Linux access to Windows partition - Hardware

This is a discussion on Linux access to Windows partition - Hardware ; OK. Here is the deal. I installed Windows XP and Linux (Red Hat) on the same machine. Installation went fine and I can choose which OS I want. My question is this: Is there a way I can read the ...

  1. Linux access to Windows partition

    OK. Here is the deal.

    I installed Windows XP and Linux (Red Hat) on the same machine.
    Installation went fine and I can choose which OS I want. My question is
    this:

    Is there a way I can read the XP partition from Linux?

    When I look at the drive through linux and only shows the linux partition.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Linux access to Windows partition

    Deathtrap staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I installed Windows XP and Linux (Red Hat) on the same machine. Is
    > there a way I can read the [NTFS or FAT, you didn't say which]
    > partition from Linux? When I look at the drive [in] linux, [it] only
    > shows the linux partition.

    You need to put a line for the 'Doze partition in /etc/fstab .
    Specifics depend on where the 'Doze partition is and which kind of disk
    it's on. This is usually /dev/sda1 or /dev/hda1 , modify to taste
    according to what you get from fdisk -l .

    Read-write on FAT:

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/windoze vfat noauto,users,umask=000 0 0

    Read-write on NTFS, requires installing ntfs-3g and the FUSE kernel
    modules. This *may* not be n00b-friendly depending on distro. Using
    type ntfs instead will give you read-only access:

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/windoze ntfs-3g noauto,users,umask=000 0 0

    ....note that /mnt/windoze must exist and must be a directory. The
    mountpoint can be anywhere you like, though usually you keep them under
    /mnt for sanity. With these fstab lines, ordinary users can mount and
    umount the partitions at will. HTH,

    --
    "Oh bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."
    --MHR on alt.fan.pratchett