Graphics card blown up - Hardware

This is a discussion on Graphics card blown up - Hardware ; My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan blocked. Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for Linux (Kubuntu Feisty) It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Graphics card blown up

    My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan
    blocked.

    Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)
    It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids are raging
    to have the PC working again as soon as possible.
    Instead of racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported
    card, I'd rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.

    So any sugestions are welcome

    Marc

  2. Re: Graphics card blown up

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:17:07 +0000, Marc wrote:

    > My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan
    > blocked.
    >
    > Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    > Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)
    > It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids are raging
    > to have the PC working again as soon as possible.
    > Instead of racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported
    > card, I'd rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.
    >
    > So any sugestions are welcome
    >
    > Marc

    If you were happy with what you had, why not replace with a similar item?
    Personally, I've had pretty good experience with Nvidia.

  3. Re: Graphics card blown up

    Marc writes:
    >Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    >Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)

    You can find my reports on various Radeon cards (X850XT, X800GTO,
    X500, 9600XT, 9600, 9250) in:

    <2006Dec5.174434@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
    <2006Dec15.200226@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
    <2006Dec15.202458@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
    <2007Feb2.184806@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

    - anton

  4. Re: Graphics card blown up

    Marc writes:

    > My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan
    > blocked.
    >
    > Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    > Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)
    > It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids are raging
    > to have the PC working again as soon as possible.
    > Instead of racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported
    > card, I'd rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.
    >
    > So any sugestions are welcome

    I'd go for a fanless nvidia model. The nvidia chips are
    well-supported (if you're not a person of such high moral standards
    that you just can't bear the thought of running the nvidia binary
    drivers), and without a fan this particular incident won't reoccur.
    The fanless cards are plenty fast enough for all but the most extreme
    games.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  5. Re: Graphics card blown up

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > Marc writes:
    >
    >> My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan
    >> blocked.
    >>
    >> Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    >> Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)
    >> It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids are raging
    >> to have the PC working again as soon as possible.
    >> Instead of racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported
    >> card, I'd rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.
    >>
    >> So any sugestions are welcome

    > I'd go for a fanless nvidia model. The nvidia chips are
    > well-supported (if you're not a person of such high moral standards
    > that you just can't bear the thought of running the nvidia binary
    > drivers), and without a fan this particular incident won't reoccur.
    > The fanless cards are plenty fast enough for all but the most extreme
    > games.

    Some of us just object to the binary driver because it's got bugs.
    Having applications randomly closing is irritating, so I went back to
    the nv driver. I suspect the binary driver can't really cope with
    multiple processors because even the work-arounds I've seen don't work
    on my system.

    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)

  6. Re: Graphics card blown up

    Marc wrote:
    > Instead of racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported
    > card, I'd rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.

    There is a comparision of different cards with opensource drivers at
    http://www.free3d.org/

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  7. Re: Graphics card blown up

    Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:

    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> Marc writes:
    >>
    >>> My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan
    >>> blocked.
    >>>
    >>> Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    >>> Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)
    >>> It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids are
    >>> raging to have the PC working again as soon as possible.
    >>> Instead of racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported
    >>> card, I'd rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.
    >>>
    >>> So any sugestions are welcome

    >> I'd go for a fanless nvidia model. The nvidia chips are
    >> well-supported (if you're not a person of such high moral standards
    >> that you just can't bear the thought of running the nvidia binary
    >> drivers), and without a fan this particular incident won't reoccur.
    >> The fanless cards are plenty fast enough for all but the most extreme
    >> games.
    >>

    > Some of us just object to the binary driver because it's got bugs.
    > Having applications randomly closing is irritating, so I went back to
    > the nv driver. I suspect the binary driver can't really cope with
    > multiple processors because even the work-arounds I've seen don't work
    > on my system.

    I'm no fan of binary drivers - though I've more or less conceded WRT
    graphics. For the OP, I find the GeForce 6200A fanless pretty good. Fast
    enough on googleearth, cheap (25-30 quid UK) and available in AGP and
    PCI-E. Drives DVI at 1680x1050 perfectly (which is why it replaced my aged
    Matrox G550).

    And if you hate binary drivers, then at least there are serious efforts to
    reverse engineer the things

    HTH

    Tim

  8. Re: Graphics card blown up

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= writes:
    >Marc writes:
    >
    >> My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan
    >> blocked.
    >>
    >> Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    >> Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)
    >> It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids are raging
    >> to have the PC working again as soon as possible.
    >> Instead of racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported
    >> card, I'd rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.
    >>
    >> So any sugestions are welcome

    >I'd go for a fanless nvidia model. The nvidia chips are
    >well-supported (if you're not a person of such high moral standards
    >that you just can't bear the thought of running the nvidia binary
    >drivers)

    Even if you are moral scum, you might think twice before letting
    Nvidia dictate when you can (or have to) upgrade your software, among
    other things.

    The situation with graphics cards and free drivers is:

    ATI Radeon up to X850XT: 2D and 3D acceleration
    Nvidia: 2D acceleration only
    ATI Radeon X1xxx: not even 2D acceleration

    - anton

  9. Re: Graphics card blown up

    "Dave {Reply Address In.sig}" <"noone$$"@llondel.org> writes:

    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> Marc writes:
    >>
    >>> My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan
    >>> blocked.
    >>>
    >>> Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    >>> Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)
    >>> It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids are raging
    >>> to have the PC working again as soon as possible.
    >>> Instead of racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported
    >>> card, I'd rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.
    >>>
    >>> So any sugestions are welcome

    >> I'd go for a fanless nvidia model. The nvidia chips are
    >> well-supported (if you're not a person of such high moral standards
    >> that you just can't bear the thought of running the nvidia binary
    >> drivers), and without a fan this particular incident won't reoccur.
    >> The fanless cards are plenty fast enough for all but the most extreme
    >> games.
    >>

    > Some of us just object to the binary driver because it's got bugs.
    > Having applications randomly closing is irritating, so I went back to
    > the nv driver. I suspect the binary driver can't really cope with
    > multiple processors because even the work-arounds I've seen don't work
    > on my system.

    I've seen no ill effects of the nvidia drivers on my quad-core
    machine. I don't have any reason to believe the binary drivers are
    any buggier than open drivers would be. Whatever caused your problems
    can't have been the nvidia drivers in isolation.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  10. Re: Graphics card blown up

    anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:

    > =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= writes:
    >>Marc writes:
    >>
    >>> My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan
    >>> blocked.
    >>>
    >>> Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    >>> Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)
    >>> It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids are raging
    >>> to have the PC working again as soon as possible.
    >>> Instead of racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported
    >>> card, I'd rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.
    >>>
    >>> So any sugestions are welcome

    >>I'd go for a fanless nvidia model. The nvidia chips are
    >>well-supported (if you're not a person of such high moral standards
    >>that you just can't bear the thought of running the nvidia binary
    >>drivers)

    > Even if you are moral scum, you might think twice before letting
    > Nvidia dictate when you can (or have to) upgrade your software, among
    > other things.

    I can obviously only upgrade when there's been new release. This is
    true for any piece of software I didn't write myself, i.e. the vast
    majority of the software running on my system. I don't see how
    nvidia, or anyone else, could force me to upgrade what I have on my
    machine. There are no expiring license keys or similar schemes (which
    I would consider evil).

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  11. Re: Graphics card blown up

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:17:07 +0000, Marc wrote:

    > My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan
    > blocked.
    >
    > Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    > Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)
    > It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids are
    > raging to have the PC working again as soon as possible. Instead of
    > racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported card, I'd
    > rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.
    >
    > So any sugestions are welcome
    >
    > Marc

    Anything with an Nvidia chipset will work fine with Linux.

  12. Re: Graphics card blown up

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > There is a comparision of different cards with opensource drivers at
    > http://www.free3d.org/

    Definately go with an open source driver, if you ever need to customize or
    upgrade your Kernel, then you will have not have the difficulty of getting
    your vendor to provide new drivers. I would go with a 3D compatible ATI card.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  13. Re: Graphics card blown up

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > "Dave {Reply Address In.sig}" <"noone$$"@llondel.org> writes:
    >
    >> Måns Rullgård wrote:

    >>> I'd go for a fanless nvidia model. The nvidia chips are
    >>> well-supported (if you're not a person of such high moral standards
    >>> that you just can't bear the thought of running the nvidia binary
    >>> drivers), and without a fan this particular incident won't reoccur.
    >>> The fanless cards are plenty fast enough for all but the most extreme
    >>> games.
    >>>

    >> Some of us just object to the binary driver because it's got bugs.
    >> Having applications randomly closing is irritating, so I went back to
    >> the nv driver. I suspect the binary driver can't really cope with
    >> multiple processors because even the work-arounds I've seen don't work
    >> on my system.

    > I've seen no ill effects of the nvidia drivers on my quad-core
    > machine. I don't have any reason to believe the binary drivers are
    > any buggier than open drivers would be. Whatever caused your problems
    > can't have been the nvidia drivers in isolation.

    It's been perfectly stable since I removed the 'driver "nvidia"' line
    and replaced it with 'driver "nv"'. There could be any number of hidden
    reasons why yours is stable and mine isn't, that's the beauty of a
    binary driver. (I'm not against them in general, only when they don't
    work for me...)

    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)
    http://www.llondel.org
    So many gadgets, so little time

  14. Re: Graphics card blown up

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= writes:
    >anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:
    >> Even if you are moral scum, you might think twice before letting
    >> Nvidia dictate when you can (or have to) upgrade your software, among
    >> other things.

    >I can obviously only upgrade when there's been new release. This is
    >true for any piece of software I didn't write myself, i.e. the vast
    >majority of the software running on my system.

    With the proprietary Nvidia driver, you cannot upgrade X or Linux
    whenever ther is a new release, but only when Nvidia releases a new
    driver that supports these X and Linux versions.

    > I don't see how
    >nvidia, or anyone else, could force me to upgrade what I have on my
    >machine.

    If there is a bug in the proprietary driver that you want fixed, and
    they eventually release a new driver where this bug might be fixed, it
    usually requires newer software than you have, so you have to upgrade.
    With a free driver, the bugfix could be backported (and stable
    distributions usually do this).

    Of course, the real fun comes when you have several proprietary
    drivers, with conflicting requirements wrt other software versions.

    - anton

  15. Re: Graphics card blown up

    Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> Marc writes:
    >>
    >>> My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan
    >>> blocked.
    >>>
    >>> Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    >>> Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)
    >>> It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids are raging
    >>> to have the PC working again as soon as possible.
    >>> Instead of racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported
    >>> card, I'd rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.
    >>>
    >>> So any sugestions are welcome

    >> I'd go for a fanless nvidia model. The nvidia chips are
    >> well-supported (if you're not a person of such high moral standards
    >> that you just can't bear the thought of running the nvidia binary
    >> drivers), and without a fan this particular incident won't reoccur.
    >> The fanless cards are plenty fast enough for all but the most extreme
    >> games.
    >>

    > Some of us just object to the binary driver because it's got bugs.
    > Having applications randomly closing is irritating, so I went back to
    > the nv driver. I suspect the binary driver can't really cope with
    > multiple processors because even the work-arounds I've seen don't work
    > on my system.

    I've NEVER had a problem with my 7600GT (well.. except with Beryl on
    occasion... but that's no surprise).

    Very stable card and excellent performer in Linux (especially for the
    price). Of course that's PCIe.

    I have a 6600GT AGP card... it's ok as well... and pretty dirt cheap
    nowadays.

  16. Re: Graphics card blown up

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
    >> Måns Rullgård wrote:

    >>> I'd go for a fanless nvidia model. The nvidia chips are
    >>> well-supported (if you're not a person of such high moral standards
    >>> that you just can't bear the thought of running the nvidia binary
    >>> drivers), and without a fan this particular incident won't reoccur.
    >>> The fanless cards are plenty fast enough for all but the most extreme
    >>> games.
    >>>

    >> Some of us just object to the binary driver because it's got bugs.
    >> Having applications randomly closing is irritating, so I went back to
    >> the nv driver. I suspect the binary driver can't really cope with
    >> multiple processors because even the work-arounds I've seen don't work
    >> on my system.
    >>

    > I've NEVER had a problem with my 7600GT (well.. except with Beryl on
    > occasion... but that's no surprise).
    >
    > Very stable card and excellent performer in Linux (especially for the
    > price). Of course that's PCIe.
    >
    > I have a 6600GT AGP card... it's ok as well... and pretty dirt cheap
    > nowadays.

    Oh... btw... the 7600GT is on openSUSE 10.2 on a 4-way Opteron.
    The 660GT is on my SUSE 9.3 box on a 2-way Opteron.

  17. Re: Graphics card blown up

    In article ,
    Dave {Reply Address In.sig} <"noone$$"@llondel.org> wrote:
    >Some of us just object to the binary driver because it's got bugs.
    >Having applications randomly closing is irritating, so I went back to
    >the nv driver. I suspect the binary driver can't really cope with
    >multiple processors because even the work-arounds I've seen don't work
    >on my system.

    What bugs? I have nVidia cards in several systems (a mix these days of
    mostly Athlon 64s, with a dual Opteron and a Core 2 Duo thrown in for good
    measure, all running AMD64 Gentoo), and I've not had crashing problems with
    any of them, video-related or otherwise. They're mostly workstations of one
    sort or another, though one is set up with MythTV and gets hammered with a
    fair bit of HD video.

    _/_
    (IIGS( http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
    \_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  18. Re: Graphics card blown up

    anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:

    > =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= writes:
    >>anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:
    >>> Even if you are moral scum, you might think twice before letting
    >>> Nvidia dictate when you can (or have to) upgrade your software, among
    >>> other things.

    >>I can obviously only upgrade when there's been new release. This is
    >>true for any piece of software I didn't write myself, i.e. the vast
    >>majority of the software running on my system.

    > With the proprietary Nvidia driver, you cannot upgrade X or Linux
    > whenever ther is a new release, but only when Nvidia releases a new
    > driver that supports these X and Linux versions.

    Not true. Nvidia supplies source code for the part of the driver that
    directly interfaces with the kernel or X. Only a major architectural
    change in one of those would require work on the part of Nvidia to
    make the drivers compatible. I'm talking about changes like going
    from Linux 2.4 to 2.6. It's something that has happened a few times
    over all the years.

    >> I don't see how nvidia, or anyone else, could force me to upgrade
    >> what I have on my machine.

    > If there is a bug in the proprietary driver that you want fixed, and
    > they eventually release a new driver where this bug might be fixed, it
    > usually requires newer software than you have, so you have to upgrade.
    > With a free driver, the bugfix could be backported (and stable
    > distributions usually do this).

    I don't believe in backports. Only Debian believes that bugs
    dissipate over time. Everybody else knows that they actually
    accumulate through the effect known as bitrot.

    > Of course, the real fun comes when you have several proprietary
    > drivers, with conflicting requirements wrt other software versions.

    Been there, done that, but nvidia drivers were never to blame.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  19. Re: Graphics card blown up

    Måns Rullgård staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:
    >> mans@mansr.com writes:
    >> With the proprietary Nvidia driver, you cannot upgrade X or Linux
    >> whenever there is a new release, but only when Nvidia releases a new
    >> driver that supports these X and Linux versions.

    Um. X has a defined and published stable ABI right now, so the evil
    binary X module isn't going to change much. The kernel's another story,
    but AFAICT the nVidia kernel build released on 06/07/08 will compile and
    run fine with vanilla kernels from a few months earlier than that and a
    year or so later than that.

    > Nvidia supplies source code for the part of the driver that directly
    > interfaces with the kernel or X. Only a major architectural change in
    > one of those would require work on the part of Nvidia to make the
    > drivers compatible. I'm talking about changes like going from Linux
    > 2.4 to 2.6.

    I think you forgot how often the kernel's internals change. Evil nvidia
    version 8776 requires a 50-line patch to compile properly on 2.6.20.1
    vanilla, since a couple of kernel functions changed the number of args
    they take after 2.6.19.5. Also, the source that is provided in the
    nVidia tarball is a small C wrapper around a large chunk of binary code
    (some of which emulates a Windows Registry, ick), which a number of
    people find distasteful.

    >>> I don't see how nvidia, or anyone else, could force me to upgrade
    >>> what I have on my machine.

    >> If there is a bug in the proprietary driver that you want fixed, and
    >> they eventually release a new driver where this bug might be fixed,
    >> it usually requires newer software than you have, so you have to
    >> upgrade.

    ....which you should be doing *anyway*, for basic sanity. It's much
    easier to do minor upgrades of things every week than to wait 1 year and
    then try to upgrade everything at once. Also, the nvidia-drivers
    package isn't really dependency-heavy. It depends on basic system
    utilities, libc, X, and oddly enough, GTK+ according to emerge
    --emptytree. (Compare that to, f'rexample, gnucash.)

    --
    "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"
    "Now do you understand why you shouldn't tease the Daleks, Beaver?"

  20. Re: Graphics card blown up

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 17:32:22 -0500, Dances With Crows wrote:

    > I'm talking about changes like going from Linux
    >> 2.4 to 2.6.

    > I think you forgot how often the kernel's internals change.

    pardon the misquotation and also pardon dropping an off-thread question in
    here but it does fit in a way.

    I am trying to get udf working and was advised to go to 2.6.20.4 (I am
    using SuSE 10.0 at 2.6.13-15.15.

    when I installed 2.6.20, I had trouble with iptables and with the mouse. I
    subsequently learned you have to upgrade iptables too. not sure what the
    mouse problem is.

    what is a good site which will detail what all needs fixing/upgrading in
    order to get 2.6.20 running?

    again, please excuse the intrusion.

    Felmon

+ Reply to Thread