How to backup /copy only new files and skip old ones automaticly ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on How to backup /copy only new files and skip old ones automaticly ? - Hardware ; Hello I have to set up a weekly backup on an ext disk. How can do so that only files should be copied and all that exist already skipped? (to avoid to copy 320g every time) is it a special ...

  1. How to backup /copy only new files and skip old ones automaticly ?

    Hello
    I have to set up a weekly backup on an ext disk.
    How can do so that only files should be copied and all that exist already
    skipped?
    (to avoid to copy 320g every time)

    is it a special script that I need?

    Thank you

  2. Re: How to backup /copy only new files and skip old ones automaticly ?

    serge_moscou wrote:

    > Hello
    > I have to set up a weekly backup on an ext disk.
    > How can do so that only files should be copied and all that exist already
    > skipped?
    > (to avoid to copy 320g every time)
    >
    > is it a special script that I need?
    >
    > Thank you

    rsync *is* the definitive answer.

    There's lots of info on the web and even some wrapper scripts that use rsync
    internally but manage your backups at a higher level.

    Cheers

    Tim

  3. Re: How to backup /copy only new files and skip old ones automaticly ?

    Tim Southerwood wrote:

    > serge_moscou wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >> I have to set up a weekly backup on an ext disk.
    >> How can do so that only files should be copied and all that exist already
    >> skipped?
    >> (to avoid to copy 320g every time)
    >>
    >> is it a special script that I need?
    >>
    >> Thank you

    > rsync *is* the definitive answer.
    >
    > There's lots of info on the web and even some wrapper scripts that use
    > rsync internally but manage your backups at a higher level.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Tim

    While is very useful that way, it can copy the other way as well. That may
    cause some ugly surprizes. It may be real handy for backups, but it is not
    so handy for restore.
    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

  4. Re: How to backup /copy only new files and skip old ones automaticly ?

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:21:20 +0400, serge_moscou wrote:

    > Hello
    > I have to set up a weekly backup on an ext disk.
    > How can do so that only files should be copied and all that exist already
    > skipped?
    > (to avoid to copy 320g every time)
    >
    > is it a special script that I need?
    >
    > Thank you

    If you want to make your own script, you could do something like this:

    tar -cf /backups/$(date +%Y-%m-%d).backup.tar $(find / -name /backups
    -prune -o -mtime -6 -print)

    This looks up all the files modified in the last 6.999... days, tars them
    together and places them in a unique filename in your /backups directory.
    It also ignores the backups directory while looking for new files,
    otherwise it would include last week's backup.
    You can place this line directly into crontab, but I recommend using a
    script file. You'll probably want to tweak and add to this script and
    that's easier to do in a file.

+ Reply to Thread