Shoddy hardware and support from NCST - Hardware

This is a discussion on Shoddy hardware and support from NCST - Hardware ; I'm posting this because I'm curious if anyone has run into this company - NCS Technologies ( www.ncst.com ) We just installed some Linux servers based on their boxes and nothing went right. The boxes shipped with no documentation, no ...

  1. Shoddy hardware and support from NCST

    I'm posting this because I'm curious if anyone has run into this
    company - NCS Technologies (www.ncst.com)
    We just installed some Linux servers based on their boxes and nothing
    went right. The boxes shipped with no documentation, no driver
    support, no floppy or CDROM (yes - how do like upgrading to CenTos
    4.4 using a USB floppy and USB cdrom? - it is ugly...).

    But the biggest problem I have is their total secrecy about who
    provides local hardware support. We have installations in Israel and
    Poland with their equipment and so far they have been tight-lipped
    about local support just saying that they can do it and providing us
    with a support number in Virginia.

    I notice that at least one other person has complained about them -
    see http://www.software.co.il/blog/2007/...f_managem.html

    Any tips, feedback appreciated.

    Danny

  2. Re: Shoddy hardware and support from NCST

    onlyjazz@gmail.com wrote:

    > I'm posting this because I'm curious if anyone has run into this
    > company - NCS Technologies (www.ncst.com)
    > We just installed some Linux servers based on their boxes and nothing
    > went right. The boxes shipped with no documentation, no driver
    > support, no floppy or CDROM (yes - how do like upgrading to CenTos
    > 4.4 using a USB floppy and USB cdrom? - it is ugly...).
    >
    > But the biggest problem I have is their total secrecy about who
    > provides local hardware support. We have installations in Israel and
    > Poland with their equipment and so far they have been tight-lipped
    > about local support just saying that they can do it and providing us
    > with a support number in Virginia.
    >
    > I notice that at least one other person has complained about them -
    > see
    > http://www.software.co.il/blog/2007/...f_managem.html
    >

    > Any tips, feedback appreciated.
    >
    > Danny

    Not to be rude, but why didn't your company buy a better known brand with a
    sensible international support programme? It's going to cost more in terms
    of staff time cleaning up a pear in a far away country than the difference
    in the cost of the hardware.

    There server offerings don't look anything special, but the way the web site
    is dressed up I bet they're expensive. Is it practical to take the hit of
    arranging your own support provision where you do have their stuff
    installed?

    If it were me, I'd be looking more towards Sun, Dell or HP for this sort of
    stuff - in particular, Sun's opteron boxes (Sunfire x2100/x4100)[1] are not
    stupidly expensive and have excellent linux support, hardware remote
    managemnet LOM, twin SAS disks (x2100) and are very very good IMO. The few
    Dells I've seen have been solidly built and I've know people who are happy
    with HP servers. In all three cases you have large international companys
    with at least a track record of local support (milage varies of course, but
    at least you have a chance to research it ahead of time).

    Sorry, I realise this doesn't help your current predicament, but for next
    time...

    Cheers

    Tim

    [1] Sure, I don't know which server you actually bought, but assuming it was
    a standard 2U-3U offering... Are they full of disks?

  3. Re: Shoddy hardware and support from NCST

    onlyjazz@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm posting this because I'm curious if anyone has run into this
    > company - NCS Technologies (www.ncst.com)
    > We just installed some Linux servers based on their boxes and nothing
    > went right. The boxes shipped with no documentation, no driver
    > support, no floppy or CDROM (yes - how do like upgrading to CenTos
    > 4.4 using a USB floppy and USB cdrom? - it is ugly...).
    >
    > But the biggest problem I have is their total secrecy about who
    > provides local hardware support. We have installations in Israel and
    > Poland with their equipment and so far they have been tight-lipped
    > about local support just saying that they can do it and providing us
    > with a support number in Virginia.
    >
    > I notice that at least one other person has complained about them -
    > see http://www.software.co.il/blog/2007/...f_managem.html

    I've had good luck with them purchasing 1U servers. Rarely need to
    send something back for repair. Never considered on site or out of country
    service though.

    They come with linux pre-installed. Work fine but I have my own custom
    setup I install.

    As for the CDROM, if you wanted one you should have bought one.

+ Reply to Thread