Graphics card blown up - Hardware

This is a discussion on Graphics card blown up - Hardware ; ray wrote: > On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:17:07 +0000, Marc wrote: > >> My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan >> blocked. >> >> Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Graphics card blown up, new one installed OK

    ray wrote:

    > On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:17:07 +0000, Marc wrote:
    >
    >> My Medion (Radeon 9800xxl) graphical card overheated because the fan
    >> blocked.
    >>
    >> Can you give me some tips for a new graphics card with good support for
    >> Linux (Kubuntu Feisty)
    >> It's rather urgent, because it is school holiday, and the kids are raging
    >> to have the PC working again as soon as possible.
    >> Instead of racing off to the PC shop, and end up with a badly supported
    >> card, I'd rather wait a little longer and buy a well supported card.
    >>
    >> So any sugestions are welcome
    >>
    >> Marc

    > If you were happy with what you had, why not replace with a similar item?
    > Personally, I've had pretty good experience with Nvidia.

    Thanks for all the tip guys.

    I could'n t get the same card because Medion does not want to ship
    individual cards. They wanted to come and pick-up my PC at home, ship it
    to their repair center which is in another country, replace the card and
    deliver the PC at home again.
    This is not an option for me because I can perfectly replace a card myself
    and I think their procedure will cost more than the card itself and I will
    loose my pc for some weeks.

    So I went to the shop with a list of possible cards and ended up with a
    Geoforce 7300GT
    the AGP version was not passively cooled though, so I'll have to remember to
    clean it now and then.

    - Installed it in the machine.
    - first boot: Xserver did not start
    - second boot: Xserver starts in VESA mode
    - Changed in system settings to nvidea 7 series card & nv drivers
    - Third boot: everything works perfectly :-))

    Before the replacement, I was a bit affraid to blow up my new card because
    of wrong HW drivers in place, but luckily this didn't happen.

    --
    Marc

  2. Re: Graphics card blown up

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= writes:
    >anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:
    >> With the proprietary Nvidia driver, you cannot upgrade X or Linux
    >> whenever ther is a new release, but only when Nvidia releases a new
    >> driver that supports these X and Linux versions.

    >Not true. Nvidia supplies source code for the part of the driver that
    >directly interfaces with the kernel or X.

    Last I looked, such a shim layer existed only for the kernel.

    > Only a major architectural
    >change in one of those would require work on the part of Nvidia to
    >make the drivers compatible.

    No, a change in any of the functions that the shim layer calls
    requires a change in the shim layer.

    >I'm talking about changes like going
    >from Linux 2.4 to 2.6.

    Or, as mentioned in
    , going
    from 2.6.19.5 to 2.6.20.1.

    On the X side, the change from X.org 7.0 to 7.1 required changes in
    the proprietary drivers from Nvidia and ATI
    .

    >>> I don't see how nvidia, or anyone else, could force me to upgrade
    >>> what I have on my machine.

    >> If there is a bug in the proprietary driver that you want fixed, and
    >> they eventually release a new driver where this bug might be fixed, it
    >> usually requires newer software than you have, so you have to upgrade.
    >> With a free driver, the bugfix could be backported (and stable
    >> distributions usually do this).

    >I don't believe in backports.

    Then that is not an issue for you. But others use distributions like
    RHEL, Debian stable etc., and these people like to keep the same
    version of software for a long time, with only bug fixes applied.

    - anton

  3. Re: Graphics card blown up

    Just to add to this thread...

    When one deals with hardware that is open - and the driver is in the
    mainline kernel, life is good. Need a kernel upgrade? Then the driver comes
    working for free.

    At my last place of work, we had to develop a script to build NVidia
    graphics drivers (and ATI drivers too for Radeons) against whatever the
    current running kernel was (we had many kernel versions, and needed to
    patch kernels on a regular basis). And it was not easy. Very time consuming
    in fact. The drivers are shipped with a "download, run and install"
    mentality and are a pain to automate (we did it but it was painful and
    basically a waste of our time). Hand installation wasn't an option for 1000
    machines.

    It cost enough time to deal with that if there were any comparable graphics
    cards that didn't need binary drivers then we would have dropped NVidia and
    ATI like a hot rock.

    It did however cost NVidia WRT any mobo with an NForce chipset on - we
    refused to buy any for deployment. There was enough choice that we
    generally went with pure Intel chipsets. The pity was that it also cost AMD
    some business - we liked AMD CPUs, but most mobos were shipping with NForce
    chipsets which left a few based on VIA, which while passable, just were not
    a patch on (say) the Intel 875 WRT good linux support (This is a few years
    ago). At the end of the day, we just could not be bothered having another
    set of binary drivers to deploy, and we did not feel that the reverse
    engineered drivers were as good as the "proper" open source drivers for
    Intel.

    Cheers

    Tim

  4. Re: Graphics card blown up

    On Apr 5, 3:11 pm, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > "Dave {Reply Address In.sig}" <"noone$$"@llondel.org> writes:
    >

    > > Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > >> I'd go for a fanless nvidia model. The nvidia chips are
    > >> well-supported (if you're not a person of such high moral standards
    > >> that you just can't bear the thought of running the nvidia binary
    > >> drivers), and without a fan this particular incident won't reoccur.
    > >> The fanless cards are plenty fast enough for all but the most extreme
    > >> games.

    > > Some of us just object to the binary driver because it's got bugs.
    > > Having applications randomly closing is irritating, so I went back to
    > > the nv driver. I suspect the binary driver can't really cope with
    > > multiple processors because even the work-arounds I've seen don't work
    > > on my system.

    > I've seen no ill effects of the nvidia drivers on my quad-core
    > machine. I don't have any reason to believe the binary drivers are
    > any buggier than open drivers would be. Whatever caused your problems

    Apparently you haven't tried a wide enough assortment of opengl apps
    or running a few of them concurrently.

  5. Re: Graphics card blown up

    In article ,
    scott@alfter.DIESPAMMERSDIE.us (Scott Alfter) writes:

    > In article ,
    > Dave {Reply Address In.sig} <"noone$$"@llondel.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Some of us just object to the binary driver because it's got bugs.
    >> Having applications randomly closing is irritating, so I went back
    >> to the nv driver. I suspect the binary driver can't really cope with
    >> multiple processors because even the work-arounds I've seen don't
    >> work on my system.

    > What bugs? I have nVidia cards in several systems (a mix these days
    > of mostly Athlon 64s, with a dual Opteron and a Core 2 Duo thrown in
    > for good measure, all running AMD64 Gentoo), and I've not had crashing
    > problems with any of them, video-related or otherwise. They're mostly
    > workstations of one sort or another, though one is set up with MythTV
    > and gets hammered with a fair bit of HD video.

    What hardware are you using on the MythTV box? I'm considering
    building one. I've heard good things about nVidia hardware,
    particularly the GeForce 5200 chipset - but the dealers seem
    to be big on the new stuff like 7600, 8800, etc. Are these
    worth the extra cost? Do they do hardware MPEG-2 decoding?
    Can you even get a 5200 anymore?

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2