Linux compatible? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Linux compatible? - Hardware ; Hi all, I am thinking of putting together a new computer. The motherboard is an MSI K9AGM2-L. It has an onboard graphics subsystem that is ATI X1200. Will I have any problems with this? The other concern is the fan ...

  1. Linux compatible?

    Hi all,

    I am thinking of putting together a new computer. The
    motherboard is an MSI K9AGM2-L. It has an onboard
    graphics subsystem that is ATI X1200. Will I have any
    problems with this?

    The other concern is the fan height. It will be in a 1U case.
    Does anyone make a low profile fan for this AM2 type
    socket?

    thanks,
    charles......

  2. Re: Linux compatible?

    "***** charles" writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am thinking of putting together a new computer. The
    > motherboard is an MSI K9AGM2-L. It has an onboard
    > graphics subsystem that is ATI X1200. Will I have any
    > problems with this?

    You should have no problems with basic 2D graphics. The ATI 3D
    drivers for Linux are unfortunately less than stable, unless they've
    improved recently.

    > The other concern is the fan height. It will be in a 1U case. Does
    > anyone make a low profile fan for this AM2 type socket?

    The AM2 socket is mainly used in the desktop market, so finding a 1U
    cooler may prove tricky. The latest AMD server chips use Socket F.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: Linux compatible?

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > "***** charles" writes:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I am thinking of putting together a new computer. The
    >> motherboard is an MSI K9AGM2-L. It has an onboard
    >> graphics subsystem that is ATI X1200. Will I have any
    >> problems with this?

    > You should have no problems with basic 2D graphics. The ATI 3D
    > drivers for Linux are unfortunately less than stable, unless they've
    > improved recently.

    Note that the latest ATI drivers make no mention of supporting that
    chipset. The Radeon Xpress 1250 is supported but the X1200 is not
    mentioned at all.

  4. Re: Linux compatible?

    > The other concern is the fan height. It will be in a 1U case.
    > Does anyone make a low profile fan for this AM2 type
    > socket?

    For 1U cases, it's sooo much easier to buy the mobo and chassis together,
    like a Tyan or Supermicro. Various "white box" 1U chassis with which I have
    worked have had random oddities that made life difficult, from cable routing
    to motherboard standoffs which were too tall to allow even most 1U coolers.

    But, if you want to go ahead, a googling for "am2 1u heatsink" turned up
    and
    h,
    in addition to other products as well.

    steve

  5. Re: Linux compatible?

    "***** charles" writes:
    >I am thinking of putting together a new computer. The
    >motherboard is an MSI K9AGM2-L. It has an onboard
    >graphics subsystem that is ATI X1200. Will I have any
    >problems with this?

    There are no free drivers for the X1xxx series with any acceleration,
    not even 2D acceleration. You can probably use that board with VESA
    drivers with pure software 2D (and 3D) support, but I have found pure
    software 2D to be annoyingly slower than hardware-accelerated 2D.

    You can also try your luck with ATI's proprietary driver, but that
    chains you to their whims when it comes to bug-fixes and updates.

    Of course, if you are only using the board as a server, you might not
    care for that.

    - anton