AMD Athlon 64 X2 motherboard? - Hardware

This is a discussion on AMD Athlon 64 X2 motherboard? - Hardware ; I'm on the market for a AMD Athlon 64 X2 system and right now I'm looking for a micro-atx motherboards which has flawless linux support, supports booting from USB, has 4 RAM slots and supports SATA hard drives. So any ...

  1. AMD Athlon 64 X2 motherboard?

    I'm on the market for a AMD Athlon 64 X2 system and right now I'm
    looking for a micro-atx motherboards which has flawless linux support,
    supports booting from USB, has 4 RAM slots and supports SATA hard
    drives.

    So any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance
    Rui Maciel

  2. Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 motherboard?

    Rui Maciel wrote:

    > I'm on the market for a AMD Athlon 64 X2 system and right now I'm
    > looking for a micro-atx motherboards which has flawless linux support,
    > supports booting from USB, has 4 RAM slots and supports SATA hard
    > drives.
    >
    > So any suggestions?

    Yes, Google. ;-) Sorry, that was a bit rude.

    Seriously, micro atx boards are small and rarely have a lot of
    memory slots. Also you probably want an AM2 socket, but that
    is not the only socket that supports X2.

    "Works flawlessly" is a bit of a trap. What if it had a
    Winmodem? Couldn't you just ignore that? What if it has
    a Gigabit Ethernet port that works reliably but only at
    100 Meg? What do you insist that it has?

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 motherboard?

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 05:46:16 -0700, Rui Maciel wrote:

    > I'm on the market for a AMD Athlon 64 X2 system and right now I'm
    > looking for a micro-atx motherboards which has flawless linux support,
    > supports booting from USB, has 4 RAM slots and supports SATA hard
    > drives.
    >
    > So any suggestions?
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    > Rui Maciel

    Look for a board with an Nvidia Nforce chipset, they are completely Linux
    compatible. I prefer MSI boards, I'm not fond of ABIT boards. The best
    way for you to find the board you want is to check the Newegg site. They
    have a great search function which will allow you to find the boards that
    have the features you want. They also have lots of customer reviews which
    are very helpful.

  4. Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 motherboard?

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 05:46:16 -0700, Rui Maciel wrote:

    > I'm on the market for a AMD Athlon 64 X2 system and right now I'm
    > looking for a micro-atx motherboards which has flawless linux support,
    > supports booting from USB, has 4 RAM slots and supports SATA hard
    > drives.
    >
    > So any suggestions?

    http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/

    Enter your requirements and it'll list motherboards that satisfy them.

    I used it to narrow the choices for my 64-bit system. My final pick?
    Abit KN9 AM2 socket. Fedora Core 6_64 installed without problems.
    Recognized and configured all hardware correctly -- a first for any of the
    systems I've build over the past 6 years -- and has run almost
    continuously and without problems for the past 3 1/2 months. However, I
    did make sure that all my hardware was Linux compatible, when I was
    designing the system.

    Stef

  5. Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 motherboard?

    On Apr 16, 4:27 pm, General Schvantzkoph
    wrote:

    > Look for a board with an Nvidia Nforce chipset, they are completely Linux
    > compatible. I prefer MSI boards, I'm not fond of ABIT boards. The best
    > way for you to find the board you want is to check the Newegg site. They
    > have a great search function which will allow you to find the boards that
    > have the features you want. They also have lots of customer reviews which
    > are very helpful.

    I've browsed the web about abit and indeed things look a bit grim.
    Quite possibly their current product line does not have any issue but
    the company's history leaves much to be desired. MSI, on the other
    hand, comes clean on a quick google search but I have to say that a
    router that I bought from them left on me a not so good impression.
    What about other manufacturers like Gigabyte or Asus?

    I'm going to check newegg out. Thanks for the help. Kudos!

    Rui Maciel

  6. Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 motherboard?

    On Apr 17, 4:35 am, Stefan Patric wrote:

    > > So any suggestions?

    > http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/
    >
    > Enter your requirements and it'll list motherboards that satisfy them.
    >
    > I used it to narrow the choices for my 64-bit system. My final pick?
    > Abit KN9 AM2 socket. Fedora Core 6_64 installed without problems.
    > Recognized and configured all hardware correctly -- a first for any of the
    > systems I've build over the past 6 years -- and has run almost
    > continuously and without problems for the past 3 1/2 months. However, I
    > did make sure that all my hardware was Linux compatible, when I was
    > designing the system.
    >
    > Stef

    Sounds very nice. I'm going to give it a go now.

    Thanks for the tip. Kudos!

    Rui Maciel

  7. Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 motherboard?

    On Apr 29, 3:25 pm, Rui Maciel wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 4:35 am, Stefan Patric wrote:
    >
    > > > So any suggestions?

    > > http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/

    > > Enter your requirements and it'll list motherboards that satisfy them.

    > Sounds very nice. I'm going to give it a go now.

    Indeed that site has a lot of motherboards in it's database. Yet, it
    seems that they didn't even made the faintest effort to plan it or
    even check what they insert in it. They have multiple redundant
    categories (microatx, micro atx) that return completely different
    products (19 vs zero), they list moderboards in categories that don't
    make any sense (single processor micro atx motherboards in the 4
    processor motherboard category), by refining the search we get more
    products instead of less... Madness.

    Having said that, I've found a couple of motherboards from Asus that
    seem to fit my needs. On the other hand they are NForce 430
    motherboards and the site didn't returned any motherboard with a more
    up-to-date, less broken chipset. Knowing how badly broken their
    database is, it seems that more digging is in order.

    Nonetheless, thanks for the link. Kudos!

    Rui Maciel

  8. Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 motherboard?

    Rui Maciel wrote:

    > On Apr 16, 4:27 pm, General Schvantzkoph
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Look for a board with an Nvidia Nforce chipset, they are completely Linux
    >> compatible. I prefer MSI boards, I'm not fond of ABIT boards. The best
    >> way for you to find the board you want is to check the Newegg site. They
    >> have a great search function which will allow you to find the boards that
    >> have the features you want. They also have lots of customer reviews which
    >> are very helpful.

    > I've browsed the web about abit and indeed things look a bit grim.
    > Quite possibly their current product line does not have any issue but
    > the company's history leaves much to be desired. MSI, on the other
    > hand, comes clean on a quick google search but I have to say that a
    > router that I bought from them left on me a not so good impression.
    > What about other manufacturers like Gigabyte or Asus?
    >
    > I'm going to check newegg out. Thanks for the help. Kudos!
    >

    > Rui Maciel

    I haave a Gigibyte GA-M55plus-s3g and i like it. All the onboard
    peripherals work also, currently using opensuse 10.2.
    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

  9. Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 motherboard?

    On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 08:26:52 -0700, Rui Maciel wrote:

    >> > http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/

    >> > Enter your requirements and it'll list motherboards that satisfy
    >> > them.

    >> Sounds very nice. I'm going to give it a go now.

    > Indeed that site has a lot of motherboards in it's database. Yet, it
    > seems that they didn't even made the faintest effort to plan it or even
    > check what they insert in it. They have multiple redundant categories
    > (microatx, micro atx) that return completely different products (19 vs
    > zero), they list moderboards in categories that don't make any sense
    > (single processor micro atx motherboards in the 4 processor motherboard
    > category), by refining the search we get more products instead of
    > less... Madness.
    >
    > Having said that, I've found a couple of motherboards from Asus that
    > seem to fit my needs. On the other hand they are NForce 430 motherboards
    > and the site didn't returned any motherboard with a more up-to-date,
    > less broken chipset. Knowing how badly broken their database is, it
    > seems that more digging is in order.
    >
    > Nonetheless, thanks for the link. Kudos!

    Mobot does have its caveats, but after using it for a while I began to
    understand how it "thinks." For example, in "CPU Count," you can't pick
    only 4 CPU boards, just 1-4. So, ANY board will satisfy that, since ALL
    boards take at least 1 CPU. Stupid. But there's not else like it out
    there. So, until it's "fixed," I guess, we have to live with it.

    The best way to use the database is to input as little info as possible,
    get the results, then add another requirement, and so forth. For the
    first search, start with the most basic requirement. I start with just
    CPU Type or the Socket Type.

    Stef

+ Reply to Thread