NVidea Raid0 with NTFS-partitions shall be mount for reading - Hardware

This is a discussion on NVidea Raid0 with NTFS-partitions shall be mount for reading - Hardware ; Hello guys, I am stuck with this problem for some weeks now: I'm trying to set up a Dual-Boot-System. Both OS, WinXP and a Gnu/Linux, shall be installed on a 76GiB-IDE-harddisk. No problem so far. But there's still my NVidea ...

  1. NVidea Raid0 with NTFS-partitions shall be mount for reading

    Hello guys,

    I am stuck with this problem for some weeks now:

    I'm trying to set up a Dual-Boot-System. Both OS, WinXP and a Gnu/Linux,
    shall be installed on a 76GiB-IDE-harddisk. No problem so far.

    But there's still my NVidea Raid-0, which consists of two identical
    HITACHI-SATA-disk 244GiB ('/dev/sda' and '/dev/sdb'). The filesystem
    of its partitions is NTFS.

    I just want to mount them so I can use my data under Gnu/Linux as well.

    So I tried Debian/Kubuntu/Sabayon to find out how they support RAID, but
    it seems to be sth. uncared-for (at least if I don't want to create a
    new raid under Linux which I can't use among Windows). At least Sabayon
    showed me something under /dev/mapper/ but this was more confusing then
    helping (three NVidea-sth. were shown but I couldn't see what they were
    standing for) and documentation seems to be rare on this topic.

    I don't blame Gnu/Linux for this. All I can say is that I love such
    proprietary software designed only to work with Windows :/

    btaim, I wonder if not some damn smart guy has found a way to use a
    "windows"-raid among Linux and if that one could brief me in.

    I prefer Kubuntu but if there's Gnu/Linux which has an /easy/
    RAID-support it's quite welcome.

    Regards,
    Philipp

  2. Re: NVidea Raid0 with NTFS-partitions shall be mount for reading

    Philipp Kretzschmar wrote:
    > Hello guys,
    >
    > I am stuck with this problem for some weeks now:
    >
    > I'm trying to set up a Dual-Boot-System. Both OS, WinXP and a Gnu/Linux,
    > shall be installed on a 76GiB-IDE-harddisk. No problem so far.
    >
    > But there's still my NVidea Raid-0, which consists of two identical
    > HITACHI-SATA-disk 244GiB ('/dev/sda' and '/dev/sdb'). The filesystem
    > of its partitions is NTFS.
    >
    > I just want to mount them so I can use my data under Gnu/Linux as well.
    >
    > So I tried Debian/Kubuntu/Sabayon to find out how they support RAID, but
    > it seems to be sth. uncared-for (at least if I don't want to create a
    > new raid under Linux which I can't use among Windows). At least Sabayon
    > showed me something under /dev/mapper/ but this was more confusing then
    > helping (three NVidea-sth. were shown but I couldn't see what they were
    > standing for) and documentation seems to be rare on this topic.
    >
    > I don't blame Gnu/Linux for this. All I can say is that I love such
    > proprietary software designed only to work with Windows :/
    >
    > btaim, I wonder if not some damn smart guy has found a way to use a
    > "windows"-raid among Linux and if that one could brief me in.
    >
    > I prefer Kubuntu but if there's Gnu/Linux which has an /easy/
    > RAID-support it's quite welcome.
    >

    > Regards,
    > Philipp

    Sorry for the delay but I just subscribed to this group.

    Windows software raid can be mounted in linux.

    First create /etc/raidtab with these lines:

    raiddev /dev/md0
    raid-level 0
    nr-raid-disks 2
    nr-spare-disks 0
    persistent-superblock 0
    chunk-size 64k

    device /dev/sda1
    raid-disk 0
    device /dev/sdb1
    raid-disk 1

    Do NOT run mkraid, that'll kill your windows raid.

    Next run:

    raid0run -a
    mount -t ntfs -o ro,umask=0222 /dev/md0 /mnt/winraid

    You can put these last 2 lines in rc.local or wherever your distro puts
    commands to be run at boot.

    Now your windows raid set should be available at /mnt/winraid.
    There are a few buts however.
    First, I don't know if your nvidia raid set is a windows raid set, you
    can check that in disk management.
    Second, I don't know if the chunk size windows uses changes when using
    very large drives.
    I don't know how to check that, trial and error I suppose.
    It worked for me with 2 8G ide drives on win2k and slackware 10.

    Good luck, Michel,

+ Reply to Thread