unpluggging the drive
    > from the 3rd machine and trying to reoot again, the server run for a few
    > minutes and shut down as the other 2 did previously.
    >
    > Here it became clear that Linux has made some changes, altered something

    in
    > the bios or who knows where and I have to reset watever has changed.
    >
    > I have tried to reset the bios with the dip switch, in the bios set back

    > default and removed the power cable from the motherboard together with

    the
    > bios battery. Left it rest for a little while, started up again, but no
    > change.
    >
    > I have even managed to update the bios hoping to overwrite any changes,

    but
    > no affect. The servers still behave the same way. Have plugged in a
    > different powersupply, still made no difeerence.
    >
    > My conclusion at this stage is that some sensor or other mechanism has

    been
    > adjusted or demage by the OS, and none of the above attempts to reset it

    has
    > worked!!!
    >
    > What could it be? How can an operating system cause such irreversible
    > change??
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Tom

+ Reply to Thread