SATA controller cards - Hardware

This is a discussion on SATA controller cards - Hardware ; Does anyone have any recommendations/anti-recommendations for SATA controller cards? I'd like to set up a reasonably beefy software-RAID disk server, and need more that the 6 or so SATA ports that you get on the motherboard. Note that I neither ...

  1. SATA controller cards

    Does anyone have any recommendations/anti-recommendations for SATA
    controller cards? I'd like to set up a reasonably beefy software-RAID
    disk server, and need more that the 6 or so SATA ports that you get on
    the motherboard. Note that I neither need nor want a RAID controller,
    just something that will expose a bunch of disks to the OS with nice
    solid support from not-too-bleeding-edge kernels.

    --
    Mark Mackey http://www.swallowtail.org/
    code code code code code code code code code code code code code bug code co

  2. Re: SATA controller cards

    On 29 Mar 2007 Mark Mackey wrote:
    > Does anyone have any recommendations/anti-recommendations for SATA
    > controller cards? I'd like to set up a reasonably beefy software-RAID
    > disk server, and need more that the 6 or so SATA ports that you get on
    > the motherboard. Note that I neither need nor want a RAID controller,
    > just something that will expose a bunch of disks to the OS with nice
    > solid support from not-too-bleeding-edge kernels.

    Take a look at the 3ware Escalades. They are hardware RAID, but can
    be configured as JBOD to use software RAID, and come in sizes upto
    16 ports IIRC. I'm in the process of building a large fileserver
    based on those.

    I also have an existing server based on Areca RAID cards, which also
    work well. When I built that one, I had to download and install the
    kernel module, but my workstation (Ubuntu) has the module bundled in.

    The last time I looked around at some of the vendors I use, I had
    trouble finding multiport cards that didn't have RAID built into
    them.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Zawrotny
    Institute of Molecular Biophysics

  3. Re: SATA controller cards

    In article ,
    Michael Zawrotny wrote:
    >Take a look at the 3ware Escalades. They are hardware RAID, but can
    >be configured as JBOD to use software RAID, and come in sizes upto
    >16 ports IIRC. I'm in the process of building a large fileserver
    >based on those.

    Yes, I know about those, but they are horribly expensive if all you want
    is a 4-port JBOD SATA controller. I'd rather not be paying for hardware
    RAID facilities I'm not going to use.

    --
    Mark Mackey http://www.swallowtail.org/
    code code code code code code code code code code code code code bug code co
    de code code code bug code code code code code code code code code code code
    code code code code code code code code code code code code code code code c

  4. Re: SATA controller cards

    On 30 Mar 2007, Mark Mackey wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Michael Zawrotny wrote:
    > >Take a look at the 3ware Escalades. They are hardware RAID, but can
    > >be configured as JBOD to use software RAID, and come in sizes upto
    > >16 ports IIRC. I'm in the process of building a large fileserver
    > >based on those.

    > Yes, I know about those, but they are horribly expensive if all you want
    > is a 4-port JBOD SATA controller. I'd rather not be paying for hardware
    > RAID facilities I'm not going to use.

    Rick Moen's page (http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html)
    indicates that the Addonics ADST114 is a fakeraid based on the
    SiI3114, that goes for about $50 US. I haven't used any of the
    Addonics or other SiI based cards, so caveat emptor.

    There is also the Promise TX4 that runs about $80 US. I haven't
    used this either, but I've got a system here running here with
    the Promise EX8350 ($450; I had to build the driver myself) that
    has worked flawlessly for 18 months.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Zawrotny
    Institute of Molecular Biophysics
    Florida State University | email: zawrotny@sb.fsu.edu
    Tallahassee, FL 32306-4380 | phone: (850) 644-0069

  5. Re: SATA controller cards

    Mark Mackey wrote:

    > Does anyone have any recommendations/anti-recommendations for SATA
    > controller cards? I'd like to set up a reasonably beefy software-RAID
    > disk server, and need more that the 6 or so SATA ports that you get on
    > the motherboard. Note that I neither need nor want a RAID controller,
    > just something that will expose a bunch of disks to the OS with nice
    > solid support from not-too-bleeding-edge kernels.

    How beefy? Gigabyte sell a mobo with 8 SATA ports (DS4 and DQ6 IIRC) which
    would give you about 3.2TB with RAID5 based on 500GB disks, no hotspares,
    going to around 4.9TB with 750s or 2TB with 320GB disks. I've allowed for
    gigi-giga conversion in that calculation.

    320GB seem to be Seagate's sweet spot at the moment on the 7200.10 series
    (if you can avoid the dreaded chinese ones) and for Samsung disks it makes
    little difference to use the 500GB ones in terms of price/GB.

    That's quite a lot considering that at my last place I built a 13TB server
    to backup the entire department (> dozen primary fileservers, 1000 odd
    users).

    Or is it for multimedia needs ;->

    I do agree with you in your choice of software RAID. W owuld recommend to
    make sure you use a linux kernel 2.6.17 or later as a few "missing"
    features have finally been added that, IMO, lead it to not only being
    potentially faster than most mid range RAID units (generically true of any
    recent linux version) (my experience is with Infortrend Eonstores), but
    also now as featureful in terms of media checking and online
    restriping/expansion.

    HTH

    Tim

  6. Re: SATA controller cards

    "Tim S" a écrit dans le message de
    > Mark Mackey wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone have any recommendations/anti-recommendations for SATA
    > > controller cards? I'd like to set up a reasonably beefy

    software-RAID
    > > disk server, and need more that the 6 or so SATA ports that you get

    on
    > > the motherboard. Note that I neither need nor want a RAID

    controller,
    > > just something that will expose a bunch of disks to the OS with nice
    > > solid support from not-too-bleeding-edge kernels.

    Hello,

    i've promise sata tx2+ (4 sata ports).
    it's a good card but be aware with the disk compatibity list on their
    website, i've only maxtor and i've some problems with it.
    promise is aware of maxtor compatibility issue (however, it's not
    indicated) but have no patch/firmware for correct it.

    Regards,
    Mobidyc

+ Reply to Thread